PDA

View Full Version : To Anyone Who Has Done Muay Thai

notrightn0w
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I've been training Muay Thai for about almost year now, My elbows went through the deformation/redeveloping process some time ago. While it made leaning on things uncomfortable, I dealt with it easily.

Now my knees have been going through it, for a little under two months, and it is exponentially more painful. It's not affecting my walking, it makes running slightly uncomfortable and the clinch very painful. I figure this will last longer than the elbows as the knees have constant pressure on them. I knew this was going to happen, because one of my friends started training BJJ before I did MT and he told me that the guys in his gym who were starting it were in an absurd amount of pain when this process began.

Now, here comes the quesiton.

How long should this last? Should I worry if it passes a certain period of time?

Noob
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I honestly don't know. I had the elbow pain, and even pain in my forearms from holding pads and shins from constant bagwork. But I can't say I've ever had the knee pain.

valheruking
12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I am getting near 2 years of training and i am pretty used to most pains, but obviously your going to feel like shit the odd day, especially if you havent warmed up properly , rough sparring etc.

I think it comes down to the level of training your going through and being taught under, of course in true Muay Thai training you have to practice knees, elbows, kicks, punches etc repeatedly to get your self used to trowing the strikes as well as building up a tolerance for continually hitting and being hit in these areas, obviously a guy who has been kicking a pad everyday for the last couple of years is going to have stronger shins than a guy who has just started or just boxes or whatever, that process of strenghting those areas can be pretty sore.

Ubermensch
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I have never had problems with my knees when training...Only when I knee wrong. Shins now that is a different story you can build that callous up and get the marrow from shin splints spread it around in there but that shit still hurts after you have checked a few really good kicks. As for elbows sometimes they hurt but sometimes all different parts of my body hurt when I was training Muay Thai. Don't know what to tell you.

notrightn0w
12-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I am getting near 2 years of training and i am pretty used to most pains, but obviously your going to feel like shit the odd day, especially if you havent warmed up properly , rough sparring etc.

I think it comes down to the level of training your going through and being taught under, of course in true Muay Thai training you have to practice knees, elbows, kicks, punches etc repeatedly to get your self used to trowing the strikes as well as building up a tolerance for continually hitting and being hit in these areas, obviously a guy who has been kicking a pad everyday for the last couple of years is going to have stronger shins than a guy who has just started or just boxes or whatever, that process of strenghting those areas can be pretty sore.

yeah, i boxed for about two years. My shins are okay. I didn't go in green. I prepped a bit to reduced the pain that would slow me down.

I have never had problems with my knees when training...Only when I knee wrong. Shins now that is a different story you can build that callous up and get the marrow from shin splints spread it around in there but that shit still hurts after you have checked a few really good kicks. As for elbows sometimes they hurt but sometimes all different parts of my body hurt when I was training Muay Thai. Don't know what to tell you.

My shins were fine, but I know the pain will get worse when i have stiffer competition. My elbows were bad for about a month or so. But my knees have been constantly uncomfortable for the last 7 weeks or so. Not totally painful, just when I use them to strike. As I said when I run it's not bad, but I can feel some abnormality. They were okay before, now they are really sharp. Enough to where you can see the sharp edges when my legs are straight, apparently my therapist and acupuncturist have both noticed it. My mates told me to ice them down, my coach pretty much told me to beat them up some more. lol

He is giving me two weeks off though, somedays it eels like a blessing, somedays a curse.

Ramma
12-07-2007, 04:23 PM
A big part of it depends on your body and how you take care of it.

I have had a finger injury since September.. and it is just starting to go away.. because you are constantly aggrevating it.. it only slows the process...

I would suggest babying it while you are not at class (ice packs and the whole nine yards). A week off is probably a good idea.

southsider
01-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah there will be pain!! But if it passes a certain period of time I'd actually check it out with a doctor, in case you have a hairline fracture or something. This may lead to improper healing if not dealt with.

Has anyone done any research on the long-term effects (i.e. at old age) of intense conditioning? E.g. any increase in the risk of arthritis and related problems?

matto
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
iv def had small amounts of shin and elbow pain over the years but im pritty used to it not. i cant say iv ever had any knee problems that i think are from muay thai. but knee problems can be horrible, it can affect every aspect of your game and keep you immobilized at times.

smoking weed or taking some oxies from time to time is pritty good. but as iv learned, smoking weed and cigarettes does really fuck up your cardio. it makes a world of difference, so try to keep that to a minimal.

phunt
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
smoking weed and cigarettes does really fuck up your cardio. it makes a world of difference, so try to keep that to a minimal.

Tell that to Nick Diaz, the dude is chronic and he runs triathalons for crying out loud.

Best bet to deal with the knees is to use ice packs and take a few days rest. Your body needs time to recover. If the knee pain keeps up goto the doctor for sure before a more serious problem develops.

chinasoso
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
The show looks amazing.