PDA

View Full Version : What new feature would you like to see?

Steel
12-07-2007, 05:38 AM
What is one new feature, option or means of improvement you'd like to see here for 2008?

You all visit other sites..tell us what you'd like to see integrated here.

Thanks for your input.

2mcgrath
12-07-2007, 05:47 AM
i wish we could post pics,like thumbnails that you click on, or the whole pic,from where ever you have them stored on your computer,i have seen other sites set up like this and it seems to work great.

instead of having to host them at photobucket etc.and then having to put in the image code.to show them here

Noob
12-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Keep the ideas to a reasonable level. We are saints, not magicians.

Just kidding. We're not really even saints. So aim lower.

2mcgrath
12-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Keep the ideas to a reasonable level. We are saints, not magicians.

Just kidding. We're not really even saints. So aim lower.

so am i aiming to high,or asking for a miracle,i thought you guys could do anything here?

atj-lucko
12-07-2007, 09:54 AM
getting rid of the Vibrant highlighting words thing..

Noob
12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
so am i aiming to high,or asking for a miracle,i thought you guys could do anything here?

We can do a lot of things, but we're limited by the program that runs the forums. If a feature doesn't exist, we can't really just write new code for it. I'm a mod, but I'm not a computer programmer.

getting rid of the Vibrant highlighting words thing..

You need an adblocker. You running IE or Firefox?

Dan0
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I would like to see several tabs linking our site to other sites. This will give us all easy and quick access to the most current news stories.

Example links to MMA Weekly, Tatme, Gracie Fighter, Gracie Mag, Fight Opinion, etc.etc.

Once we click on the tab it takes us to the other site and we can search for stories on those sites and paste them here.

I currently have about thirty sites bookmarked that I use each day, but having the tabs right there on the MMANews main page would be awesome (geez I sound like I'm 13).

Clint
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Nah you are definitely within reason. I think I've seen modules that will do this

Gmunit
12-07-2007, 05:46 PM
wasn't sure where to put this b/c it probably doesn't deserve a thread

but I think we should have a sticky thread where it states someone screen OLD screen name and the one they've changed it to

JMH
12-07-2007, 06:08 PM
What about something showcasing mma related art/comics videos and maybe an archive of people's funny pics/gifs from their avatarts and sigs?
or even a record of the sig bets so that people can get a good laugh?

Clint
12-07-2007, 06:14 PM
We're getting some decent ideas. Everyone keep them coming.

2mcgrath
12-07-2007, 07:16 PM
also i wish it would show how much vbookie each member has,like maybe it could show up every time they post in a thread.like maybe under their post count,or maybe under their little green rep things

Clint
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
also i wish it would show how much vbookie each member has,like maybe it could show up every time they post in a thread.like maybe under their post count,or maybe under their little green rep things
There is an option for that in the admin controls and I tried my damnded to make it work but it never did.I might have to hunt for an attachment for this.

puhalu
12-07-2007, 11:23 PM
but I think we should have a sticky thread where it states someone screen OLD screen name and the one they've changed it to

maybe an archive of people's funny pics/gifs from their avatarts and sigs?

These are great ideas

Also, there has been talk recently of creating a poker room. Is this a possibility? If not, then how about a link to another site where members are playing?

Clint
12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I went ahead and made the name change thread. I like the sig bet archive. I'm just trying to figure out a system for doing it.

Noob
12-08-2007, 01:17 AM
These are great ideas

Also, there has been talk recently of creating a poker room. Is this a possibility? If not, then how about a link to another site where members are playing?

This is where we normally play:

http://games.yahoo.com/card-games

If you want to get a game started, post here and see if anyone else is on:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=18880

sandywh
12-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Did we ever get anywhere on the "fight tracker" feature?

I wouldn't mind seeing a fighter vault where we can post videos, or interviews of individual fighters.

Why not add sections for the older / higher repp'd members to aide in some of the smaller issues (polls to vote for this or that)

smoogy
12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Guitars that are, like... double guitars?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Simpsons_8F21.png

Bullock
12-09-2007, 12:22 AM
I like your thinking, Smoogster.

Punk Ass
12-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a great idea that I think would never fly, but nothing beats a failier but a try.

How about changing this site from a specific MMA site to a Sports news site so I can argue with more people about basketball, football and other sports.

How about: mmanews-plus.com??

Or a conjoining forum? dealing specifically with other sports?:grinsmile1:

This is the only forum I'm affiliated with, and don't plan on going to another one.

Punk Ass
12-09-2007, 01:46 AM
There is a "Other Sports" Forum.lolYeh but I mean the admin. accually doing updates on other sporting events in the main site.

smoogy
12-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Yeh but I mean the admin. accually doing updates on other sporting events in the main site.

Luis Cruz was trying to do this with his new site and so far its a trainwreck. If you want other sport news go to ESPN or find a good blog, there arent enough resources to cover everything.

Bullock
12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Kind of pointless for an MMA site to follow other sports IMO.

Jon-E-Law
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Kind of pointless for an MMA site to follow other sports IMO.

Yea agreed, but it is nice to have somthing else to read when there is no new news.

Noob did a pay it forword kinda a thing in the grappling forum. It would be nice i guess to have it for anything not just grappling stuff. I truly dont think anyone even knows about it cause its in that forum.

Ubermensch
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
EDITING THE TITLE OF YOUR OWN POST!!! We should be able to do it. It wastes mods time and is annoying when you have a small keyboard like mine.

Clint
12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
EDITING THE TITLE OF YOUR OWN POST!!! We should be able to do it. It wastes mods time and is annoying when you have a small keyboard like mine.
Surprisingly enough there isn't a setting to allow you to edit your own thread title. We would effectively have to make everyone mods, which obviously we can't do.

I assume it's one of those things that was just overlooked on this version of vbulletin

2mcgrath
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
another idea i have,and i dont how hard this would be.maybe have a poll for each event we would like to cover.where people can go in and vote for which guy they think will win,between each matchup.

and maybe we could use the outcome of that poll for the vbookie section.to have our own mmanews odds for betting

Jon-E-Law
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe have vbookie dollars show by there name?

Jza
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
how about a small arcade
people could waste more time on ya website then :)

sodium_nitrate
12-17-2007, 12:17 AM
i like the idea of having a game somewhere on the forum. something that tests your mma knowledge. something like the mma quiz of the day. whoever gets the answer right wins rep, or vbookie bucks. it could also be forum related. like posting history quizzes or something.

2mcgrath
12-17-2007, 03:51 AM
i like the idea of having a game somewhere on the forum. something that tests your mma knowledge. something like the mma quiz of the day. whoever gets the answer right wins rep, or vbookie bucks. it could also be forum related. like posting history quizzes or something.

i would say vbookie as a reward,or all the new guys would hang out there trying to get enough rep for what they need

sodium_nitrate
12-17-2007, 04:50 AM
i would say vbookie as a reward,or all the new guys would hang out there trying to get enough rep for what they need

that wouldn't hurt. all those noobs soaking up info about mma would make them way more knowledgable posters. it's like a reward system while going to school. we could call the section 'mma school'
mom: 'what did you learn in school today honey?' child: 'today, i learned how to properly apply a rear naked choke.' bam. we're all winners.

markzabin
12-18-2007, 10:07 PM

EDITING THE TITLE OF YOUR OWN POST!!! We should be able to do it.

This is all we really need for Christmas, and the whole fighter profile thing to come about

Jon-E-Law
12-19-2007, 08:39 PM
wow that little window that pops up when you rep someone is fucking awsome. my new favorite add thanks.

iverbure
12-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Maybe have a section where it says the names of the people who got banned, i mean not those who have like 4 posts, but those who were regular members and the other members might ask where this person go, because they used to always be on or something.

Also has the site ever considered seperating the general forum into two main sections. UFC forum, for the most part over 50% of the dicussions and posts are about the UFC fighter and UFC organization.

The main site has the ufc news seperate from the other news so maybe we can have the other news seperated from the UFC news.

Its nice that the site is willing to expand by adding stuff that the members want. so far some good ideas.

valheruking
12-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Not if i have anything to do with it lol, i hate when other sites have a UFC section and nobody posts in anything else, its bad enough they have monopolized the market, without us adding to it by having a section for the UFC, i like the way our forum is run cause its a general mma section so you can post about any mma news, and hopefully those that are only interested in the UFC will pick up a thing or 2 about the whole mma world when they have to look for UFC news in a varied section.

Clint
12-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah the only advantage of splitting them is at times the UFC news can swamp the other orgs news pretty quickly.

I entertained the idea at one time of the generall area being split into a news section where people would post and discuss new news and a discussions section for everything that isn't new news but we don't get enough new threads alot of the time to warrant it.

iverbure
12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah the only advantage of splitting them is at times the UFC news can swamp the other orgs news pretty quickly.

I entertained the idea at one time of the generall area being split into a news section where people would post and discuss new news and a discussions section for everything that isn't new news but we don't get enough new threads alot of the time to warrant it.

The first part of your post is what made me think we should split them up, because if you post something about the IFL, it ends up on the sencond page within half a day with only 10 views lol.

However Val's post brings up a good point, but until people actaully want to learn about other mma news than its not like putting the ufc and other mma news on two different sites. For the most part if people only read the news from the first page of the forum its mostly about the ufc discussions.

I see your point however i think its a catch 22.

Bullock
12-21-2007, 10:10 PM
how about a small arcade
people could waste more time on ya website then :)

that would be cool.

I know they have forum arcade applications... hmmm