PDA

View Full Version : Securing the RNC

NixHex
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
After watching my boy Jeff Curran sit on Urijah Faber's back for 4 minutes without even coming close to sinking in the RNC it got me wondering... what is your most effective way of getting the RNC?

I have a hard time hand-fighting and can get neutralized when it's 2-on-2 with the hands. So I like bringing a leg up (holding over/under hooks) on the overhooked side, and try to trap their arm, then I got the 3-on-2 advantage. Even if I can't trap the arm, it's caused enough of a distraction for them to give me the space needed for the RNC.

What are your preferences?

deeznizzies
12-13-2007, 11:46 AM
for the most part, i like to just try and get them to lift their chin with some punches to the side/ribs or head... nothing really that hard but enough to feel and hopefully they bring that chin up just enough for my arm to get underneath...

willieshatner
12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
when I'm on my back I like to rock slightly to a side to let them try to escape away from the choke and then switch choking arms on them at the last second. its demoralizing because they think they're almost out and then they're caught again.

I also occasionally set people people up by crossing my feet. They go for the simple ankle lock counter and that gives me the window I need to secure the choke.

I also get lots of RNCs by threatening with collar chokes but that doesn't work without a gi. I think a lot of it just comes down to details, like sliding your thumb behind their ear down under their chin

Brandon
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I try to get an arm underneath their neck just before, or during the process of taking their back.

ufobydeath
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
At first I thought this video was the whole point of the thread, as it's basically called the same thing ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/176SLdBhj_A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/176SLdBhj_A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I learned the RNC from this vid (no joke, I suck that badly) and usually do it this way if I have time. If not I usually use a gable-grip instead of the figure four and try to rip their heads off or put my "blade" against their windpipes for a quick pain submission.

To secure it I usually flatten my hand out and slide it in under the chin of my opponent. Strangely enough I've found this to work 90% of the time, usually because of the sweat we've both worked up.