PDA

View Full Version : grappling tourneys

mcdev88
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
i live in illinois, and i have been looking for some grappling tourneys to go to. i would be in the novice section and would prob lose but i really want to go.

i was just wondering if anybody had any website that i could go to and explore some options from a tournament here in the midwest.

mcdev88
12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Here are a few in the midwest

http://www.submissionhunt.com/ (May 10th, 2008)

http://www.sasquatchopen.com/rules.html (April 26th, 2008)

HAYASTAN GRAPPLING CHALLENGE
http://www.icompete.org/event/view/532 (Feb 16th, 2008)

Arnold Grappling Classic (I think this is going to be the same weekend as the UFC event here in Columbus again this year)
http://www.nagafighter.com/arnolds2008_home.asp (March 1st, 2nd)

Corrall Combat Classic (Jan 26th, 2008) Indiana University
http://www.onthemat.com/articles/C3_CORRALS_COMBAT_CLASSIC_WINTER_GAMES_12_14_2007. html

Hope that helps man, should give you a few months to get in tip top shape
yeah man those do help. i had found a couple of those when i had checked... but most of those were new. i am going to go to a coouple here before long.

unforntunatley i cannot go to the naga one during the ufc event and the arnld classic. i was planning on going to those events already but i had something come up and it nixed those plans.

i will rep you at some point but i need to spread some around.

Palma
01-23-2008, 06:56 AM
OK Guys,

I have my first BJJ tourny this saturday... I'm feeling good. Been going to pratice 3 to 4 times a week, been running 3 times a week, and been wrestling with the HS 1 to 2 times a week. All the experienced white belts from my school just got promoted, so I think I should do good, but you never know I guess. If I lose I will just blame it on getting old and do the Master's Division next time, lol...

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

willieshatner
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
OK Guys,

I have my first BJJ tourny this saturday... I'm feeling good. Been going to pratice 3 to 4 times a week, been running 3 times a week, and been wrestling with the HS 1 to 2 times a week. All the experienced white belts from my school just got promoted, so I think I should do good, but you never know I guess. If I lose I will just blame it on getting old and do the Master's Division next time, lol...

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

good luck! be sure to report on the event

try to joke around or something before you compete so you don't burn up nervous energy

mcdev88
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
o yeah my 1st one is sat also. im pretty pumped, wish me luck as well.

Kimuras"R"Us
01-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Give em hell Guys. And calm the fuck down beforehand.

Palma
01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
good luck! be sure to report on the event

try to joke around or something before you compete so you don't burn up nervous energy

Give em hell Guys. And calm the fuck down beforehand.

Thanks guys... I am doing my best not be nervous. It's a small tournament, but I think when I get out there my first time it will probably feel like my first wrestling match except I won't be wearing a singlet.

I'm going to try and just have fun.

Good luck MC,

mcdev88
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys... I am doing my best not be nervous. It's a small tournament, but I think when I get out there my first time it will probably feel like my first wrestling match except I won't be wearing a singlet.

I'm going to try and just have fun.

Good luck MC,
thanks bro. im gonna be tryin my best also.

ozzy2525
01-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Im going to Grapples quest beast of the east 4 on march 15th

mcdev88
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
i placed 4th in my no-gi 185 division. i am pretty happy with my performance. i was real nervous at 1st though. haha

Palma
01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I blew it... I am not too happy with myself.

I don't know if it was cutting weight, being sick, or just nerves but I had no energy when it mattered.

We started off and I instantly shot in for a double leg. I got both legs and was bringing the legs together but I just couldn't find the strength to stand up with it so he sprawls and starts seperating my grip. We staying in that position for about 45 seconds and then I back up and stood up. He straighted immediatly and I shot in for a single and got it, but I hit the ground and my base was off and he somehow got side control on me... He held a head and arm from side control for over three minutes. He wasn't trying to sub or advance just hold me there. I finally rocked him over enough to get my leg around his head and get out from underneith him and he started to go for my back. He only had one hook in and didn't even have both arms behind my head and he some how RN-choked me... I was so pissed at myself. I thought he shouldn't have been able to tap me from that position but my trachea still hurts so I guess he was just strong enough to pull it off with one hook and one arm.

I am just going to keep doing tournaments until I start getting good at compeitions.

mcdev88
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Any details? Im curious to see how your matches went.
yeah sorry... that was just a quick update. well i weighed in at 179.4 i wanted to make sure i made weight.
my 1st match i circled with the guy and shot a single. i took him down fairly easily but he got me in a gulliotine in half guard. it was choking me but i was ok. i got out of it after 45 secs or so, i passed and mounted him, i arm bared him shortly after that.

match 2- i used an arm drag and took this guy down fast. i was in his guard and worked from there, im not sure how but he swept me at some point. he went for an arm bar and defended and mounted him. i was up on points and with 1 min left went for an armbar. didnt get it but i pulled rubber guard and used retard control to wait out the decision. i won 6-0 i think.

match 3- shot a single and took this guy down as well, he also got a tight gullotine in half guard. this one almost made me pass out but i worked out of it as well. he pulled guard and eventually swept me about 5 mins in he got me in a deep arm bar that i was close to gettin out of but he really cranked it and i wasnt gonna get my arm broken. this guy really over powered me.

match 4- for 3rd place. i was very tired already and he took me down and i pulled guard i caught him in a triangle, but i was missing something not sure what it was though. after holding it for 1 min and 30 secs or so my legs weakend and he broke out and took my back. i got out and pulled guard he passed again and mounted and took my back again. he rnc'd me after that about 4:30 in. this guy also over powered me quite a bit.

Palma
01-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you have the right attitude Palma. Trust me you learn the most from your loses. Keep it up man

Thanks buddy,

I have to keep the tourney's in perspective... they are just a higher form of practice at this point.

Raiders18
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
i placed 4th in my no-gi 185 division. i am pretty happy with my performance. i was real nervous at 1st though. haha

In my first one i got 4th as well. Won my first two in under 30 seconds then i gassed HARD cause I barely trained then i lost my next two. Had fun though, first match I was nervous but after it started I settled down.