PDA

View Full Version : back injuries

willieshatner
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
So I somehow managed to hurt my back last night training BJJ doing something totally routine. We were drilling some sweeps on an opponent standing in your guard. My partner pushed down on my stomach as he stood up in my guard, something we are taught to do and something I've done hundreds of times. But this time when he did it my back went *snap* *crackle* *pop*. It didn't really hurt that bad at the time but as class went on muscles in my back started to cramp and seize up. It hurt bad enough last night to cause me to toss and turn in my sleep.

so I don't think its a serious injury, but I definitely can't train today. it feels like there is a giant knot/stab wound directly behind my right lung. any of you guys have something like this happen? what do you recommend to get me straightened out, loosened up and back on the mat?

Palma
12-20-2007, 12:21 PM
That sucks man. Back problems and back pain are no bueno. I just had to sit out of training for 2 and half weeks because of a pinched nerve in my back. What sucks about back pain is that it's not only painfull but very uncomfortable.

I swear by Chiropractors... Allot of people will tell you that what they do is a scam but I have had good experiences and good results with several different Chiropractors.

Allot of back pain stems from joints locking up and fluid stagnating in those frozen joints. What a Chiropracter does is free up those joints so they can move again and get fluid moving through them as well as making sure your joints are aligned.

sandywh
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
The best advise I've ever gotten for spasms, or pulls, or aches....water, water, water.

If the water doesn't dull the pain, then you may want to get an MRI.

willieshatner
12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
thanks for the advice.

It's a little better today. hot water feels really good on it, so I'm going to keep up with that. also getting a lady friend to give a massage tonight, hopefully my back isn't too wrecked to take advantage, should the opportunity arise :grinsmile1:

other than the pain just not going away, what are some signs of serious injury that I need to look out for? I've never really hurt my back before

Frasedog
12-21-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks for the advice.

It's a little better today. hot water feels really good on it, so I'm going to keep up with that. also getting a lady friend to give a massage tonight, hopefully my back isn't too wrecked to take advantage, should the opportunity arise :grinsmile1:

other than the pain just not going away, what are some signs of serious injury that I need to look out for? I've never really hurt my back before
A sign of a strained muscle is a tired feeling, you know, just weakness. Not so much pain after the initial injury wears off. I agree 100% with Palma about chiropractors. I get adjusted once a month, more or less depending on how I feel. It certainly helps.