PDA

View Full Version : Your Striking Experience

Ramma
12-26-2007, 12:53 AM
I know there are some on these forums who are strikers and grapplers (like me) or just strikers. I am just curious what everyone does and such. Any of you ever compete at any level, Own(ed) a school, etc. Post pics, videos, anything.

I have experience in Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, and Muay Thai Kickboxing (currently doing this). Have done small competitions, but nothing major yet.

Join the K-1/Striker's Social Group: MMA News Forums - The Striker's Club (http://forums.mmanews.com/group.php?groupid=1)

Intellectual
12-26-2007, 01:01 AM
i took Judo/JiuJitsu as a kid. For about a year, but i had to stop taking class since the dojo was so far from home. I took up TKD/Karate for 3 years. Loved it, even though the instructor could have allowed us to spar more. I stopped taking martials arts around age 9-10.

i want to take up Thai Boxing or just Boxing, but i honestly have no time.

dofking
12-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Got a black belt in karate even though i never gave a fuck about itjust like every other kid. Took a few years and $100 per test (for the next belt). I personally thought i was horrible at it lol i couldnt remember all the kata bullshit. Gave up when i was like 15. Took boxing for a couple months but gave up since i had to focus on varsity rugby and tennis. Personally in real situational fights its all about not being a pussy and be able to take a punch and give a punch. Martial arts is overrated for self defense lol... just buy a fucking gun or grow some balls and throw the first punch and knock a fool out. Not a real big fan of grappling although Judo does interest me alot... its all about knocking fools out with yo fists and the ocassional headbutt (which imo is FUCKING effective, no one will ever see a headbutt to the nose coming).

pa99fighter
12-26-2007, 03:55 PM
amateur boxing and have been training mma for 6 months

Afro
12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Boxing is a martial art

valheruking
12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Did karate as a kid until about 13, took up boxing as a teen, started Muay Thai about 2 years ago.

Ramma
12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Boxing is a martial art

Changed it, just for you :thumbsup:

ninjastix
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Kempo, Hung-gar, and karate...

Sadly non of which I'd use in a fight... I'm more incline to smash someone in the face or throat at close range then slam them to the ground... amazing what "ground" will do for you...

Jellypig
12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
taekwon do as a kid. I trained myself in boxing, read a few boxing books here and there and have practiced them for about a year on my own.

Bod
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
I trained in boxing for a year in a half when I was 14-15 (now being 17), let go to concentrate on hockey training, but starting to look to get back into it, or maybe muay thai or kickboxing + grappling or BJJ

Problematique
06-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Tae Kwon Do when I was younger, brown belt.
Could've decided to stay a little longer and get the black belt, but I was sick and tired of it and was ready to quit.
So I did.

I would like to take up BJJ (only jap ju-jitsu in my town) or Kickboxing/Muay Thai, maybe next year after I finished school this year. Maybe.

Tenacious_Thunder
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I started with Kung Fu, and was not for me, so went into Kenpo and stayed their till now and on going....
other than that, i do Muy thai, and REALLY amuture mma(which i dont think is legal lol)
and wrestle for my school

Beowulf
08-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Just noticed this thread, I've been training in Muay Thia under Grand Master Toddy at JAXBRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU for about a year now. A really good trainer, but also a good guy, has helped me a lot.

Aouam
09-21-2008, 04:06 AM
i have 24 years old from Tunisia
my best realisation :
3rd place in championship of Tunisia 2003

Ezekiel
09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
As a kid a tried boxing a little, nothing major. Then after 7-8 years I did muay-thai for awhile, changed to BJJ and MMA pretty soon. So I did MMA-stand up for 1½ years and then added kickboxing to my training aswell. Now I'm just doing MMA and BJJ again, but the MMA trainings concentrate mainly on standup techniques and takedowns as the BJJ at my gym takes care of the grappling pretty far. I still suck at standup... :(

Thaistylist
12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I boxed for awhile when I was like 13-14 but high school sports got in the way but I still practiced a little. Then once I got to college it all went downhill. I'd like to get back into it but I am just a lazy piece of trash now.

homegrowncone
12-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Thai Boxing, Karate, and Kickboxing.

Exactly the same here, my only grappling unfortunately is wrestling and I'm only currently working out at a MT place in town (I don't even take classes, just work out/train with whoever is around when I have the time)

As a kid the best thing Karate did for me was improve my balance, I kind of wish I had taken it more seriously.

Unreal
12-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I took tae fu sho which is a combination of TKD, kung fu and shotokan. Was a brown belt on that, then a couple of years after I took TKD and judo but was never able to go up the ranks because of a shoulder injury that held me back.

For the last week though its been feeling alot better and I've been hitting the bag putting alot of stenght in the right arm and it feels preety good. Of course I'm not doing many overhands or hooks but my staight feels preety good.

I'm hoping to find a gym around home so I can train some muay thai when I'm 100% I wouldn't do TKD again because there isn't enouth sparing, and I'd love to go back to judo or do BJJ but thats very risky for my shoulder.

Repenter
09-14-2009, 02:40 AM
i'm primarily a grappler, and my only striking is through mma crosstraining... but i've been doing a year of boxing/kickboxing/muy thai in an mma setting. my boxing isn't that great, but i can hit like a truck with my back leg which saves my ass until i get a takedown.

funny thing though... after 3 months of mma kickboxing training, a TKD blackbelt came in to spar with the 'mma folk' and i handed his ass to him. i don't think he was used to getting hit at all... and the thai clinch really messed with him.

bobcat
07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Wado Ryu Karate from 13 till 16 got to blue belt, now train Muay Thai 3 times a week under Kru John Steele (one of Master Sken's team of instructors).

Frasedog
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm a purple belt in BJJ under Julio Fernandez (6th degree Carlson Gracie SR). Also train Muay Thai. I've competed in local BJJ tourneys, and am 0-1 MMA as an amateur. My next fight is in 3 weeks!! Burlington Brawl (http://www.burlingtonbrawl.net/)

KevoOnTheRadio
07-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Other. Three Stooges Fighting System (SFS). NyuckNyuckNyuck

phunt
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
The majority of my experience is in Shotokan/Gosoku Ryu Karate (Rank Shodan) under Tak Kubota / Takemasa Okuyama. Have been in many point fighting tournaments, such as the Canadian Nationals at black belt level.

Have been training boxing and muay thai off and on for a few years, primarily focused on bjj right now which i started several months back.

Kimbo> Rampage
07-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Good boxing and good muay thai/kickboxing is a very deadly combination. In sparring you can easily kick the hell out of the guys with primarily boxing, and the guys with a good muay thai backround, they really dont have have the hands to deal with you. You can easily counter and fool them. I havent seen many TKD or karate fighters at the gym as an only style, but some of the kicks and techniques some guys use.

Frasedog
07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm not knocking karate, tkd etc, but there are a few guys at my gym that have those backgrounds and they throw some kicks at different angles and stuff, but I find their hands are typically low and they leave themselves open for counters. I really think a blend of Muay Thai and Boxing is the most effective. That combo of striking power and head and foot movement is the way to go. In my opinion anyway.

deadstealth
07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
4 years American TKD (Jhoon Rhee => Alan Steen => L. Wheeler => me) This was a very competitive school. The difference between "hard rock" korean TKD and American, is that the korean style has almost no hands. They block with dodging or kicks. Chung Do Kwan TKD incorporates about 30% hands.

2 years American kickboxing. This class was either the TKD guys that wanted no rounds and more lax (real) rules or the local street toughs that couldnt/wouldnt be in the TKD class. So this was my intro to using TKD vs boxers and kickboxers.

It takes a while to build KO power with snapping kicks, but once you get to concrete breaking level, you can throw the kick, and the only thing they can do is not be there (or shoot if they grapple). I dont understand why people like muay thai style kicks so much over the snap kicks...if both have ko/bone break power, then the faster one, that doesnt leave you open if you miss, is better IMO. The sidekick is by far the most underutilized tool in mma, and the front snap kick to the body is another one that is ULTRA useful against boxers that like to square up. I dont see anywhere close to the amount of body kicks there should be in mma.

I will say that TKD lacks a bit on the hands. Most of what I learned until the kickboxing were punches that were straight, fast, and accurate (point punches) rather than angled and powerful (damage punches) However, if your footwork and cardio are good...and you arent fighting in a closet...its hard for a boxer to get close enough to hit you. My leg is longer than any boxers arm.

The other thing I wish TKD had is leg kicks. I can actually throw a mid level or head level roundhouse stronger than I can a leg kick. There is no mention anywhere in TKD or the american kickboxing I did where kicks to the leg were allowed, and that is a major weapon for the muay thai guy and for any striker vs juijitsu/boxing.

T-storm
07-12-2010, 05:23 AM
MT here

Trojan Fight Club
07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
My dad was an amateur boxer so i practiced under him in boxing, but I'm a mainly submission wrestler so my striking has a lot to be desired

Iron Triangle
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Did TKD when I was thirteen. Then Muay Thai for two years, before my dojo closed down.