PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know the minimum age to fight amateur mma?

pa99fighter
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I know boxing is any age but what is mma's. I have been boxing and grappling alot im at the gym 5 to 6 days a week so I think im ready to fight mma amateur but I dont know the ages? you can delete this thread I just need to know the age

pa99fighter
01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Not sure, but I don't think there is one.

How old are you, what are your stats as far as Hight, Weight, ect.ect.ect.

15 years old. 5"10 and I box at 139 so id probaly fight at 135

pa99fighter
01-01-2008, 09:53 PM
To be totally honest man, I would wait.

At least until you are about 16 and 1/2.

If I were you and I were serious about this, I would focus all of my time on training, techniques, cardio, ect.ect.ect.

At 15 years old you have a lot of growing to do, both physically and mentally.

You will have plenty of time for amateur stuff when the time comes, but the last thing that you need to do is rush yourself.

My personal opinion, without ever meeting you are ever seeing you throw one punch or roll at all, would be to wait.

yeah I know what your saying. im at the gym training 5 days a week. I roll and practice jiu jitsu even though are gym doesnt have belts.

Pythonfighter14
01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Ive been trying to find some kind of Amateur MMA for a while but I can't seem to find any either.Plus i live in NY so I would need to go to other states to compete (Damn anti-MMA law)

luismelhernandez
01-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Wait until you're 18. Train more. You will be fighting older guys with a lot of experience. You might get injured. Keep training and get your black belt in BJJ first. Also use this time to become a good wrestler and work on your stand up.

POINDEXTER
02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I would think it makes sense to compete in the various aspects of MMA - outside of full contact - at this stage of your development: boxing, BJJ, wrestling, kickboxing, etc. If you do that you'll be way ahead of the game when it comes time for you to fight, IMO.

Ifightforaliving
02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
definitley train as much as possible in all forms so as to protect yourself from permanent injury and also good luck

Problematique
02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Id wait till you are fully grown.

southsider
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Wait until you're 18. Train more. You will be fighting older guys with a lot of experience. You might get injured. Keep training and get your black belt in BJJ first. Also use this time to become a good wrestler and work on your stand up.

I think you are underestimating the length of time and experience it takes to get a legitimate BJJ black belt.

Back to the topic, I would wait a little longer as well. It seems like your physical game is there, but the psychological game and maturity is just as important.
You're going to be a force to be reckoned with at 5'10" - 135 lbs!