PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL

ChuckBooty
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Has anyone ever had this surgery? I'm gonna go for it next month and I'd like to get any input from you guys.

Krazikarl
01-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I've had it. The surgery isnt too bad and the knee will hurt a bit afterwards, but its really not that bad. Rehab is annoying but also not that bad. All in all its something that most people with the injury have to do and so many people get that surgery nowadays that its a pretty smooth process.

Tick
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I have had it done as well (3 times). So suggestions i have...

Ask your orthopedist about icing it. They have "powered" ice check that you throw ice in and water and it sends the cold cold water through a wrapping on your knee. This took care of about 90% of the pain I had. I got that for the third one and not the other two. I had allot less pain with the third. (it was something like the following link... Aircast CryoCuff - Knee Compression Dressing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Q08Z4/sr=1-1/qid=1124741774/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&n=3760931&s=hpc&v=glance) Link goes to amazon)

Ask the doc about a machine that bends your knee for you and helps get\keep your range of motion. This will make physical therapy easier. Of course this can't be used if he did other things that make it so you aren't aloud to bend your knee. It cant hurt to ask. I believe this is called a CPM machine (google seems to make me believe my memory is right)

Besides that make sure you understand the healing process. Mine were done by cadaver, and what I learned the third time is that it is at the strongest in the beginning and weakest a few weeks (about when you start feeling good again and want to start exercising more and goofing off) What happened is the cadaver (or whatever they put in) is at its weakest from breaking down, and your own cells that are building up around it are not at there strongest yet. So at that time is the highest chance of re injuring yourself.

Please fact check everything I said with your doctor... The more you know about what is going to happen the better your rehab will go.

Year's later I don't really have any problems. Sometimes they just hurt when the weather has vast shifts or really cold. If I need new shoes my knee's hurt, but that goes away once I buy a new pair. Overall though my life hasn't been effected much. I still go and play basketball with friends, learn BJJ (knee bars and leg locks I dont like drilling though), go bowling etc... etc... etc...

Good luck with everything! On a happy note, they give you good drugs!!!!

ChuckBooty
01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I have had it done as well (3 times). So suggestions i have...

Ask your orthopedist about icing it. They have "powered" ice check that you throw ice in and water and it sends the cold cold water through a wrapping on your knee. This took care of about 90% of the pain I had. I got that for the third one and not the other two. I had allot less pain with the third. (it was something like the following link... Aircast CryoCuff - Knee Compression Dressing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Q08Z4/sr=1-1/qid=1124741774/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&n=3760931&s=hpc&v=glance) Link goes to amazon)

Ask the doc about a machine that bends your knee for you and helps get\keep your range of motion. This will make physical therapy easier. Of course this can't be used if he did other things that make it so you aren't aloud to bend your knee. It cant hurt to ask. I believe this is called a CPM machine (google seems to make me believe my memory is right)

Besides that make sure you understand the healing process. Mine were done by cadaver, and what I learned the third time is that it is at the strongest in the beginning and weakest a few weeks (about when you start feeling good again and want to start exercising more and goofing off) What happened is the cadaver (or whatever they put in) is at its weakest from breaking down, and your own cells that are building up around it are not at there strongest yet. So at that time is the highest chance of re injuring yourself.

Please fact check everything I said with your doctor... The more you know about what is going to happen the better your rehab will go.

Year's later I don't really have any problems. Sometimes they just hurt when the weather has vast shifts or really cold. If I need new shoes my knee's hurt, but that goes away once I buy a new pair. Overall though my life hasn't been effected much. I still go and play basketball with friends, learn BJJ (knee bars and leg locks I dont like drilling though), go bowling etc... etc... etc...

Good luck with everything! On a happy note, they give you good drugs!!!!
Three times, huh? You must play rough...lol! I'm definately gonna take your advice and ask about the CPM as well as the powered ice deal.

How long before you could do "normal " exercise again (lifting weights, etc). I hurt it training MMA (turns out the sparring partner..me..often gets the worst end of the deal). I imagine I'm gonna be out of the martial arts game for a while, but I really don't wanna end up a fat slob when it's all over.

Thanks again for your advice Tick and Krazikarl.

Tick
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Three times, huh? You must play rough...lol! I'm definately gonna take your advice and ask about the CPM as well as the powered ice deal.

How long before you could do "normal " exercise again (lifting weights, etc). I hurt it training MMA (turns out the sparring partner..me..often gets the worst end of the deal). I imagine I'm gonna be out of the martial arts game for a while, but I really don't wanna end up a fat slob when it's all over.

Thanks again for your advice Tick and Krazikarl.

Yea 3 times. Twice playing football and once basketball. I am just unlucky :-P

Anyway. For me it was 3 months or so before i started doing light workouts again (lifting weights etc...) but before I really started getting confident in it it was much longer. The PT people had me doing light leg workouts from the start as well. There are just certain movements that they didn't want me to do for awhile, at least at full range of motion. For instance, Leg Extensions that had me doing at about half the range of motion that is normal. The best advice I can offer is listen to your doctor and physical therapy people.
The following link seems to have some good information on it.

Orthosports - Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Physicians - Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction (http://www.orthosports.com.au/acl.html)

I think Adonis, at some point in time, posted some good information on here about ACL repair, recoop but I cant seem to find it. Good Luck with everything!

ChuckBooty
02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/rickeepoo/Leg2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/rickeepoo/Leg1.jpg

Well...I did it....FUCKING HURTS!!

Ramma
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
hope you heal up all well :thumbsup:

Tick
02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Happy healing!