PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water: ice cold or room temperature?

dan the man 67
01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I am hearing more and more that it is better to drink water at room temperature.............can anybody tell me why?

Legend
01-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm really not sure but I did hear that your body absorbs the water better at room temp.

Bod
01-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Brain Freeeeeeze!!

Tick
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I prefer drinking cold water ( I think it taste better) but all to often drink it room temp because my case sits under my desk at work and doesn't get cold. I have heard both things though and never learned what the better one was.

From "Ask the Dietitian" (http://www.dietitian.com/fluids.html) it says...

I've noticed recommendations for cold water a couple of times recently. Is there a difference between room temperature and cold water as far as how the body uses it?

Cold (40 - 50 degrees F) water is absorbed more quickly from the stomach. Also, if cold water is drank during physical exercise has the dual effect of also cooling the internal body temperature along with sweat produced by exercise. Since sweat is your bodyís way of cooling itself, leave sweat on your skin and you should feel cooler.

About.com (http://walking.about.com/od/fluids/f/coldwatermyth.htm)
also is saying pretty much the same thing...

Is drinking cold water during or after exercise good for you or bad for you? Does the temperature of the water matter at all?

A. Believe it or not, cold water is absorbed faster by your body than water at room temperature or at body temperature. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that water and other drinks be chilled when used for exercise.

Best of yet, according to Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/coldwater.asp) drinking cold water after dinner (or a meal) does NOT cause cancer!!!

Claim: Drinking cold water after meals will lead to cancer.

Clint
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
As far as I know the absorption rate (and teh argument that cold water burns more calories) are both negligible realistically. I am sure it absorbs faster cold but if you are dehydrated enough to be worrying about how fast you can get water into your system, you ahve bigger issues.

I personally say drink it however you prefer to drink water.

Skullet
01-15-2008, 04:23 AM
In my opinion, cold water is better. It burns calories, and a decent amount of them if you drink a half gallon+ a day. As far as the absorbtion rate, I don't really know, but from what I've read, it's absorbed faster.

virtualpurple
01-15-2008, 04:48 AM
In my opinion, cold water is better. It burns calories, and a decent amount of them if you drink a half gallon+ a day. As far as the absorbtion rate, I don't really know, but from what I've read, it's absorbed faster.

You do burn calories heating up the cold water, but the amount you burn is pretty slight.

lottie-12
02-24-2008, 05:12 AM
As far as I know the absorption rate (and teh argument that cold water burns more calories) are both negligible realistically. I am sure it absorbs faster cold but if you are dehydrated enough to be worrying about how fast you can get water into your system, you ahve bigger issues.

I personally say drink it however you prefer to drink water.

:laughing4:

Problematique
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
To me; water is water.

notrightn0w
04-01-2008, 02:21 AM
it depends on a couple of variables, but I suppose that I tend to go for room temp.

dagreat1
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Icecold water is fine, just whatever you do, ice cold water, room temperature, etc. don't go chugging a gallon of water after your workout or you run the risk of hyperhydration and can die from it.

#1taz
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Room temperature water is better for you physically if you have been training or working out hard first, otherwise if you drink a lot of ice cold water after any strenuous physical activity, you risk the possibility of getting some real bad gut cramps. And you definitely want to sip it slowly, not chug it or guzzle it all down at once.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter much whether you drink water chilled or at room temperature because the amount of calories your body burns warming chilled water up, together with the added cooling effect chilled water has on your body is not serious enough to concern yourself with.

But the main thing is to keep enough water going into your body to keep it properly hydrated at all times regardless. A mimimum of 8-10 8oz glasses of water a day is a must for most people, depending on your size and muscle mass.

Also, a lot of people that have problems with their weight mistake the body's desire for more water for it's need or hunger for more food. So if you are trying to lose weight, drop your calorie intake to a more healthy level, eat healthier and smaller meals more frequently, get more exercise, drink a lot more water more frequently, and you will start to notice the benefits right away.

TriangleChoke
04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
if i'm in the weight room, room temp. water is fine. If i'm outside in the heat, i prefer cold water

dagreat1
04-06-2008, 03:31 AM
If you're Luke Cummo, you prefer piss... Ice cold piss.

When you're at the bar with Luke Cummo drinking some beers and it's time to go to the bathroom he hits the urinal, bottles it, has the bartender put it on ice for em, and then sips it like Henny XO.

TheKidInside
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
look, cold water is better because your body burns calories trying to warm it up which also improves your metabolism over all, provided that you drink mostly only water, and not water during work outs and then coke and pepsi and smoothies all day, that's more counterproductive than eating big macs after workouts (Well that's a bit exaggerated). and cold water cools your body and gets absorbed by your body faster than room temperature water. however, you shouldn't freak you or worry that you're drinking water that's not ice cold if that's all that's around while, let's say, you're working out and feeling thirsty.

dagreat1
04-15-2008, 06:57 AM
^^^^^^

What I udually pre workout is take my nanovapor and I scrape the calcium deposits from my Brita pitcher, add water and put it all into the blender.

Is it ok for me to be comsumign the calcium deposits, even if they're brownish in color but tasty in flavor?

TheKidInside
04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
^^^^^^

What I udually pre workout is take my nanovapor and I scrape the calcium deposits from my Brita pitcher, add water and put it all into the blender.

Is it ok for me to be comsumign the calcium deposits, even if they're brownish in color but tasty in flavor?

ok that's just weird, lol.

TheRedeemer
06-23-2008, 03:13 AM
ice water makes your body burn calories because your body has to work to warm it up to your body temperature. So i'd say cold water.

lovesbmw
04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I follow the 15 glass of water therapy and I prefer normal water at room temperature. It has helped me to remove bad effects of food disorder and after practicing this method I am not afraid of eating even heavy foods.

Roman90
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Cold water boosts exothermic reactions for your body because your cells have to drop extra energy to bring the water to equilibrium with the rest of you.

jackbency
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Water should be drunk at room temperature, as it is less of a shock to your system but I've heard that Yes, if you drink 1 liter of ice cold water you will lose 20 calories. Drink a glass of warm water also before meal, because it fills our stomach quickly so we avoid of eating too much. I used to drink a lot of warm water all day long. I don't like cold drink and ice. I believe warm water disabsorbed fat.

TheKidInside
05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
NO ONE should drink water before or after eating. studies have shown the extremely negative consequences for this. also, drinking water before eating does not "trick your body" into thinking you're full. the only way that's accomplished if u drink soda or something with gas because that will bloat your stomach, but as soon as you're done "eating" (your small portion) you will feel hungry again. nothing beats learning "eat until you're not hungry, not until you're FULL"

funkroberts
05-12-2010, 06:18 AM
If you drink water when it is cold, your body has to work that much harder to get it back to body temperature which means you will be consuming more energy..The same energy you will need to get you through training or a fight.

Room Temperature is the way to go - I used to play professional beach volleyball and drinking non cold water was key to getting us through those tough matches in the 40 degree sun

Funk

kickbox
11-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I heard its becuase you get cramps, or you start to suffer brain freeze which could lead in the utter decapitation of your head.

CHAEL fan
11-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Cold water is my favorite beverage....room temp water is too blah.

_DCdoctr_
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Just checking out random threads...My nutrition and organ histology professor lectured that drinking ice water can damage your mucosa and that room temperature water didn't pose negative effects to one's cellular metabolism.

BP

Hawkeye
12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
The only thing we were allowed to use cold water for @ MSU was spraying your head with.
all major waterbottles were slightly below room temp.

H.