PDA

View Full Version : fighter bashing poilicy

Mungo
01-14-2008, 06:58 AM
First off there are NO rules on fighter bashing.

General Forum Behavior
1) No Flaming Anyone that includes the Mods or Admins, if you think we are being harsh or wrong please pm us an we will work it out.
2) Don't be a thread whore. In other words don't feel like you need to make 25 threads a day. It's hard to keep up with threads when there's 100 new ones everyday. If it's the same subject as another keep it there, if it's not really of importance and it's busy in the MMA world wait until there's not much to talk about and we need new threads.
3) Keep the threads where they belong and if a thread already exists, don't start a new one for the same topic.
4) No swearing/cussing in the thread titles
5) No spam. If you want to give us a link to a cool site, that's fine but do go around blatantly advertising stuff.
6) When posting a story from another site, please provide a link to that site. This way people can confirm your story.
7) Do not start baseless rumors. If you have some inside info (some of you guys know fighters) by all means tell us but if we catch you just making stuff up and passing it off as fact we will ban you.
8) No double posting. If you have posted once, and you have something to add to it, please edit your original post rather than posting for a second time. Double-posting is considered 'impolite'.
9) No Racism or Religion Bashing (it can be discussed in a civil way if you wish) or you will be banned without warning.
10) Do not post Spoilers (see below)
11) Do not post any pictures containing nudity unless the thread is properly labeled as Not Safe For Work (NSFW)
12) No stirring up trouble. If you are trying to start flame wars and disrupting other peoples posting, you will be punished.
13) No fancy colors or sizes for your font. Even if you feel like bright green and neon purple express your personality better, they are annoying to read and ultimately unnecessary.

Secondly as long as were not bashing each other I don't see why it matters I know plenty of other sports forums where they say "Attack the team, not the person." and there's no problem. I'm not alone here there are plenty of others that I have spoke with that think this is getting completely out of hand.

Clint
01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
The rules actually need updated. Fighter bashing just leads to problems. You are still allowed to have an opinion on a fighter. For example you can say Tim Sylvia is talentless, boring, shit himself in a fight and that you don't like him. However there is no need to call him a cocksucking douchebag.

There is no need for personal attacks on fighters like that. How is it getting out of hand? Very few people have even been warned over it.

jokerthief
01-14-2008, 07:36 AM
How is it getting out of hand? Very few people have even been warned over it.

I'd like to know that too, I haven't seen much fighter bashing around here.

If you see something, just pm a mod and the problem will be addressed.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 07:41 AM
The rules actually need updated. Fighter bashing just leads to problems. You are still allowed to have an opinion on a fighter. For example you can say Tim Sylvia is talentless, boring, shit himself in a fight and that you don't like him. However there is no need to call him a cocksucking douchebag.

There is no need for personal attacks on fighters like that. How is it getting out of hand? Very few people have even been warned over it.

Threads getting noob jacked for asking who the biggest douche bags in MMA are and asking which fighter do you think you could beat to name a couple. Both are very minimally fighter bashing and with all the joke threads around here it shouldn't matter anyways.

Or monsonbychoke being made an inmate for goin off on Diaz for flippin off the crowd, he can disrespect us but we can't disrespect him? come on...

and I dont see why I can get my thread closed if I'm not warned about it first, theres an obvious problem here.

Clint
01-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Threads getting noob jacked for asking who the biggest douche bags in MMA are and asking which fighter do you think you could beat to name a couple. Both are very minimally fighter bashing and with all the joke threads around here it shouldn't matter anyways.

Even if we had no fighter bashing policy, I would have noobjacked or closed both of those threads. They are both completely unnecessary. There is no need to make a thread dedicated to calling fighters douchebags or to make a thread claiming that you are capable of beating professional fighters.

Or monsonbychoke being made an inmate for goin off on Diaz for flippin off the crowd, he can disrespect us but we can't disrespect him? come on...

I don't know who made Monson an inmate but but he had been warned about shit before and then went off about Diaz. It is entirely possible to express your opinion without attacking a fighter.

and I dont see why I can get my thread closed if I'm not warned about it first, theres an obvious problem here.
They are two separate things. You would be warned for the fighter bashing and the thread would be closed. Warning you first wouldn't change the thread, you would just have to make a new thread that is not fighter bashing.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Even if we had no fighter bashing policy, I would have noobjacked or closed both of those threads. They are both completely unnecessary. There is no need to make a thread dedicated to calling fighters douchebags or to make a thread claiming that you are capable of beating professional fighters.

Asking the opinion of who your least favorite fighters are is close enough to me... it's just sad we can't say things HOW we want to. It's sad some forums are ran like a dictatorship. Some people here (like the person who started that thread) have been training for years so in theory could beat professional fighters. Are joke threads necessary? NO but they're allowed for some reason.

I don't know who made Monson an inmate but but he had been warned about shit before and then went off about Diaz. It is entirely possible to express your opinion without attacking a fighter.

So that's a yes Diaz can say fuck you to the crowd but we can't return the favor. Why do we have to phrase things so nicely? Why does it even matter?

They are two separate things. You would be warned for the fighter bashing and the thread would be closed. Warning you first wouldn't change the thread, you would just have to make a new thread that is not fighter bashing.

If you are going to enforce a rule it's probably best to actually tell people about it first. It's not right for me to receive and infraction and have my thread fucked without it being in the rules. I smell dictatorship.

Clint
01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Asking the opinion of who your least favorite fighters are is close enough to me... it's just sad we can't say things HOW we want to. It's sad some forums are ran like a dictatorship. Some people here (like the person who started that thread) have been training for years so in theory could beat professional fighters. Are joke threads necessary? NO but they're allowed for some reason.

So if someone walked up to you and your buddies and told you that you are a douchebag, you would interpret that as being his least favorite of the group and everything would be fine? Nobody with zero experience is going to come into the UFC and start beating pro fighters and if these people were that skilled they would attempt it.

So that's a yes Diaz can say fuck you to the crowd but we can't return the favor. Why do we have to phrase things so nicely? Why does it even matter?

All we asked is that you not throw personal attacks at a fighter just like you should not throw personal attacks at other users.

It is important because we are trying to maintain a respectful intelligent forum. Otherwise forums devolve into shit like sherdog, Where it is damn near impossible to find a thread worth reading.

If you are going to enforce a rule it's probably best to actually tell people about it first. It's not right for me to receive and infraction and have my thread fucked without it being in the rules. I smell dictatorship.
There have been multiple threads and announcements about the fighter bashing policies AND the infraction system had been announced prior to using it.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 08:35 AM
So if someone walked up to you and your buddies and told you that you are a douchebag, you would interpret that as being his least favorite of the group and everything would be fine? Nobody with zero experience is going to come into the UFC and start beating pro fighters and if these people were that skilled they would attempt it.

If you were to make a list of your top 10 least favorite fighters you're not going to think they're douche bags? Sorry I don't think it's wrong to say what you think and there IS a way to do it so this place doesn't turn into sherdog.

There are professional fighters here too man and the question wasn't which fighters in the UFC could you beat it was in all of MMA. Surely there is SOMEONE I could beat right now.

All we asked is that you not throw personal attacks at a fighter just like you should not throw personal attacks at other users.

It is important because we are trying to maintain a respectful intelligent forum. Otherwise forums devolve into shit like sherdog, Where it is damn near impossible to find a thread worth reading.

I guess this is where you and I differ I say there's a way to prevent this place turning into sherdog without it being a dictatorship, you say there is not.

There have been multiple threads and announcements about the fighter bashing policies AND the infraction system had been announced prior to using it.

So the people that miss those threads such as myself and new users just get fucked then?

Clint
01-14-2008, 09:12 AM
If you were to make a list of your top 10 least favorite fighters you're not going to think they're douche bags? Sorry I don't think it's wrong to say what you think and there IS a way to do it so this place doesn't turn into sherdog.

There are professional fighters here too man and the question wasn't which fighters in the UFC could you beat it was in all of MMA. Surely there is SOMEONE I could beat right now.

I guess this is where you and I differ I say there's a way to prevent this place turning into sherdog without it being a dictatorship, you say there is not.

I'm not saying this is a dictatorship, I am saying that it is unnecessary to throw personal attacks at fighters. Why do you need to call a fighter a cocksucker? What purpose does that serve?

So the people that miss those threads such as myself and new users just get fucked then?
People don't check the rules updates thats why we made a new stickied thread about the infraction system and prior to that there was a stickied thread about fighter bashing. There is no way to make sure that everyone reads those threads but we did what we could to make sure they were noticed. Thats all the more we can do, just like a person will get a speeding ticket whether they know the speed limit or not.

thebwit
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not saying this is a dictatorship, I am saying that it is unnecessary to throw personal attacks at fighters. Why do you need to call a fighter a cocksucker? What purpose does that serve?

This is a great point. There is no need to attack a fighter. You can make comments about a fighters fighting style, but to attack him personally is a different thing.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 09:33 AM

Having the freedom to do so is nice... especially when a fighter throws personal attacks at us. Limiting anyones freedom of speech is a dictatorship, end of story.

People don't check the rules updates thats why we made a new stickied thread about the infraction system and prior to that there was a stickied thread about fighter bashing. There is no way to make sure that everyone reads those threads but we did what we could to make sure they were noticed. Thats all the more we can do, just like a person will get a speeding ticket whether they know the speed limit or not.

What's so hard about adding the fighter bashing rule to the existing rules?

Steel
01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Mungo,

This is becoming rather ridiculous.

There are ways you can say things as to not incite arguments or stir the pot per se.

Don't mistake the smell of dictatorship for quality and control...both aromas are very rich and tasty.

Last I checked, the term "Douchebag" wasn't a part of any martial art creed or training program. There are right & wrong ways to say things and the owners and staff of the site would prefer not to have an OK Corral type of atmosphere here.

As for "the others feeling the same" the more I look, the more I see people that agree with the philosophy of making the site a more mature, tasteful environment.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Mungo,

This is becoming rather ridiculous.

There are ways you can say things as to not incite arguments or stir the pot per se.

Don't mistake the smell of dictatorship for quality and control...both aromas are very rich and tasty.

Last I checked, the term "Douchebag" wasn't a part of any martial art creed or training program. There are right & wrong ways to say things and the owners and staff of the site would prefer not to have an OK Corral type of atmosphere here.

As for "the others feeling the same" the more I look, the more I see people that agree with the philosophy of making the site a more mature, tasteful environment.

Yeah mature and tasteful just like TTR, not fighter bashing in the slightest.

jesusatemyhotdog
01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I want to call Royce Gracie a cocksucking douchebag drinking faggot. But I can't.

Fucking Fascists! You hear me Clint? Fascists!

http://home.maine.rr.com/mattyg/wambulance.jpg

Mungo
01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I want to call Royce Gracie a cocksucking douchebag drinking faggot. But I can't.

Some people actually value freedom of speech even on teh intertube.

http://userpic.livejournal.com/59683193/609158

Clint
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM

Thats it I'm calling the guvner and the clique mob. They will be at your computer shortly.

jesusatemyhotdog
01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Thats it I'm calling the guvner and the clique mob. They will be at your computer shortly.

Are they going to dead me?

jokerthief
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Are they going to dead me?

Twice.

Clint
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
do not try to run becos the govenor can catch whoever run because he is known for runing and you will be dead with torture when the gonenor catches you or the CLIQUE MOB. you do not have enogh smart to fraud us so do no try and fraud. ship my anus or send funds is only 1 option to die or death

jesusatemyhotdog
01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
do not try to run becos the govenor can catch whoever run because he is known for runing and you will be dead with torture when the gonenor catches you or the CLIQUE MOB. you do not have enogh smart to fraud us so do no try and fraud. ship my anus or send funds is only 1 option to die or death

I had better get my affairs in order then.

If I am going to be deaded twice, I need two wills, do I not?

Clint
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I had better get my affairs in order then.

If I am going to be deaded twice, I need two wills, do I not?

Would that mean you get double life insurance as well? :headscratch:

Gmunit
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
is this all because of your "douchebag" thread getting moved to Noob Jack??

if you would've worded it differently i'm sure it would've been fine with everyone, but the continued complaining on this matter shows that you weren't asking an innocent question as to the "most Disliked in MMA" but actually looking for people bash fighters with you

jokerthief
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM

No. The guvna will tell the insurance company to give you nothing!

jesusatemyhotdog
01-14-2008, 10:44 AM

I am going through my policy now, but am having trouble finding the Clique Mob rider.

Clint
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I am going through my policy now, but am having trouble finding the Clique Mob rider.

Here it is:

No. The guvna will tell the insurance company to give you nothing!

jesusatemyhotdog
01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Here it is:

Must be in the fine print and I lost my reading glasses.

Or did I?

Maybe the clique mob stole them instead of deading me. Just as a warning.

rivethead
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM

I think it's a free country...you are perfectly free to go to an EXC event, get a front row ticket and flip Diaz off to his face.

Doing it on the internet is pretty passive aggressive at best, as he'll never see it, and it really doesn't do anything productive.

At worst, it represents a breeding ground for trolls...they'll point to a statement someone else made, make one a little bit worse; then someone will point to their statement and make one a little bit worse, and so on and so on.

I think this is a great board without the fighter bashing. I've gone over the line before [that fucking Kendal Grove and his fucking Team Dagger! Whoops! I mean those upstanding young citizens with strong and earnest integrity...] and gotten negged for it by a mod...you live and learn.

But for the most part, it's a great board and a good policy.

rh

2mcgrath
01-14-2008, 11:21 AM
yeah im not really a big fan of fighter bashing myself.sure there are fighters i dont like.but they still deserve alittle respect for even stepping in there in front of the other guy,and the huge crowd.just stepping in there in front of that huge crowd and knowing how many people are watching you around the world,would be enough for most people to crack up,including myself.i would rather hear reasons why you dont like the fighters,such as style, actions and what not.saying they are cocksuckers tells me nothing.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I guess I just like being able to say whatever I want... and think there's a better way to filter out trolls. :confusedsmilie:

Steel
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
There is....but we're trying to be nice about this before we take that step.

Mungo
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
If someone would ban me exclusively over this I wouldn't want to be here anyway.

Clint
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I guess I just like being able to say whatever I want... and think there's a better way to filter out trolls. :confusedsmilie:

You can say whatever you want. Just not here. Anywhere you go there are rules. These are ours.

Steel
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
If someone would ban me exclusively over this I wouldn't want to be here anyway.

This thread alone doesn't warrant banning.

However, if you take my vanilla fat free jello pudding, that may be a different story.

2mcgrath
01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Lol, has anyone besides me notice that any time we want to give an example of allowable negative comments towards a fighter... Tim Sylvia is brought up...

Tito is #2

yeah ive noticed that,i think if there was a poll done tim would be #1 most disliked fighter lol