PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins vs. Tarver - Who wins and how?

Matt Boone
06-01-2006, 10:24 PM
This one is interesting to me. I expect the Taylor-Wright fight to be boring, and this one could be too but something tells me if one of the two fights is going to deliver in the excitement dep't, it's this one.

Tarver coming back down from what like 220 they said doing the Rocky 6 movie? Hopkins is moving up from a weight he remained at for the most part his entire career. A weight he didn't even shift much up or down between fights in his whole career. So it's something totally new for him as best I know.

Ok so the weight issue is out of the way. Age. Everyone knows Hopkins age begins with a 4, and while Taylor's might begin with a 3...it won't for many more years. So neither guy is a youngster even though Hopkins is only a few years older than Tarver, but by boxing standards I guess Hopkins is even older than that.

Their actual skills could make for a boring fight depending on which Tarver shows up. Traditionally everyone should know what to expect from Hopkins in a big fight, the cautious let's win on points style. But he was the champion and lost his title that was a record setting reign, and it ended because he tried not to lose as opposed to trying to win. Normally to win a title, especially from an a established champion you have to take it from him. While I did think Taylor won the first fight I don't think he TOOK the belts from Hopkins. I don't even remember the second fight much but it was similar to the first minus the big flurry finish for Hopkins in the later rounds.

So here with Tarver being the established champion, you would think Hopkins has to have a better game plan than out-boxing him and scoring points for 12 rounds.

For our expert analysis on the scientific breakdown of Tarver vs. Hopkins, I anxiously await a response from Mr. Luis Cruz. I won't attempt to pretend to be able to breakdown the style match up and all the other variables that come into play. I will make a prediction though just on the knowledge I listed above and that's Tarver by decision.

Luis Cruz
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
To me this fight does not excite me at all. It's the same night as the Cotto fight and if i HAD to choose i would take Cotto's fight in a minute, not just being a fan but it has way more excitement i can see happening. I think aside from their talk to build the fight, Tarver and Hopkins have a great respect for each other and it'll show in the ring. This will be a boring fight with a couple mid-late round exceptions, maybe 2 rounds with some flurries. Tarver takes a unanimous decision by controlling the fight on the outside and staying busier when it's on the inside. Neither fighter will ever be in trouble during the fight. Hopkins will lose because coming up 15lbs at the end of your career when you spent it all at 160lbs is not a smart move and he'll pay for it leaving the sport (maybe) with an L.

Kass101
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
as much as im a b hop fan i just do think he can pull this one off. he lost to taylor twice at his weight and now hes moving up to fight a similar fighter. i agree with cruz on how the fight will play out. the only way is see hopkins winning is by tko or ko because i dont think he can win enough rounds for a decision and i just dont think he will have the time or the power to ko tarver.

im actually looking forward to the wright-taylor fight. i dont see why everyone knocks winky hes a solid fighter and i personally am not a taylor fan so i would love to winky beat taylor. both guys are skilled though so it should be a good fight.

Matt Boone
06-02-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't knock Winky, and haven't seen many knock him either. Most of the experts are picking him to beat Taylor. He's ahead in the odds. I picked him to win also. Wright gets his respect, it's Taylor who's in need of respect. Wright wins a fight against a Trinidad coming back from retirement with one win/tune-up fight, Mayorga. Now all of a sudden people have Wright like top 5 pound for pound in the world. Some even have him top 3 P4P. Taylor meanwhile has beaten a legendary figure, ended the longest championship reign ever and then won the rematch to confirm any doubters from the first fight. He's still undefeated, he's got an incredible amateur background. He's working with great people (especially for this fight) he's got all the skills, etc. Yet people still act like he's got to prove himself. That's why the fan in me is routing for Taylor in this fight because he's long overdue for the credit he's rightfully deserving of.

Kass101
06-02-2006, 12:25 AM
i see taylor winning but i am rooting for winky.

Matt Boone
06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
If we're putting it into one sentence I gotta go opposite on ya

I see Wright winning but I am routing for Taylor.

Afro
06-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Hopkins is my pick.

Ortiz-Hughes_UFC KINGS07
06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
hopkins. i hate tarver

Afro
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
hopkins. i hate tarver
you and me both pal.

Greenish
06-07-2006, 11:47 PM
LoL, I'll be routing for Nard too, for first time ever simply because I dislike Tarver even more :D

But I think Tarver win by UD in a boring tactical match

WandAXE
06-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Tarver will destroy B Hop. Not because hes a better boxer hes just bigger and stonger. Tarver is a horrible boxer before he KOd Hardin like 4 years ago he was en ESPN boxer. Now just because he beat the glass joe overrated ROY JONES in a division that has allways been a joke, people want to say he is good. However I will be goin for B Hop but I would put the house on Tarver. Tarver in 7.

Afro
06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Hopkins never beat Roy Jones???

when did Hopkins beat Roy Jones?

Matt Boone
06-09-2006, 10:28 PM
He didn't say Hopkins beat RJJ, he said Tarver did.

Afro
06-11-2006, 05:41 AM
lets go B-Hop!

the executioner!!!

Afro
06-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Props to everyone who picked Hopkins to win this fight!!!

what a fight!

Matt Boone
06-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I never imagined Hopkins would win that easily. Wow. He definitely displayed technical superiority tonight.

Luis Cruz
06-11-2006, 08:31 AM
You know i've always said Tarver wasn't that good, but the reason i didn't think Hopkins would own him is because he's 41 and moving up 2 weight classes this late. He shocked the hell out of me with how easy he handled Tarver! He could've owned 175lbs long ago. I wonder if he had trouble making 160lbs for a while but never mentioned or showed it? Hopkins fought strong for 12 rounds from beginning to end and i thought it could've been a clean sweep. He should retire now and end on a very high note, beating Roy right now would prove nothing but if they did fight it seems Hopkins would destroy him. Great job by B-Hop and i'm glad because i can't stand Tarver!

Luis Cruz
06-11-2006, 09:46 AM
And for the record, even though he had kind of a shitty production with commentators and unknown refs, Bob Arum put on the better show tonight than Delahoya. On hbo (delahoya's show) there was a shitty ref stoppage that cost Camacho Jr. his match (i ref ive complained about a lot, Randy Neumann) and Vazquez won due to the docs stopping the fight because of a nose being broke or bleeding too much?! Plus the first fight with Paez Jr. was a 4 round borefest. The only good thing was the schoolage Hopkins laid on Tarver and that had it's bore spots. On Arum's card you had the Notre Dame boy destroy his opponent in his debut, Chavez Jr. with a lovely victory, Kevin Kelley get messed up and ko'd by Bobby Pacquaio, Duddy put on a good performance, and of course Cotto destruction of Malfaggi. Just all around better plus $10 cheaper! Whoever chose Hopkins/Tarver over Cotto/Malfaggi chose wrong tonight. My dumbass bought both of course! :banghead:

Afro
06-11-2006, 07:15 PM
ya B-hop would prolly destroy Roy right now but I dont get why he siad he wouldnt give Roy a rematch that seems kinda odd to say cuz Roy beat him not the other way around.

the Camacho stoppage was BS, but I think Camacho would of lost anyways.

I always felt Tarver was overrated, glad Hopkins beat his ass.. as a matter of fact Hopkins always seems to beat boxers I dont like (Trinidad, Tarver) so great for him, he had a great career... no Roy-Hopkins 2 please! I dotn wanna see Roy get beat anymore he needs to retire as well unless he fights Trinidad.

Greenish
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
ya B-hop would prolly destroy Roy right now but I dont get why he siad he wouldnt give Roy a rematch that seems kinda odd to say cuz Roy beat him not the other way around.

When b-hop beat Tito there was some talk between him and RJJ about rematch but it fall trough, with a lot of accusations flying around...maybe hopkins is still pissed about it.

Matt Boone
06-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Not much to gain from beating RJJ right now if you're a guy with the status of Hopkins. Someone as good as Hopkins is, and as good as he's considered, wouldn't have much to gain from beating RJJ who's considered washed up for lack of better terms. He knows despite all that it's still a risky fight with little reward other than financially being hooked up.