PDA

View Full Version : How many days to you train????

Triangle-Choke
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I train every monday and wensday. I try to get another day in there some were to make it 3 nights a week. I want to know how many days a week do you all train.
Im in jujitsu and in no-gi submission grappling.

TeddyDaBear
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
i don't train and don't mean to get off topic but doesn't this make 2 "TriangleChoke" 's on this forum?

Brutus
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
i don't train and don't mean to get off topic but doesn't this make 2 "TriangleChoke" 's on this forum?

i'm getting back in after a 4 month layoff and i'll be there 3 or 4 days a week.

yes, this is weird, where is the first trianglechoke? this might be interesting.

Triangle-Choke
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
hmmm that was the first name I put in and it worked lol..... If you train 3-4 days a week What do you do on the other days? What are some work outs you can do on the days at home.

Brutus
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
hmmm that was the first name I put in and it worked lol..... If you train 3-4 days a week What do you do on the other days? What are some work outs you can do on the days at home.

I train kenpo so on the days that i'm at home i either hit weights, speed bag and heavy bag work or run thru form and practice for belts.

Triangle-Choke
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Is there any good "body weight" work outs that you can do from home? I have an 9ft tall pull up bar that me and my brother made when we started submission grappling. I also run every night. Im also trying to get my body weight down too.

ufobydeath
01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
four days a week; two shooto and two BJJ

matto
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
6 days on various styles (bjj, judo, sambo, boxing, muy thai, wrestling, and mma)
i do intense cardio every day. heavy weightlifting 5 days a week, and lightweigh weightlifting every day. im planning on getting my first fight in the next 2-3 years. i dont want to start fighting until im very well rounded at all aspects. i got a lot of fight experience though, just headgear and mma gloves and we go all out.

NLRepublic
01-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I train 5 days a week. All five I train kickboxing, and two of those days I squeeze in muay thai classes, mostly for the conditioning though.

Triangle-Choke
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
but what about at home? You do ALL your stuff in the gym.

In about 5 months Im going to NAGA. So even tho I get 2-3 days in the gym for grappling I make it count while Im there.

mcdev88
01-25-2008, 12:57 AM
it really varies usually 4-5 days a week. each week though it different days. on sunday though i play football and thats a good workout for that day.

right now im getting ready for a grappling tournament and im going hard 5-6 days a week.

Triangle-Choke
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
yeah i just started a while ago so i have been going 2min- 3 max ...... but once I get in a little bit better shape ill be going as much as possible.

Quintessential Studmuffin
01-25-2008, 05:28 AM
I do BJJ once or twice a week and the gym once or twice a week all depending on when im working

And I got my entire basment done with wrestling mats,2 heavybags,a small bench,and an eliptical bike. I usually use when im bored,or wanna get in a good sweat.

I really wanna start doing alot more BJJ though. Like 3-5 days a week. One or two sporadic days a week isnt doin it for me.

Kimuras"R"Us
01-29-2008, 05:17 AM
I do BJJ twice a week and high intensity weight lifting 3X a week with cardio throughout.

Tick
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
but what about at home? You do ALL your stuff in the gym.

In about 5 months Im going to NAGA. So even tho I get 2-3 days in the gym for grappling I make it count while Im there.

For good body weight exercises check out Ross Enamait book Never Gymless (http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html).

I just bought a copy of it and it has alot of good shit in it. Also, check out all of the information on his site.

I do bjj training once a week (not enough, but it is more or less with friends and not at a actual school) and I hit the gym 5 to 6 days a week.

Skullet
01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I usually train three days a week on monday, wednesday, and friday and laying off on the weekends

Ifightforaliving
01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I train 6 days a week. Your body needs a day at least to rest. I do 5 miles running and 15 miles biking 5 days a week I swimm 100 laps Mon,Wed,Fri. I get up and start my day with cardio at 5 am by 8 I am at the gym for a 1hr extreme nonstop powerlifting. then 35 minutes of sledgehammer to tire. I go home and rest for 4 hrs then at 4-5 I start BJJ,Boxing,and that stuff. I then on sat my last day I do a 5 mile run with a scuba mask on( no we did not steal it from wanderlei) or a 5 mile run with a backpack with 45 lbs added. I run hills of loose dirt 3 days a week. I focus on my diet 7 days a week no sugar no salt good carbs and supplements.I do yoga and some gymnastics for balance 3 days a week. On sundays I rest and try to do as little as possible. I try to stay off my feet all together.

pa99fighter
01-31-2008, 03:46 AM
5 to 6 days a week.
Monday: Jiu-Jitsu
Tuesday: Boxing and sparring
Wednesday: Jiu-Jitsu
Thursday: Boxing and sparring
Friday: Cardio or Sparring
Saturday: sometimes off but usually sparring.
yeah I know ill be brain dead in 5 years:grinsmile2:

Pythonfighter14
03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Every day: 5:00 Am 4 mile run with sprints in between every 30 seconds of jogging
1000 Push-ups ( Really like puch-ups :grinsmile1:)
100 pullups
400 situps
2 sets of 2o minute Leg raises (20 minute raises with 10 second rest)
30 minutes on Elliptical (24 minutes normal 6 minutes in Wrestling stance.)
10 minutes either speed bag or heavy bag

Mondays/Thursdays
3 chest exercises
3 bicep
3back

Tuesdays/Fridays
3 leg
3 shoulder
3 tricep

Krav maga every tuesday Wedsday and Saturday
Freestyle Wrestling every monday thursday
Speed performance training every sunday.

(I know no Bjj, I just could'nt afford it any more after my Mom said she would only pay for my Wrestling outside of school. I chose speed training and Krav maga over BJJ cuz i like them better.)

leejames1
03-07-2008, 04:05 AM
i train on average 6 days a week doing 1 hour boxing a day 10 miles running (or at least near on) 1000 sit ups a day thats 7 days a week though,150 press ups a day 7 days again sprints at the moment are being done on mondays and thursdays normally 30 mins of that and thats about all at the moment i do, do arm weights allot 2 but not like on a roter just when i feel like it

TheKidInside
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I train with weights 5 days a week, and a different type of cardio after each workout. Judo 4 times a week, Thai boxing 3 times a week.

ChuckBooty
04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I normally train four days per week and hit the weights three days per week. Tuesday and Thursday are Muay Thai, Wednesday is No-Gi BJJ and Friday is MMA. Monday, Wed, Fri are lift days in the gym.

I've been out for a few months following my ACL reconstruction surgery. So now I'm just doing physical therapy three days per week. Getting some upper body in there too since my PT is at the gym I belong too.

notrightn0w
04-08-2008, 07:04 AM
3/7

TheKidInside
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I normally train four days per week and hit the weights three days per week. Tuesday and Thursday are Muay Thai, Wednesday is No-Gi BJJ and Friday is MMA. Monday, Wed, Fri are lift days in the gym.

I've been out for a few months following my ACL reconstruction surgery. So now I'm just doing physical therapy three days per week. Getting some upper body in there too since my PT is at the gym I belong too.

how's the therapy going? I had the same problem about a year ago. the PT that I had influenced me to go on and study PT actually.

Alwaysbelieve1
04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Every day: 5:00 Am 4 mile run with sprints in between every 30 seconds of jogging
1000 Push-ups ( Really like puch-ups :grinsmile1:)
100 pullups
400 situps
2 sets of 2o minute Leg raises (20 minute raises with 10 second rest)
30 minutes on Elliptical (24 minutes normal 6 minutes in Wrestling stance.)
10 minutes either speed bag or heavy bag

Mondays/Thursdays
3 chest exercises
3 bicep
3back

Tuesdays/Fridays
3 leg
3 shoulder
3 tricep

Krav maga every tuesday Wedsday and Saturday
Freestyle Wrestling every monday thursday
Speed performance training every sunday.

(I know no Bjj, I just could'nt afford it any more after my Mom said she would only pay for my Wrestling outside of school. I chose speed training and Krav maga over BJJ cuz i like them better.)

How in the world could you NOT be overtraining with that daily regimen?
There is a time AND amount that the human body reaches that it just will no longer respond positively. Instead it will regress or not progress. In my opinion if there is no progress then there is no reason to do it at all.

After 45 min. of intense exercise certain hormones- such as cortisol and estrogen- are produced in large amounts and bring the body to a catabolic state which is a muscle breakdown environment. Your testosterone will greatly begin to decrease and estrogen increase. This is not a good thing.

If you spread your workout over a longer period of time your intensity MUST be decreased due to the mere fact of survival.
If you decrease the amount of time you train(on whatever exercise, movement or skillset) your intensity can then- and should then- be increased to the utmost to benefit.

Think about it. Let's use sprinting for an example.
If you sprint for 30s on the treadmill at an all out "balls to the wall" pace you will go hard. Let's increase the time to a 1 min. sprint. Think about that for a moment. Your pace- speed and intensity- will be lowered as compared to the 30s sprint in order to last the full 1 min.

The same principle can and does hold true for any sport, weight training workout, and/or cardio(hopefully you perform HIIT).

Recovery proceeds growth. Recovery proceeds growth.
Less is more. If you keep the intensity high you will not have to do as much in order to experience the same results.

I know most of you are not into fat loss, but the following research also holds true for VO2 Max as well.

The landmark study in interval training was from Tremblay et al. This study directly compared 20 weeks of endurance training against 15 weeks of interval training:

Energy cost of endurance training = 28661 calories.
Energy cost of interval training = 13614 calories (less than half)

The interval training group showed a 9 times greater loss in subcutaneous fat than the endurance group (when corrected for energy cost).

Read that again. Calorie for calorie, the interval training group lost nine times more fat overall. Why? Maybe it's EPOC*, an upregulation of fat burning enzyme activity. It doesn't really matter. I'm a real world guy and if I can work harder, but for less time and see greater results- then I'm all in!

*EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption) is defined scientifically as the "recovery of metabolic rate back to pre-exercise levels" and "can require several minutes for light exercise and several hours for hard intervals."

notrightn0w
05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I went up to twice a day 4 days a week now that I decided not to take classes over the Summer. So far it's been monday-thursday. I'm beginnign BJJ fairly soon aside from Muay Thai so I'll have to figure out a way to plan it out.