PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Eating for the Not-so-active

playuntiltheskyisblack
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,
So I work in a call centre, and I'm trying to eat healthier than I normally do.
My hours are really odd, so even if I WANT to get out and go for a run or hit the gym, I'm either exhausted from lack of sleep or (believe it or not) exhausted from a strenuous day at work.

I walk around now at about 235, down from 251 (just by watching what I eat) over the last month and a half. I walk or run whenever I can, but its few and far between.

I guess what I'm asking for is if anyone has something better I can go on then just watching what I eat.

Nutrition isn't really my thing. I'll either try and unintentionally starve myself or enduldge in really awful food.

I'm obviously not doing to bad for myself seeing as how I've lost 16 pounds in a month and a half doing little to no activity. I'm just looking to bump it up a notch but keep it safe and healthy.

Kimuras"R"Us
02-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey guys,
So I work in a call centre, and I'm trying to eat healthier than I normally do.
My hours are really odd, so even if I WANT to get out and go for a run or hit the gym, I'm either exhausted from lack of sleep or (believe it or not) exhausted from a strenuous day at work.

I walk around now at about 235, down from 251 (just by watching what I eat) over the last month and a half. I walk or run whenever I can, but its few and far between.

I guess what I'm asking for is if anyone has something better I can go on then just watching what I eat.

Nutrition isn't really my thing. I'll either try and unintentionally starve myself or enduldge in really awful food.

I'm obviously not doing to bad for myself seeing as how I've lost 16 pounds in a month and a half doing little to no activity. I'm just looking to bump it up a notch but keep it safe and healthy.

I'm sure you're doing most of these things anyway but i'll still post them:
Tons of water
Watch your carbs late
Watch your sugar... you'd be surprised by this one. Not just "hey i'll stop drinking pop (or soda or whatever the fuck you call it)". But i've done stuff like switch protein bars, avoid stuff with high fructose corn syrup (excessive ketchup, etc..) just to keep my unnecesary sugar down.
Eat plenty of smaller meals.

16 lbs in that span of time is actually really good.

playuntiltheskyisblack
02-26-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm sure you're doing most of these things anyway but i'll still post them:
Tons of water
Watch your carbs late
Watch your sugar... you'd be surprised by this one. Not just "hey i'll stop drinking pop (or soda or whatever the fuck you call it)". But i've done stuff like switch protein bars, avoid stuff with high fructose corn syrup (excessive ketchup, etc..) just to keep my unnecesary sugar down.
Eat plenty of smaller meals.

16 lbs in that span of time is actually really good.

Yeah I mean..I've been in shape most of my life. Captain of Track/Rugby/Football in football for my Middle/Highschool career. I've always had a really good metabolism, so I'm sure I still have it, but with the ammount of garbage I've been eating I wasn't giving it time to burn off.

In terms of what you've listed it's basically the same as what I'm trying to do.
I drink a shitload of waters and green teas. i try to avoid a lot of carbs anyway, sugars I'll have a go at, but i suppose I could cut down more.
The problem is the smaller meals..I'm never sure if it's too big or two small. Sometimes it feels like I'm eating 5 big meals, lol.

I appriciate the feedback though man, if you could give me a heads up on maybe the Smaller meals thing I'd be stoked.

Kimuras"R"Us
02-26-2008, 05:31 AM
I appriciate the feedback though man, if you could give me a heads up on maybe the Smaller meals thing I'd be stoked.

There's a million different meal plans you could find out there. They always contradict each other though I've noticed. "This is good" "No this is bad" etc.. The best thing to do is use portion control. Don't eat three chicken breasts just have a serving. You know what I mean? Basic shit like that. When it gets too difficult is when I think people lose interest in following it.

My main thing is eat until I'm not hungry anymore, but don't eat until I'm full. I know it's basic.

Like my lunch tomorrow is a chicken breast, an orange, and maybe a half cup of some vegetable like brocolli. That's enough food where i"ll be good for three hours (i try to eat every three), but after three hours I'll def be ready to eat again.

playuntiltheskyisblack
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
how tall are you?
A hair shy of 6'

There's a million different meal plans you could find out there. They always contradict each other though I've noticed. "This is good" "No this is bad" etc.. The best thing to do is use portion control. Don't eat three chicken breasts just have a serving. You know what I mean? Basic shit like that. When it gets too difficult is when I think people lose interest in following it.

My main thing is eat until I'm not hungry anymore, but don't eat until I'm full. I know it's basic.

Like my lunch tomorrow is a chicken breast, an orange, and maybe a half cup of some vegetable like brocolli. That's enough food where i"ll be good for three hours (i try to eat every three), but after three hours I'll def be ready to eat again.

Decent makes sense. Maybe that's what I do is just eay multiple meals until I'm full. I'll try and give the three hours thing a go. I tried like 4-5, so I'm sure I can eat less..more often.

BigBanda
03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah I am just like you... used to be real active and now not so much mainly because my long hours at work at a desk. I am looking to start eating healthier though to cut my gut off. Currently I dont eat fast food often at all but I still have some unhealthy meals. I usually drunk coffee in the morning then gatorade and sometimes Sprite.

So I'm thinking I probably need to cut the coffee and gatorade and maybe only drink water and maybe some sort of juice with low or no sugar. Sucks cause I love to drink coffee every morning. Then cut out foods with bread, high fat and eat things like vegetables and grilled chicken. I hope just doing this will help and I can still have a few beers once or twice a week. I also have an elliptical machine that I'm going to try to get on more often in addition to eating better.

Does my plan sound solid??? anything else I should do or try??

playuntiltheskyisblack
03-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah I am just like you... used to be real active and now not so much mainly because my long hours at work at a desk. I am looking to start eating healthier though to cut my gut off. Currently I dont eat fast food often at all but I still have some unhealthy meals. I usually drunk coffee in the morning then gatorade and sometimes Sprite.

So I'm thinking I probably need to cut the coffee and gatorade and maybe only drink water and maybe some sort of juice with low or no sugar. Sucks cause I love to drink coffee every morning. Then cut out foods with bread, high fat and eat things like vegetables and grilled chicken. I hope just doing this will help and I can still have a few beers once or twice a week. I also have an elliptical machine that I'm going to try to get on more often in addition to eating better.

Does my plan sound solid??? anything else I should do or try??

Thats more or less what I do now. I drink a ton of water, if ANYTHING a drink with no sugar, or something like that. Bunch of greens, white meat chicken breasts, low carbs.
Whenever I eat something I shouldn't I try and punish myself by running my stairs for about 15 minutes, or a small household circuit for the duration of one of my favourite albums.

In terms of the coffee, drink green tea. Its real good for you, helps metabolism and has antioxidants.

Speaking of metabolism, I read somewhere that made a perfect analogy for it. Picture it as a furnace. If you keep it smart, and keep fueling it it works fine, as opposed to waiting a day or two and pounding fuel into it. It doesnt work as well, because its not being maintained properly.

Basically, keep eating smaller, healthier amounts and it will treat you better as opposed to filling up with 3 days wort of energy and starving yourself for two.
Keep at it man, I'm definitely starting to SEE a difference. Im sure you will too.

jklep
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
you guys are on the right track, but a helpful hint, if your having a hard time eating 5-6 times a day, just get a cheap whey protien and drink it with water for 3 or 4 of them and still eat your three meals, drink it with water, whey makes your body get very hot-furnace reference- so you burn more fat and cals by drinking it, and that should keep you full for atleast an hour and yes on the green tea, that stuff is amazing, i just get green tea max and that keeps me rolling all day