PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Hopkins wants to unretire to fight current Heavyweight title holder

Matt Boone
09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
From www.FIGHTNEWS.com

Hopkins wants Maskaev!

Tuesday, September 19 2006

Former middleweight/light heavyweight king eyes heavyweight division

By Wolfgang Schiffbauer
Bernard Hopkins says he's considering unretiring to face WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev next June if Maskaev is still champion by then. "The state of the heavyweight divison in America is dead. Bernard Hopkins is the only boxer who can bring it (the heavyweight title) back (to America)," said Hopkins to the New York Daily News. The Executioner retired after becoming the undisputed light heavyweight champion with a victory over Antonio Tarver last June, however Hopkins also said that he will only take the challenge for the heavyweight crown if Mackie Shilstone will help him to bulk up to 200 pounds. Shilstone is a well known fitness guru in the sport, who worked with Hopkins before the Tarver fight and also with Roy Jones Jr. when he moved up to heavyweight and won the WBA belt against John Ruiz in March 2003. According to Hopkins, he would need nine months to get ready for the fight. To make a showdown between both fighters happen, Maskaev has to beat Peter Okhello in December, and most likely mandatory challenger Samuel Peter after this, which could be cause trouble for a clash against the former middleweight king. Of course, it is also not unprecendeted that the WBC would grant Maskaev another voluntary defense against Hopkins and the winner of this bout finally has to face Peter.

Greenish
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I think Bhop can beat Maskaev, who is more of a puncher than a boxer...I would actully like to see this fight.

icemanct
09-19-2006, 10:07 PM
holy shit!!!!!!!! if he beat maskaev wow

Matt Boone
09-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Maskaev should do it just for the spotlight and money if nothing else. I'm not even sure how to analyze a fight like that, I would assume Hopkins would dance circles around him and probably barely get touched en route to a points victory after 12.

Afro
09-20-2006, 01:44 AM
he'll beat Oleg, I hope he does it just another thing to add to his GREAT legacy of course he aint no RJJ but B-Hop is still the man

Punk Ass
09-21-2006, 11:56 PM
I think BHop could do it but I don't think he needs to. And it's a very dangerous fight. BHop is 41 years old and one day he's going to show his age. Hopefully not against Oleg if that does happen but I don't want to see it.