PDA

View Full Version : Groin Protectors and Protective Cups

southsider
03-06-2008, 04:07 PM
What brand and what types do you guys roll with, if any?
I'm trying to decide on getting one of these:

Under Armour Heatgear Core Vent Compression Short & Cup from Title Boxing (http://store.titleboxing.com/under-armour-short-cup.html)

Shock Doctor Compression Shorts with Flex Cup from Title Boxing (http://store.titleboxing.com/shock-doctor-shorts-cup.html)

Shock Doctor X-Fit Support with Flex Cup from Title Boxing (http://store.titleboxing.com/shock-doctor-cup.html)

Any recommendations? Thanks!

willieshatner
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I just rock some cheap cup I bought at Sports Authority a long time ago. lol, I think the brand is Bike? I wear it over a pair of underarmor shorts, works fine.

its just a cup, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. but Shock Doctor and UA are very good brands. just get whatever looks the most comfortable to you

I know some guys that roll without a cup, but I fear the knee-on-balls guard pass too much to go without one

southsider
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm currently using a hockey jock with the cup, and it's pretty uncomfortable haha. It gets pretty damn hot down there too lol

Ramma
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I just rock some cheap cup I bought at Sports Authority a long time ago. lol, I think the brand is Bike? I wear it over a pair of underarmor shorts, works fine.

its just a cup, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. but Shock Doctor and UA are very good brands. just get whatever looks the most comfortable to you

I know some guys that roll without a cup, but I fear the knee-on-balls guard pass too much to go without one

I use Bike as well.. it is OKAY.. not the most comfortable thing ever... but not uncomfortable either.

If anyone throws out some good suggestions, maybe I will switch

And I fear the balls on the chin when I triangle someone.. so I wear one :thumbsup:

BigBanda
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
In my years of wrestling in the past I never wore a cup. Sometimes I felt would of been nice to have one on though lol.

Kimuras"R"Us
03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
In my years of wrestling in the past I never wore a cup. Sometimes I felt would of been nice to have one on though lol.

haha yeah I have never worn one in my life. I think about 12 years of football and now a little over a year of BJJ.

Must be a small target.... :huh:

Noob
03-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Pff. Save your money on the over-priced and expensive stuff. More marketing than substance.

Steel cup is the way to go. It's actually a lot more comfortable than you would think, all but indestructible, and you'll never need to buy another one. About $30 if I remember right.

Or you could just get a Nutty Buddy.

YouTube - The Nutty Buddy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9aiWr0Vfg)

Athletic Cup Supporters Protective Mens Safety Equipment (http://www.nuttybuddy.com/)

mcdev88
03-07-2008, 05:21 AM
i never used on until about 2 months ago i did an arm bar off my back with my opponent standing. i crushed my right ball and it burned and was excrutiating. needless to say i began to wear a cup all the time after that.

Misfits138
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
I like the shock doctor compression short. I've had mine for like a year and it's lasted pretty well. If it gets uncomfortable, you just pull the cup insert out and you're just wearing underwear.

southsider
03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah I got the shock doctor, but not the compression short, just the supporter. It's working great!

FE_EatsChildren
03-11-2008, 03:36 AM
i never used on until about 2 months ago i did an arm bar off my back with my opponent standing. i crushed my right ball and it burned and was excrutiating. needless to say i began to wear a cup all the time after that.

basically the same reason to why i bought one. hahaha.

mcdev88
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
ok so i said the other day how about 2 months ago i started using a cup all the time. the other day i decided that i didnt need it just to roll.

bad choice. me and a training partner were drilling i he was in my guard, i kicked him backwards to try and stand up, he immidietly came flying back in to put pressure on me and stop me from getting up. his knee hit below my balls on like the part of my weiner under the skin. i almost started crying it hurt so bad. i couldnt even speak, i didnt yell or anything i just gasp.

i put my cup on and dont plan on ever taking it off again.

southsider
03-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, one of the smartest investments haha. It will take away the fear you may have, as getting hit once may make you subconsciously reluctant to go all out.

The Shock Doctor flex cup with supporter is amazing guys. Flexible and provides excellent protection. You can always take the cup out and put it into an under armour compression short with cup insert or something.

TriangleChoke
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
i also use the steel cup. my jock is like the compression shorts, only more like briefs. my jock actually looks like a pair of whitey tighteys..picked it up at wal mart but it's uncomfortable as hell. i have some compression shorts that i used for baseball that i use sometimes in bjj, but they are uncomfortable too.

as far as cups go, the steel cup is the way to go

wings277
03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
i need one of that

cowboyjunkies
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I used the Bike one I got at Dick's Sporting Goods. Works for me.

brutejitsu
10-18-2010, 04:05 AM
" I use a Cast Iron frying pan and duct Tape, and of course filled with baby powder"