PDA

View Full Version : What's a good healthy daily mean plan?

Paytheplayer
03-14-2008, 06:54 AM
This kinda goes along with my other thread, about the fat loss supplements in the sense that Im trying to learn how to cut all of the excess fat. I feel like I usually know what Im doing when it comes to eating right, but obviously there's always room for improvement. I have the Whey protein, and I make my daily protein shakes, and I try to stick to smaller meals, realistically I go about 5-8 throughout the day. I try to eat more chicken, steak veggies etc. I was just wonderin what are some examples of everyone elses daily meal plans. (Healthy ones only please) Thanks.

Clint
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't have any solid ones at the moment (because my diet sucks horrendously right now but I'll try and throw an example one together:
Breakfast:
Spinach Omlete (I used to make these in bulk and freeze them to nuke at work)
Apple

Lunch:
Beef and Bean Chili
Vegetable (Celery or Carrots usually)

Snack:
protein shake

Dinner (PWO):
Chicken and vegetable stir fry w/ Brown rice

Snack:
This would be a good time for cottage cheese but I can't stand the stuff, so usually some riccota cheese or a casein shake

Thats approximately what I was doing when I was losing weight, but then I got busy and quit doing it because I am a lazy ass

TriangleChoke
03-26-2008, 01:29 AM
This kinda goes along with my other thread, about the fat loss supplements in the sense that Im trying to learn how to cut all of the excess fat. I feel like I usually know what Im doing when it comes to eating right, but obviously there's always room for improvement. I have the Whey protein, and I make my daily protein shakes, and I try to stick to smaller meals, realistically I go about 5-8 throughout the day. I try to eat more chicken, steak veggies etc. I was just wonderin what are some examples of everyone elses daily meal plans. (Healthy ones only please) Thanks.

I've started my own meal plan that has been working for me over the past few weeks. I started my diet and weight training 4 weeks ago and i'm finally starting to notice some changes.

Here's a basic overview of my meal plan and one should note that I didnt research any particular plan, i just took advice from my peers who are in good shape:

6AM: Lift and run
7:30 AM: 2 egg whites and a bowl of fruit (usually strawberries and grapes)
9:50 AM (when my first class is over): Munch on a protein bar
11:00 AM: Apple and then go to morning bjj class
2:00 PM: Tuna Sandwich on wheat or a bowl of beef&bean chili (Props to clint)
6:00 PM: 1 Boneless skinless chicken breast or 2 small fish filets (frozen kind you can get at wal-mart, sams, etc), some kind of greens-sometimes a bowl of english peas or 2-3 celery sticks, spinach, whatever you prefer really and a few pieces of fruit (usually strawberries and grapes)
after 6 i may eat half a protein bar but nothing more than that. i try not to eat after 6 and that's hard because i LOVE to eat...especially late night munchies

but yea im not on any strict diet or anything. I've been taking bjj for a while but that just wasnt enough...i'm dieting and exercising more for appearance, not for competition or anything like that. But yea it's been 4 weeks since i've started and i've lost some weight, starting to lose a little bit of the belly finally. Honestly man, if you're not going by a strict diet from a nutritionist or a diet out of a health magazine of some kind, it's just trial and error.

try a diet for a month or 2 and if it feels like it's working, keep at it. men's health magazine has some AWESOME recipes for meals that are extremely tasty. you could try that

edit: i should also mention that i allow myself to cheat once a week my battering up my fish or chicken and frying it to a golden brown crisp...mmmmmmm mmmmm so damn good!

Paytheplayer
03-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah some of those sound like good alternatives. I hit the gym for 2 hours a day, about an hour n a half of weight training, and then i do half an hour cardio. Im down to 212 from 220 in the past 2 weeks, and I've noticed a little bit in the ripped department, which is my main goal. To keep some size, but get more ripped.

But the problem is, I have a good healthy meal plan, but its basically the same damn thing everyday. I have say Oatmeal and fruit in the AM, Tuna on whole wheat for lunch, immediately after the gym ill have my protein shake, and then a chicken breast and maybe some brocolli. I just find it challenging to mix things up. The Beef and Bean chilli sounds good.

I wanted to get some protein bars but everything I see is so damn expensive, any tips?

Rufio
03-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Meal 1: Scoop of whey protein w/ fat free milk, plain oatmeal or Uncle Sam's cereal (high in fiber, almsot no sugar, high in Omega-3's -- check it out at Wal-Mart)

Meal 2: Chicken breasts and walnuts

Meal 3: Tuna and broccoli

Meal 4: 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, tablesoon of coconut oil

Meal 5: Turkey and scoop of PB

Meal 6: Chicken breasts

This is just me though. I respond better using fat as my main energy source. Coconut oil is good for that because it's abundant in MCTs and there's significant research backing up its ability to boost your thyroid function. You may respond better to carbs as your main energy source though. Just think about what you ate when you stored fat before and what you ate when you didn't. You may be more carb sensitive or more fat sensitive. Try to seperate your meals into protein/carb and protein/fat meals (like in my examples) and see what you react better to. Everyone is different. Aim for at least as many grams of protein as pounds you weigh.

Paytheplayer
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah thats the hard thing to judge. I used to work out very consistently, but pretty much ate whatever I want. Whether it be pizza, ice cream, chips, cookies you name it. Thats when I got to 220. I was big, muscular, but fat ass belly too. I'll definitely have to try some coconut oil, i've never heard of taking that before.
With the meals i listed above, and keeping with my normal workout routine, ive cut down to 210. But I have a question. When is the best time to weigh yourself the most accurately? I weight myself in the AM, partly because thats when I heard is the best time, and partly because I know thats when I weigh the least.

Clint
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah some of those sound like good alternatives. I hit the gym for 2 hours a day, about an hour n a half of weight training, and then i do half an hour cardio. Im down to 212 from 220 in the past 2 weeks, and I've noticed a little bit in the ripped department, which is my main goal. To keep some size, but get more ripped.

But the problem is, I have a good healthy meal plan, but its basically the same damn thing everyday. I have say Oatmeal and fruit in the AM, Tuna on whole wheat for lunch, immediately after the gym ill have my protein shake, and then a chicken breast and maybe some brocolli. I just find it challenging to mix things up. The Beef and Bean chilli sounds good.

I wanted to get some protein bars but everything I see is so damn expensive, any tips?

Vanilla or bannana protein powder
A couple bannanas
Some peanut butter
some oatmeal

Mix the bannanas and peanutbutter together in the blender or food processor and then mix them with the oats and protein powder. Then just bale at 350 degrees for a couple minutes (don't cook them too long or they get hard) and let them cool down. Adjust as you want (add vanilla, nuts, etc)

As for food, check out gourmet nutrition from john berardi for recipes. It's rather solid.

Paytheplayer
03-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Vanilla or bannana protein powder
A couple bannanas
Some peanut butter
some oatmeal

Mix the bannanas and peanutbutter together in the blender or food processor and then mix them with the oats and protein powder. Then just bale at 350 degrees for a couple minutes (don't cook them too long or they get hard) and let them cool down. Adjust as you want (add vanilla, nuts, etc)

As for food, check out gourmet nutrition from john berardi for recipes. It's rather solid.

Thanks for the recipe man. How many bars does it make or does it make just one? And how many scoops of Protein?

Clint
03-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the recipe man. How many bars does it make or does it make just one? And how many scoops of Protein?

I usually make a pretty big batch aim for around 1/2 to 1 scoop per bar. Somewhere I have actual measurements but usually I just eyeball it

Rufio
03-28-2008, 01:39 AM
In the morning, you're retaining the least amount of water ... But really, you shouldn't care about weight. There are factors other than muscle mass or fat that go into changes in weight. What you should really look for is any differences in your physique. See how your clothes are fitting. Look for new definition. That kind of thing.

Paytheplayer
03-28-2008, 08:19 PM
In the morning, you're retaining the least amount of water ... But really, you shouldn't care about weight. There are factors other than muscle mass or fat that go into changes in weight. What you should really look for is any differences in your physique. See how your clothes are fitting. Look for new definition. That kind of thing.

Yeah thats true. You know when I weigh myself, and I see I lost weight, its sorta bittersweet. Im all stoked because im getting closer to my goal weight. Then I put on my tee to go hit the gym, and the sleeves are a lot looser, which is kinda a downer lol. I guess it goes both ways though, you get happy you're cuttin the weight, but then you have to realize you're going to shrink also.

Palma
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
When I stay discipline this is what I eat when I am in training...

First thing in the morning:
2 scrambled eggs with no salt or 1 cup of plain Oatmeal

Between breakfest and Lunch:
a banana or a small handfull of cashews

Lunch:
Wheat bread Turkey Sandwich

before pracitice:
small handfull of blue berries and cashews or a string cheese

After pracitice:
small seasoned Chicken breast, salad, or protien shake

I try to create a variation of this so I don't get completely bored with eating, but high protien low fat several times a day has given me the best results for losing weight, retaining muscle mass, and still have enough energy to run, lift, and train almost every day.

My biggest obstical is beer... It not only makes me fatter, but I think it creates allot more lactic acid.

dagreat1
03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Breakfest - Fudge Brownie
Between b-fest and lunch - small bag of pork rinds and a jolt cola
Lunch - Whataburger 1200 calorie burger
Snack - Cinna-bun and starbucks latte
Dinner - Applebees fiesta lime chicken - 1,300 calories
Before bed - jumbo bag of sour patch kids

If you're looking for better results you can replace the cinnabun & latte with another bag of prok rinds.

TheKidInside
04-06-2008, 09:16 PM
dude instead of asking what to eat or what not to eat go read some blogs and/or some credible health sites that'll teach you about what you eat, i.e. carbs, proteins, triglycerides, etc and learn how to eat right so that at any time and in any type of training regiment you'll know what to eat and what not to eat, and when and how.

here's a good blog that a guy I know publishes. 60 IN 3 (http://www.60in3.com)

Palma
04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
dude instead of asking what to eat or what not to eat go read some blogs and/or some credible health sites that'll teach you about what you eat, i.e. carbs, proteins, triglycerides, etc and learn how to eat right so that at any time and in any type of training regiment you'll know what to eat and what not to eat, and when and how.

There's a shit load of people who train here... what's the problem with him asking posters he know and trusts what has worked for them?

Clint
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
There's a shit load of people who train here... what's the problem with him asking posters he know and trusts what has worked for them?

lol yeah or atleast give the names of the blogs and whatnot to read since I would trust the guys on the forum before I trusted random "experts" out there.

There are plenty of very good knowledgeable people out there but you have to know who they are. Personally I like John Berardi

Paytheplayer
04-16-2008, 12:13 AM

Its not like I dont have a clue. I just like to see what other people on here eat for variety, and some alternative options. Like Palma said, a shitload of people on here actually train, so I trust their opinions. Yeah there are other sites I look to also, but I take into consideration what a lot of people on here have to say.

TheKidInside
04-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Its not like I dont have a clue. I just like to see what other people on here eat for variety, and some alternative options. Like Palma said, a shitload of people on here actually train, so I trust their opinions. Yeah there are other sites I look to also, but I take into consideration what a lot of people on here have to say.

I didn't mean to say that you shouldn't be asking here but it's more practical to find out how and what to actually eat instead of trying to follow someone else's diet.

Look, the point I was trying to make is that you could follow other people's nutrition but there's no way that could work for me for example as I buy/like to eat certain things. I didn't mean any offense neither did I call you an idiot did I? no.

also, I did post one blog. And I agree there's a lot of self proclaimed "experts" out there, but I never read their crap. and as always you should REFERENCE what you read. If one guy says eat maaaaaaaad carbs and the other says eat so and so amount of carbs, the best thing to do is find out what carbs are, what they do and what's a healthy approach to fit your needs. it's not really all that hard.