PDA

View Full Version : Started Jiu jitsu last night

Tyler4870
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
It's not BJJ, it's a Hakkoryu jiu jitsu/karate/Judo hybrid. The Sensi is one of the deputies that I work with. Alot to learn, but it's fun. I learned Throws the first night. I started with another guy I work with, he said last night he learned more than he did in a month of Tae Kwon Do. I'll keep you posted as to how it's going.

SimpleJack
03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Congratulations! I've been wanting to try BJJ personally, but with the kid, wife and work it's tough. One question, gi or no gi?

Poindexter
03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
It's not BJJ, it's a Hakkoryu jiu jitsu/karate/Judo hybrid. The Sensi is one of the deputies that I work with. Alot to learn, but it's fun. I learned Throws the first night. I started with another guy I work with, he said last night he learned more than he did in a month of Tae Kwon Do. I'll keep you posted as to how it's going.

Nice man, I'm jealous. I gotta get my fat lazy ass in gear and get on the same tip.

Palma
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I went to a club that's an affiliate of our club, because they roll nogi there... I thought it was just a nogi class until I went to leave after practice and everyone was like "where are you going?" Fuck if I didn't know it was an MMA pracitice. Lol, it was like 2 and a half hours long and it was brutal. I mopped up on everyone in grappling and wrestling, but when it came to boxing I was totally out of my element. ALthough it was fun as hell I'm glad I'm in shape or I would have had a heart attack.

Ifightforaliving
03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I love rolling no gi. I have one huge problem, and thats finding someone my fucking size. I usually have to roll with a 200 lb out of shape guy, or I may get lucky and some big guy shows up, but he has no skills or isn't familiar with BJJ at all. Damn I hate being so big sometimes.

Tyler4870
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Congratulations! I've been wanting to try BJJ personally, but with the kid, wife and work it's tough. One question, gi or no gi?

It is tough, i'm also married with two young kids and I work 12 hr shifts so needless to say my wife isn't thrilled, but she did push me into it so no big deal. It's a gi class, I just bought my Gi too, sould get it next week.

Ramma
03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Keep it up man. Grappling in any form is a good time and a learning process. Enjoy it.

Quintessential Studmuffin
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Congrats on starting.

I did a bit over this past summer,but due to work and other shit I had to put it on hold. But my basement is pimped out with about 20 feet of rolling mats,among other things. So I still get my grapple on now and then.

I prefer no Gi for sure. Much more comfortable,and you dont have to rely on your opponents sleeves to defend chokes.

Im hoping to start back up again sometime this summer.

Ramma
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Congrats on starting.

I did a bit over this past summer,but due to work and other shit I had to put it on hold. But my basement is pimped out with about 20 feet of rolling mats,among other things. So I still get my grapple on now and then.

I prefer no Gi for sure. Much more comfortable,and you dont have to rely on your oppenents sleeves to defend chokes.

Im hoping to start back up again sometime this summer.

I hear you, I like no Gi so much more.

matto
03-31-2008, 04:20 AM
mma practice is the most fun and very beneficial for your all around game. judo is great grappling, gives you throws, sweeps and other takedown methods to add to your wrestling. sometimes using a gi to practice can be bad, while it is almsot the same, some moves are only used with a gi or can be harder without one, if your going to fight, gi training is good, but you need no gi training as well.

matto
03-31-2008, 04:23 AM
anybody know where you can get new wrestling/grappling mats at a cheep price that arent used. you can save a lot of money getting old used ones, but i usually cannot get within 5 feet of them without almost puking because of the horrific smell.

Warrior Mac
03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
congrat for starting up meng. I thinks if you a fast guys whos not very techinal youll want to go no gi. if your not so fast and you want a slower but more techinal go to gi.

willieshatner
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I think every BJJ practitioner should do some no-gi training but I see the gi as a very useful training aid. all the extra friction restricts your movement and forces you to do things more technically correct. especially escapes. sometimes when rolling no-gi you can just slip out of certain situations using raw ability, the sweat factor can really come into play, but this doesn't necessarily promote improvement of your technique.

personally I train 2-3 times per week in the gi and once a week without it.

Tyler4870
04-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Well I don't have much choice. Due to lack of options, gi is the only way to go around here for now. And plus it's not BJJ, the gi is nessessary at this poiny

rafesparza
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM

That's awesome man. I'm looking to find a BJJ class in June and start up finally. I'm looking forward to it and trying to figure out what to do to start prepping for it.

Stay with it man.

mmasince91
04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Isn't it great!! I ahve been traing BJJ for about three year and I love it. Are you Gi or no gi? Congrats and good luck

krayven
04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I love rolling no gi. I have one huge problem, and thats finding someone my fucking size. I usually have to roll with a 200 lb out of shape guy, or I may get lucky and some big guy shows up, but he has no skills or isn't familiar with BJJ at all. Damn I hate being so big sometimes.

Same here bro. ..lol

I like using the Gi at least once a week because it mentally forces me to think of things in a real life practical situation using someones sleeves to choke them or to create and remove space etc.. ..

No Gi is the shyt tho. There's just something about the freedom.

Tyler4870
04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
We learned hip throws last night, now I have this bruise on my right thigh the size of a tennis ball and it's deep too. It hurts like hell but oh well. I'm having fun and it's challenging learning all the steps.