PDA

View Full Version : Yod Fairtex talks about fight with Souwer

Ramma
03-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Once upon a time Shakespeare said “Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy”- in that quote ROGUE has literally taken the ink out of, however in this instance we aint talking tragedy- it’s euphoria as Yodsankalai making the K-1 Max circuit is a real possibility!!!
The Andy Souwer main event-fight he took at SLAMM 4 in Almere, Holland was nothing short of the hotly contested dual most critics expected. On one side we had the monstrous Lumpinee reputation and on the other a legacy of Shoot Boxing, and K-1 Max heritage. Something had to give!

Three rounds and the champions couldn’t be separated on the score cards, and in an extension round Andy Souwer takes the win. This decision however drew much debate and controversy. Not that in case of not having a Knock Out, it was always going to be the case. Anyhow with most internet forums racking up unprecedented posting numbers, arguments both for and against Yod and Andy….

Focussing mainly on the judging criteria, where the rules were K-1 and not Muay Thai. Naturally the Thai master whose game plan is all about demolishing his opponent with looping power kicks (left kick) and smashing punches to the body, did exactly that. This did not score well with the judges as the points scoring favoured clean shots to the body, as argued by most from the Holland. Most of Yod's kicks were taken on the forearms by Souwer, which were obviously painful but didn't convince the ring side three wise-men.

It was a compelling fight as Souwer in his traditional long pants and Yodsankalai in his SLAMM 4 sponsors trunks, traded kick for kick and tested each others boxing. These sorts of fights are best settled by way of a knock out.

Usually in case of a tight decision and when the judges are wanted for their cards, more often than not the decision will go to the home town fighter. Not that it is wrong, the correct decision was made- but it is a trend seen on a global scale.

Perhaps next time when these two meet, we could see a neutral venue and neutral judges to avoid any controversy. Then again, it is sad to imply that given the fully professional nature of Kick Boxing. Netherlands have produced some of the best officials, judges, critics and commentators of the sport and their rich history of contribution to the stand up code is massive. So technically judging and decisions shouldn’t be an issue!

In a marvel comic super-hero strip like clash, where Flash Gordon squares off with the Silver Surfer, Yod and Andy are set to create a legacy of their own. We reliably learn that a re-match is already being speculated and with their star appeal and movie star qualities the Kick Boxing box office will be smashed several times over.

A compelling issue which was highlighted by the Fairtex camp was when the Thai super star was asked to come down to the 70 Kg mark as opposed to the originally planned 72.5 Kg limit. This meant Yod cut weight almost overnight to make it at the weigh in. That being said there are no excuses whatsoever from the Thai camp and Yod was full of praise for his opponent “He’s a very good fighter and I like his low kicks- I think he liked my body kicks!”

What’s more: now that the whole world knows the “Hero’s” capabilities and style, his K-1 re-appearance won’t be far away. It is rumoured to be mid-year, and you will hear it first right here on Rogue Magazine - Home (http://www.roguemag.com)

Q. How did you find the Andy Souwer fight, and how was he as an opponent?
A. He had great low kicks and full of energy. I was low on energy due to cutting weight at the very last moment- I didn’t understand why they changed weight so much at the very last moment, but I was there to fight, coming all the way from Thailand- so I thought I must fight at weight they want to…

Q. Did you have a problem with the style of rules (sans elbows, clinch work and grapple work)?
A. No Problems. It was fine by me….

Q. In your opinion did you think you won? Or was Andy the winner on the day?
A. I thought I did enough to win, yeah I surely thought I won, but i have to accept and respect the decision.

Q. There are comments from a world wide audience that Andy Souwer looked more prepared and had a game plan for this fight- what are your thoughts on that and how about you- what was your game plan?
A. No I don’t think so, nothing really- go out there fight and win as I always have.

Q. Do you think in the future you will do well in the K-1 rules format?
A. Yes I do, I know I have a fight coming up: I will tell roguemag.com first when it’s ready. Since they have now seen me fight Andy, they know I am good for the K-1.

Q. How about a re-match? Maybe in Thailand or somewhere else or are you happy to fight again in Holland?
A. No problem, I am ready any day- Holland is fine. I will fight anywhere, any day but next time I want my own corner man, not the corner man they give me.

Q. What’s your next fight and how will you prepare for that?
A. I have a busy schedule; The Contender is next and then after that May 31st in Sweden for WMC title fight.

Q. On a personal note, how was the Dutch crowd and what do you think of Dutch girls- are they pretty?
A. They were all beautiful, very pretty! Thanks for all the fans in Holland, all Dutch people are very nice people and I would love to go back and fight there! It was great place to fight- Thank You SLAMM and thank you Netherlands!

Q. So what did you think of “The Contender Asia” Hostess Jaymee Ong? Is she very pretty and do you like her (LOL)…Lots of people want to know…!?
A. She is very beautiful and very friendly person, she is very friendly with me- I like her and she likes me, we are very good friends!

Source - Rogue Magazine - The HERO talks Sweet of Souwer: K-1 Max a possibility? (http://www.roguemag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=238&Itemid=89)

valheruking
03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Kinda ridiculous that he's not in K-1, maybe now that he took their champ to an extra round they'll open their eyes a little, but as a lot of people know, it wouldn't really suit K-1 to have 2 top Thais in Max, and Buakaw is more marketable so they probably think they don't need to, but it comes down to skill at the end of the day and if they really want to have the best fighters in the world they need to sign him.

Ramma
03-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Kinda ridiculous that he's not in K-1, maybe now that he took their champ to an extra round they'll open their eyes a little, but as a lot of people know, it wouldn't really suit K-1 to have 2 top Thais in Max, and Buakaw is more marketable so they probably think they don't need to, but it comes down to skill at the end of the day and if they really want to have the best fighters in the world they need to sign him.

I agree.

I don't really see why K-1 would have any problem signing him though, he is a great fighter. That is really what it comes down to in the end.