PDA

View Full Version : Heavy bag workouts/tips

dbader08
03-31-2008, 02:01 AM
So i recently bought a heavy bag (50 pounds, i'm a skinny kid) and i was wondering what all i should do lol

mostly i just throw 1-2's, some 3-4 punch combos, and throw some kicks in...(still have yet to be able to throw an effective kick with my left leg lol), but mostly everything i throw is just thrown randomly, i have no pattern of any sort, i do not go by rounds or time myself...i just turn on some Pantera and start hitting the bag for 30-45 minutes.

So does anybody know of any really effective Heavy bag workouts they could share? Also any tips or advice when using a heavy bag would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

notrightn0w
04-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Learn to kick. It will probably take a while. After you learn how to throw a decent kick, you need to work on your power, so I recommend throwing about 15 kicks using each leg so you can develop your power.

Work on your combos, The bag is excellent for working on your speed and power, try and learn some basic combinations, then you can have fun mixing it up a little, throw some elbows in etc... you can also learn how to mix kicks into your combos as well using the bag, if you just learned how to kick chances are you're not going to be using kicks in combos when sparring.

Above all, push your limits but don't break your bodies boundaries. when i was younger I broke my knuckles on my bag so many times that they're deformed now. You cna make the argument that it makes them tougher, but I just think it makes them easier to break.

Ubermensch
04-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Get some duct tape and divide your bag into three so you have basic aiming for your peripheral vision. Hit and Kick full power every time don't practice jabs on it. Also take it down and use it like a person and flip it over your shoulder and?or head. You should get a thai bag they are much longer and better to fight with. Also you can do mountain climbers and then use the bag as a person to shoot onto for your last mountain climber. There are way more things you can do I just can think of any right now because I just bot back from the Gym and all the blood is not in my brain hahaha. Good luck

Ramma
04-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Do me a favor.. post a picture of your set up. I might be able to give some additional tips/pointers

Just some tips:

A. Use your wraps and/or gloves.. I suggest both.. protect your hands... using a mouth piece is always nice too.

B. I don't know if you have any striking experience or not.. but.. make sure you are striking correctly... that includes, but is not limited to: making sure you are hitting with the first two knuckles on your fist, working on your footwork (your feet should never be completely stationary when you throw a technique), etc. So watch some stuff, film yourself, and compare it. You could have all the power in the world, but if your technique is bad.. you will never hit anybody who knows anything. Not to mention.. avoiding bad habits are eaiser than breaking them.

C. Develop your kicks (even if it is leg kicks) and THEN add them into your combos.

D. Try to never stop the bag with your hands.. if it starts rocking all over the place.. knee it, hook it, round house kick it, etc. back to a stationary position. It is good practice.

E. Hit the bag coming towards you.. but equally important, going away from you... it is much more like really fighting someone.

F. If you get in close to the bag (on accident, or on purpose).. don't just drop your hands and walk away.. strike, dip, etc. your way to proper fighting distance.

G. Also, don't just sit there and DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY... otherwise, you are going to be mighty shocked when your opponent parries your jab or cross and socks you. If you know how to properly block, catch, parry, bob and weave, leg shield, dip, etc... add that into your bag work.

H. Try not to be completely random once you get to combos... work on a jab, jab, cross 20, 30 times in a row.. then a Hook, Cross, Hook x amount of times.. a cross, lead uppercut, rear leg kick x amount of times.

I. One of the most important parts.... warm up... stretching, jump roping, etc.. you go straight to throwing bombs and you are going to get hurt.

Uber's duct tape suggestion is important as well. Also, if you want to have a lot of fun. get some marker that can rub off, and draw a face at different heights.. just work on hitting people of different sizes. I enjoy it lol

Truth is.. before you start going combo crazy, it is important that you are doing other things right first..

dbader08
04-01-2008, 05:30 AM
i got the keith livingston kickboxing book a while back and shadowboxed all the time and developed somewhat technically.

technically i throw a decent punch as far as body rotation, making a complete fist and keeping hand straight (not curling it), not telegraphing it, footwork...

but yeah i use sparring gloves but i do not wrap my hands...my hands hurt sometimes, but not that bad...i guess because it's only a 50 pound bag..lol

and yeah i usually just do basic combos like
1.the ole 1-2
2. hook, cross, hook
3. jab, cross, hook
4. jab, rhk

...i don't go too crazy with 6 punch combos or any crazy ninja shit yet lol

...i usually punch it till i'm sweating pretty good and i'm pretty fatigued...it usually takes like 30-40 minutes about when i'm going full on...lol i'm kinda outta shape but i usually drink quite a bit of water before hitting it...

i was gonna get a double end bag, uppercut bag, and speedbag...but then i thought that would be pretty stupid to buy everything all at once and that i should just wait..lol

and yeah i know jump ropes are really important but what exactly do they help...just timing and coordination?

as you can see i'm a noob (i'm 17) so any points that you can make and any quesitons that you can answer would be greatly appreciated....

thanks alot to everyone who posted so far and yeah Ramma i'll try to get the pic of my set up on here tomoroww.

Ubermensch
04-01-2008, 05:57 AM
YOU MUST Wrap your hands not even just sometimes!!! And kick with your shins as if you are srtiking some one with a bat I have mentioned some techniques in earlier posts in this place just do a search or go through some past threads. Technique as Ramma said the MOST important thing go slow and do it right but always hit it hard so you get use to it. And yes warm up your engine first but that is a must in any athletics that you do. Injuries happe if you don't.

Ramma
04-01-2008, 06:15 AM
i got the keith livingston kickboxing book a while back and shadowboxed all the time and developed somewhat technically.

technically i throw a decent punch as far as body rotation, making a complete fist and keeping hand straight (not curling it), not telegraphing it, footwork...

but yeah i use sparring gloves but i do not wrap my hands...my hands hurt sometimes, but not that bad...i guess because it's only a 50 pound bag..lol

and yeah i usually just do basic combos like
1.the ole 1-2
2. hook, cross, hook
3. jab, cross, hook
4. jab, rhk

...i don't go too crazy with 6 punch combos or any crazy ninja shit yet lol

...i usually punch it till i'm sweating pretty good and i'm pretty fatigued...it usually takes like 30-40 minutes about when i'm going full on...lol i'm kinda outta shape but i usually drink quite a bit of water before hitting it...

i was gonna get a double end bag, uppercut bag, and speedbag...but then i thought that would be pretty stupid to buy everything all at once and that i should just wait..lol

and yeah i know jump ropes are really important but what exactly do they help...just timing and coordination?

as you can see i'm a noob (i'm 17) so any points that you can make and any quesitons that you can answer would be greatly appreciated....

thanks alot to everyone who posted so far and yeah Ramma i'll try to get the pic of my set up on here tomoroww.

See below for the wraps thing.

Like I said, if you want to really see what you look like, film yourself.. and, you should always have mirrors present, they come in handy.

Jump rope helps with timing/coordination, cardio, breathing, and eventually footwork, balance, etc. Jumping rope is something EVERY athlete should do. Not only that, but once you can start doing tricks and stuff, it gets to be a lot of fun. Make sure you land softly and be careful if you start feeling any bad stuff in the knees.. might mean you need to warm them up a little.

It is good to punch until your exhausted. Sometimes, however, don't use all your strength.. my philosophy is that your last punch (or kick, knee, etc) should be as good as your first.. if not better. If you always start out strong.. and lose technique everytime as you go longer.. you are actually TRAINING your muscles to become sloppier as you go on. (Don't let that get you gun shy or anything and make you worry.. it comes from doing it like that for a long period of time).

And last but not least, who cares if you are a noob? Better a noob than someone so pig headed and full of pride that they are too stubborn to ask questions.

Always ask questions, you can never know enough.

YOU MUST Wrap your hands not even just sometimes!!! And kick with your shins as if you are srtiking some one with a bat I have mentioned some techniques in earlier posts in this place just do a search or go through some past threads. Technique as Ramma said the MOST important thing go slow and do it right but always hit it hard so you get use to it. And yes warm up your engine first but that is a must in any athletics that you do. Injuries happe if you don't.

^^ Yeah, Uber is right.. I should have stressed that even more than I did. You need to learn to wrap your hands. There are tutorials on YouTube and such. I mean, I can film it and show you how it is done at my Muay Thai school. Everyone says you gotta do it this way or that way.

The way I see it, if you instructor/school tells you to do it a certain way and you are injury free.. that is the right way.

Landing the kick with your shin is very important. There are styles where the foot can also be the hammer head (My Tae Kwon Do school for example)... but, without a tolerance for it (and a little bit of nerve killing lol).. you are just going to hurt or break your foot (you'll notice that Cro Cop lands shots with his foot all the time.. and he is one of the only ones).

I'd say if I gave you any more info at this point, we'd be playing the cramming game..

Worry about technique :thumbsup:

dbader08
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
allright so technique, wrapping, and technique...lol

but anyways thanks alot...that^^^ pretty much answers all of my questions