PDA

View Full Version : dangers of sleeping dehydrated

chuteboxechamp
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
i've got a tournament coming up this weekend and i really wanna make 170 im way off though, so I plan on cutting 7-10 pounds in the sauna the night before, weigh ins are at 9, then i probably wont have a match until 10:30- 11:30, does anyone know if there is a big danger sleeping dehydrated like that? also any other pros and cons for this plan would be appreciated, thanks.

Noob
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Not a big danger in sleeping dehydrated. I'd say there's more danger in running around during the day while dehydrated, than in sleeping in your bed. Moving around, expending energy, these things are more likely to aggravate symptoms of dehydration.

7-10 pounds in a day is a fair amount to cut. For an experienced wrestler, it's definitely possible. I would recommend some caution since it's not something you sound like you have a lot of practice with.

If you're concerned about the cut, I'd recommend cutting the weight over two days. Ideally it would be over several, but if you don't have that kind of time then it's always best to give yourself at least a couple days.

There are some guys on here with solid wrestling experience that can give you more specific advice on the particulars involved. Good luck with your tourney, let us know how you do.

chuteboxechamp
03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
thanks man I actually have 15 pounds to cut and I plan on doing the cut over the course of this whole week mon-thurs, just finished my run today with my new sauna suit and I cut 2 pounds already today, I still have an hour on the bike and a 2 hour class, so I think i should be alright, i will be training hard monday-thursday, then doing a light run and saunaing (sp?) the rest off on friday night. I'll keep you guys updated and hopefully ill have some vids to show also.

ScottS
04-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Considering you didn't mention diet at all while describing your plan for the week all I have to say is....good luck.

You may want to consider that since you're dropping through an entire weight class and you've obviously never cut weight before and you're just some dude, not an elite athlete, that maybe dropping 15lbs over six days isn't exactly the best idea in the world.

chuteboxechamp
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Considering you didn't mention diet at all while describing your plan for the week all I have to say is....good luck.

You may want to consider that since you're dropping through an entire weight class and you've obviously never cut weight before and you're just some dude, not an elite athlete, that maybe dropping 15lbs over six days isn't exactly the best idea in the world.

whoa nelly, dont worry bro im not that dumb, my diet is oatmeal for breakfast, spinach salad with mandarin oranges and almonds for lunch, then either some fish and a little brown rice, or chicken noodle soup before class. so any pointers or just criticism?

ScottS
04-02-2008, 04:00 AM
The best pointer I can give you is to not drop 15lbs in six days.

chuteboxechamp
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The best pointer I can give you is to not drop 15lbs in six days.

thanks for the advice.......... anyways im down to 179 now and feeling good, feeling pretty confident I'm only gonna have to sauna off around 5 pounds

mmasince91
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
When I cut that much weight I always wake up with a headache. I don't think there is much danger unless you are dehydrated to the point you stop sweating.

booska21
04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
You have to understand that when a figher cuts around 10 pounds the night before a weigh in thats because the weigh in is the day before the fight. You are better off going up a weight class then trying to cut seven pounds the night before you have to fight. even if you make weight there is no way to get your strengh up quik enough to compete at a high level. My advice would be to cut that weight a few days before the event and then maintain so you only have to lose about 3 pounds overnight.

Noob
04-03-2008, 09:34 PM
When I cut that much weight I always wake up with a headache. I don't think there is much danger unless you are dehydrated to the point you stop sweating.

Agreed. If you stop sweating, game over. That is your body's way of telling you to stop.

chuteboxechamp
04-04-2008, 01:02 AM
thanks for the advice guys, im at about 177 now, i plan on waking up at 10(hopefully down closer to 175) and going on the elliptical for about an hour or so in my sauna suit and multiple sweaters, then ill have a bowl of tomato soup and go to work. Im off work at 6 pm and i plan on having a very light salad for dinner, then its off to the sauna for the last 5 or so pounds, then straight to bed. how long do you guys think it will take to lose 5 pounds in the sauna?........ i cant wait to eat some chicken wings and have a beer or two after the tournament

win or lose this just a beginner tournament and at this point in my fighting career its all just a learning experiance so well see how it goes, and ill be sure to tell you guys my results!

Tick
04-04-2008, 06:59 AM
good luck with everything

chuteboxechamp
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
just got back from the sauna i am weighing in at 169.8 right now, and considering how much i have dropped this week I am actually feeling pretty good. I just went to the drugstore and picked up a bottle of pedialyte, so I can drink it tomorrow after i weigh in it is supposed to help restore electrolyte's to your body. I only had to drop 5 pounds in the sauna and it went alright, it was quite an experiance I will tell you that much, took me alittle over an hour, I have a new found respect for fighters who cut in the sauna before fights its harder than you may think.

chuteboxechamp
04-07-2008, 12:52 AM
so i made weight on the morning of the tournament 168, i felt good no headache but my muscles felt weak, i weighed in at 9:00 and didn't fight until around 12:00-12:30 so i had time to rehydrate and eat a little bit, gi was first, i won my first gi match on points, my opponent attempted a takedown we both ended up going down and i ended up on top I spent the whole fight in his guard or half guard attempting to pass, he locked on a decent triangle at one point but i fought through and survived with about 13 seconds left i was able to get the pass and win on the 2 points from the pass.

In my second gi match I fought a guy who had hurt a good friend of mine in a tourney last november so I wanted revenge, he has a high school and college wrestling background and is a tough guy, he ended up beating me on points from 2 takedowns, I was really pushing the pace hard on him but his standup was just too good for me, so that was it for me in the gi devision. 1-1

next came no-gi which i feel is my strong point also no-gi was a double elimination tourny which i thought was sweet.

In my first match i got the takedown and ended up in my opponents half guard, he was able to sweep me from there, and i was able to continue the sweep in my favour eventually ending up in his guard, but i ended up in perfect triangle position as he had control of my arm and pushed it through and cranked on a slick triangle armbar. i was feeling pretty down at this point being 1-2 after working so hard to make 170, i was considering just forfiting my next match thinking maybe i didn't have it in me or i was in the wrong sport, i thought fuck that and knew i had to keep at it and keep trying, so i continued on.

My next match i faced a wrestler who came at me extremely hard, he slammed me in some kinda headlock hip toss kinda throw, slamming me on my head and ending up in side control with a vicious headlock crushing my head, I was able to get back to my feet but he still had the headlock and slammed me on my head again, this time i saw some stars and heard my teeth clink together. i was able to hook his legs from behind and get out of his headlock and back to my feet, i ended up taking him down three times and mounting him twice to win on points.

My next match I fought the same guy I had beaten in my first gi match, this time around I took him down twice mounted him twice, and passed his guard once to win on points.

Next fight the guy shoot in for a single I used my sprawl then single leg escape to take my opponents back he turtled up and I worked to get my hooks, eventually securing a body triangle and RNCing my opponent out, in about 1 or 2 minutes.

Next I fought some jacked looking guy who was very strong i was able to take him down pretty much at will i mounted him a couple times, and passed his guard a few times, there were a bunch of good scrambles also, and I almost got caught in a very close kimura from in his guard. after this fight I had a bunch of people come up to me telling me it was an awesome fight, which felt pretty good.

Immediately after my last fight I was called for my next fight which the winner would have gone on to fight for 3rd place I was exhausted from my last match but just tried to do my best, i got double underhooks on him then a trip teakedown ending up in his guard, started to work on passing his guard, but he was able to lock up a tight triangle and submit me.

I felt alright after, felt that 5-3 was a decent record for the day it kinda sucked I didn't get a medal though considering my teammates with records of 3-5, 3-1, 3-0 all got medals, but oh well there's always next time, next tourny may 25th for the bravado no-gi classic. only 6 weeks to get ready.

sorry for the long post, and thanks for the tips.

EDIT: i forgot my buddy got my last 3 fights recorded so when he gets them to me im gonna see about getting them up on here