PDA

View Full Version : Started Training

deeznizzies
04-17-2008, 06:38 AM
i've recently (about 3 weeks now) been going to a muay thai/mma gym here in korea...

my instructor is a thai boxing champion here in korea and just beats the shit outta me at least 3 times a week. what's scarier is i think his ground game is even better than his standup.

its a lot of fun but pretty discouraging because everyone i spar with (we go pretty hard too.. no ko's but i've been bleeding from my nose and lip a couple times pretty good)...is so much better than me.

what i'm getting at is this... anyone run into the problem that everyone they roll/spar with is just so much better it kinda kills the fun?

i know sparring with guys better than me will only make me stronger/better but damn!! i'm tired of getting my ass kicked...

ps.. i've also been getting this crazy pain in my right bicep.. like i've been throwing a baseball all day.. anyone else ever experience that? what is that shit? its driving me crazy and i feel like i have no strength in my right arm.

Quintessential Studmuffin
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I know what it feels like getting overwhelmed by those with higher skill levels. When I do BJJ if theres ever just open mat time to roll with anyone I almost always try and roll with the best guys there(despite my lack of experience). I usually get manhandled but its nice to see how long I can last,or if I can put them in some bad positions.

As for your right bicep,no idea.

Warchief
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
ps.. i've also been getting this crazy pain in my right bicep.. like i've been throwing a baseball all day.. anyone else ever experience that? what is that shit? its driving me crazy and i feel like i have no strength in my right arm.

I bet you suffering from muscle pain or muscle fatique, that happen to me before esp when i was start trainning...all you have to do is buy some Alaxan tablets and pain killer ointment (Omega Pain Killer), you live in Korea so i bet they have that kind of ointment.

ChuckBooty
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
If you've been training for three weeks there is NO REASON that you should be sparring yet. At this stage of the game you need to be working on your footwork and drilling your combinations on the bag. This guy is fucking you up because you're an American GI....plain and simple. Find another gym.

matto
04-19-2008, 02:57 AM
i always feel like im in it when we are striking. but when grappling with some very advanced people, it always seems like it is hopeless. striking to me is different in grappling in that sence. the more skilled grappler usually wins, but in striking, there are other variable besides technique. like speed, the power behind your strikes, your ability to take a punch. muy thai is very brutal, i always get injuries of all sorts from it, but it will get better over time. it is something that you will have to deal with if you want to train.

TN94z
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I used to love rolling with the more experienced guys. That would show you things that the novice could never show. Why would I want to roll with a guy that only knows how to do an arm bar and rnc? The guy I always rolled with was a purple belt. But I can tell you one thing...after rolling with the purple belt every time, no one else in the gym could get me in a triangle! He put me in a triangle so many times that after about 2 weeks, I could see the setup coming long before I was in trouble.

Steve88
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
i can't join jj currently where i live but very soon ill be in ontario or alberta where i can join a decently good bjj team so for now i roll with my friends and people i know who are in good shape and know a good bit about wrestling / jj to up my game..

when u are 5'10 174 pounds and out of shape and u fight guys who have like 50-60 pounds of solid muscle on you and u don't get mauled u know u have some decent technique.

rino
07-11-2008, 06:29 AM
well thats what i call the wrong way of doing things instead teach you and gime you confidence in your gave , they beat you up, i saw it many times in different gym , its a shame and don't let no one tell you you going to get better from getting your ass kicked , its not going to happen , not here , to learn to fight you need to be relaxed and you cant learn to be relax ( yea you need to learn it ) by being beaten all the time . you have few choices : change gym or when you sparing make sure your sparing partner know that you don't want to bled . find a good sparing partner or trainer ,you there to have fun and learn , make sure you do that