PDA

View Full Version : Another first day of BJJ class thread

error2k5
04-25-2008, 11:32 PM
My God man, what can I say. I got WORKED.

I came in primarily as a wrestler thinking that would get me far but boy was I wrong. The first exercise was working on getting out of mount. Whenever I mounted someone it took them a long time to get me switched. The problem was...whenever I was mounted there was nothing I could do but struggle. There were a couple new guys there with me and I was able to switch them over while mounted fairly easily. The guys with experience on the other hand were a different story.

One guy I struggled the entire time trying to get him off. He was giving me tips and helping out and I switched him a couple times with his help. He just kept moving when i moved but it's like he wouldn't move with me. If I attempted to wriggle around to much he would just let me which would get me set into a rear naked choke.

I got put into an armbar a couple times...a kimura a couple times...a triangle once...and a rear naked choke more times than i can count. Strangely I loved every minute of it. I'm exhausted. Learned a lot on my first day. Wish I could piece everything that happened clearer than this but it's to much to type at this time and i'm dead tired.

WinnipegRush
04-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah man that sounds awesome. I was thinking about doing BJJ this summer but i dunno what my work schedule is going to be.

NixHex
04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Sounds like the typical first day of BJJ to me lol. My teacher told me right when I came in the door, "You're going to be getting mounted a lot, so we might as well work on escaping the mount before we even get started."

Did they teach you how to shrimp? Or how to let them take your leg when preventing your buck out of mount?

Misfits138
04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Ask one of them to show you the "elbow escape" and the "oopah escape". Those should get you far when you learn how to time them correctly. Congrats on your first day!

AngryJohnny
04-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Just started a couple weeks ago myself - I share your pain. :D I've had four classes so far, the last two I didn't feel quite as worn out and had an easier time concentrating. Still getting my ass kicked of course. No weight issues but Christ am I out of shape.
I don't have much of a background in anything other than about 15 months of Judo at a very young age. Anyway I love it, just wish I didn't wait until I was 30 to leave the beer at the store a little more often and get off my ass...better late than never!

blackfox
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
lol good to hear it man, sounds like you had a blast. wrestlers are fun to roll with espically the cocky ones :) slapping arm-bars on them is always a good time. Hope you do well and excel in it.

IGot started again today. For the second time (stupidfuckingknee) Go back to my old gym to find a Gracie blackbelt instructing the class. What a suprise that was. I learned more form him in a hour than I had previously in a month, and hes a stand up fuckin guy not cocky or big headed very down to earth and wise. I can't wait to go back tommrrow.

Clark80
10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
First day at grappling (BJJ) was my fave session just because I was tapped more times I can remember. No looking back, will always train until my body says otherwise.

Repenter
10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
christ this is old, but i'll pretend it was posted today

the first day of bjj is very humbling, but stick with it. your wrestling will pay heavy dividends, trust me. dropping that shoulder into folks makes them realize that you ain't the regular pajama grappler

Bubbles
01-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Man I had my first day today.
I was getting submitted left and right but I am really enjoying it got lots to learn

MirJitsu
04-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Had my first real day of BJJ today. I've been doing Muay Thai for awhile, but had yet to really grapple.

Learned some basics to start out with. A guard pass, proper side control, and how to escape low mount. When it came time to roll, they wiped the mat with me (understandably), neck is still sore from a guillotine. Had a lot of fun though. Completely exhausted and sore. Doing three days a week of gi jits, and two days of no gi. Pretty humbling experience.

Also, I'll never ever say someone tapped too fast again.