PDA

View Full Version : Typical MMA training Routine/Diet?

Afro
05-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Anyone have a clue, know of a site, or anything of what a typical MMA fighter would do for his workout routine, and what kind of foods he would eat during training for a fight?

Paytheplayer
05-19-2008, 06:55 PM
C'mon people Im wondering the same thing. Help out.

Ifightforaliving
05-20-2008, 12:51 AM
I train 6 days a week. Your body needs a day at least to rest. I do 5 miles running and 15 miles biking 5 days a week I swim 100 laps Mon,Wed,Fri. I get up and start my day with cardio at 5 am by 8 I am at the gym for a 1hr extreme nonstop powerlifting. then 35 minutes of sledgehammer to tire. I go home and rest for 4 hrs then at 4-5 I start BJJ,Boxing,and that stuff. I then on sat my last day I do a 5 mile or a 5 mile run with a backpack with 45 lbs added. I run hills of loose dirt 3 days a week. I focus on my diet 7 days a week no sugar no salt good carbs and supplements.I do yoga and some gymnastics for balance 3 days a week. On sundays I rest and try to do as little as possible. I try to stay off my feet all together.
as far as eating I do high carb and high protein
fish,chicken,steak,emu,nuts and fruit as snacks.
brocolli,sweet potatoes,greens,spinach,
watermelon,cucumber,tomatoes,canteloupe,strawberri es,bluberries,pomegranites,anything that is fresh and no canned stuff all my fruits and veggies are fresh and I either eat them raw or steam them.I add no salts or sugars. I drink water or fresh juice I have a Juiceman juicer they are the shit.I eat only whole wheat whole grain bread. If you can't see the grains it I don't eat it. Thats kind of a quick rundown of what I do I do alot of other things but I keep that secret.
You need to supplement for sure I use about 6 different supplements and a shitload of vitamins. You need these because when you work out you suck all these out and need to put them in.

If I eat steak I eat bison instead of cow it is better for you.

matto
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
have you had any professional mma fights yeat, or do you compete in some other combat sport?

Ubermensch
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
There are different routines for different body types but the one thing is for sure you should split your days in to three morning Cardio, eat sleep then Strength and conditioning eat sleep eat Your martial Art or Arts have the rest of the day for your self after that. If done correctly you will have worked out a little longer than your average work day something like 9hrs. Diet depends on needs lean proteins are always good Chicken Fish yutta yutta Greens, Oatmeal does wonders. To be honest there is just way too much just to post here plus you need to shock your system and switch it up after about three weeks anyway.

jon70
10-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Foods? Anything from the Earth. No processed bull shat!
To get some ideas go to GarageStrength.com (http://www.garagestrength.com) and TRUE ATHLETE NUTRITION (http://www.athletenutrition.blogspot.com) or www.trueathletenutrition.usana.com

Good luck

The MMADoctor
10-30-2008, 05:12 AM
In MMA, strength training and nutrition are still stuck in the stone ages. When MMAers learn the value of a proper strength training routine and diet, the sport’s talent level will explode. Most MMAers’ strength training routine makes no correlation to what strength qualities are important in the ring. On top of that, a healthy diet is almost nonexistent, as is proper supplementation. It’s amazing the lack of knowledge about diet and training exists in MMA.

Training and dieting for MMA are extremely tricky. Other than amateur bodybuilding, it’s probably the most difficult to master with respect to sports. You have to worry about adding too much weight, if your new muscle will slow you down, if your new muscle will cause you to fatigue faster, should you train for muscular endurance, hypertrophy, or power, what diet is best, what supplements will make you gain water weight, which ones are best for endurance sports, will increasing your carbs cause too much water retention, are you going to overtrain, is your diet causing unneeded inflammation, how should I train to prevent injuries, etc.. For MMA, there are a million of things to contemplate. A routine out of Muscle and Fitness will probably do you more harm than good.

What strength qualities do you think are important to MMA? I believe the most important two are power and muscular endurance. A Westside template works best, focusing on those two qualities. If you’re not training for both of those, then you are wasting your time. Diet and supplementation is a lengthy conversation that I don’t have time to get into right now.. The only thing I’d like to mention is that I firmly believe that a proper diet and supplement regimen can drastically reduce the amount of injuries and symptoms of overtraining in the sport. Think about what stops inflammation. That’s the key!

BTW, I’m a clinical pharmacist that specializes in nutrition, herbals, and dietary supplements. I’ve also been strength training for the last 10 years. I’ve read books by Poliquin, Thibaudeau, Siff, Z, Louie Simmons, etc. I’ve also dabbled in training athletes when I find the time. I just thought you should know my background so you don’t think I’m a complete idiot.