PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State Wrestling

Spain215
05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Arizona State the home of college wrestling for MMA fighters such as Dan Severn, Dan Henderson, and UFC newcomer Cain Velasquez has dropped college wrestling. This is one of the many college programs to drop wrestling recently including Oregon, Easter Illinios home of Matt Hughes, and Fresno State just to name a few. Something needs to be done about colleges dropping wrestling as a sport. I was actually considering going to Arizona State but now will never have the chance.

Palma
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
It's sad that Wrestling isn't considered a sport to support as compared to Women's Golf or Ultimate Frisbe... All state colleges are getting hit hard and eventhough Wrestling doesn't require much money compared to almost every other college sport it seems like every college is cutting their programs.

It's just no a popular sport besides the mid-west and doesn't garner the attention it needs from fans to keep it prevelent enough to keep around.

I wish I knew what could be done to stop this shit, but I'm at a loss.

It's because of this shit that Wrestlers should have a chip on their shoulders... it's easily the hardest sport in the world and requires tons of dedication with minimal reward... it's why I have developed a loathing for Basketball. Basket ball directly competes for money and rescources with wrestling since they take place at the same time, and you know that no matter how shitty a basketball program they will still cut wrestling if it is between the two. Fuck Basketball... it's a pussy-ass sport.

Spain215
05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
that is exactly what i think. you will find no other sport where there are athletes as dedicated as wrestlers. they live, breath, and die for wrestling. After dedicating your life for wrestling especially in college there is no reward for it. most people dont even no you even if your a national champion. you dont get drafted and gets millions and millions of dollars. you just have pride and have recieved the greatest life lessons anyone can learn. there is no harder worker than a wrestler. thank god for mma because now at least some wrestlers can continue to compete and do what they love to do. Oregon dropped wrestling for baseball because there new athletic director didnt like wrestling and is a baseball fan. nothing against baseball but that pisses me off. I cannot watch a basketball game ever because they get barely shouved, fall down, then stay down and cry about it. and those bitches cry when they get poked in the eye or twist an ankle.

Fuck Basketball

Ubermensch
05-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Fuck that is lame a lot of my friends are form there?? It has a rich tradition too. My friend Suse and Jeff use to help coach over there. What a fuckin Bummer. Mesa High and Corona (my Alum) have really good wrestling teams it is a shame that some of thoese guys will not be able to stay in the valley and still compete at a higher level.

Spain215
05-15-2008, 12:52 AM
The whole Arizona State cutting its wrestling program was really bothering me but i got over it. Then after reading what and ASU administrator had to say made me ever more pissed off. Heres what she said, its a pretty long read but it basically says that they need to make some cuts for money so they cut wrestling, mens tennis (who was rated 23rd in the nation), and mens swimming. Cutting these 3 programs saved them around 1.1 million of there $42 million bugdet. This is disgusting. She gave no good information and im pretty sure they just had her release this because she just doesnt give a shit about wrestling.

InterMat: Wrestling from Every Angle (http://www.intermatwrestle.com/news/newsdisplay.aspx?ID=7270)

BigBanda
05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Such bull shit and not sure why wrestling continues to struggle as a sport. I went through it myself when I started wrestling back in my young teen years. If you wanted to wrestle you had to pay out of your own pocket for it and it was considered a "club" outside of school hours. Finally the year I graduated it got sanctioned and they started treating wrestling properly among the other sports like Football, Basketball, etc.

I thought it would just continue to take off from there but it is apparent that wrestling is still struggling and Arizona State dropping wrestling is a perfect example.

mmasince91
05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
This is just bullshit!!! Wrestling is huge in Arizona!

mcdev88
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
yeah really blows, i live 10 miles from eastern illinois university and was very mad when the wrestling program was cut, alot of the aspiring fighters and wrestlers used to go train there but not anymore. :(

Nebraska
01-22-2009, 01:02 AM
That sucks bigtime! ASU is a great wrestling program.

Ubermensch
01-22-2009, 04:39 AM
It has already been reinstated look at the date this was posted.

Nebraska
01-22-2009, 05:33 AM
It has already been reinstated look at the date this was posted.

Yeah, I saw that spam post after I submitted my post. Next time I'll do the research. Have mercy, oh "superhuman" one. :grinsmile2: