PDA

View Full Version : Kumite Klassic

Kimuras"R"Us
05-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I figured I'd give you an update as to how shit was going. I competed in the Kumite in Pittsburgh this morning at white belt super heavy weight. I went 2 - 0 and took first.

Anyone else compete in this tournament or compete lately?

m_babyface_g
07-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Nice dude that's rad, I haven't competed in anything since high school. That's good for you though, I'm kind of envious, I'd like to wrestle again, or maybe try judo.

Palma
07-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I figured I'd give you an update as to how shit was going. I competed in the Kumite in Pittsburgh this morning at white belt super heavy weight. I went 2 - 0 and took first.

Good job man, how heavy are you?

I competed last May. I won my first and lost my second to some Judo guy who got me down and held side control on me.

I am competing this Sunday in a no-gi tourny, but I am not taking it very seriously so I will see how I do.

Ifightforaliving
07-09-2008, 06:53 AM
good luck Palma

Palma
07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
good luck Palma

Thanks man, I have no idea where my head or my weight will be at... I'm taking off tommorow and Thurday night to go back packing. I think my weight will be down but I might be kind of mellow, lol.

Ifightforaliving
07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
yo man make sure you let us know how you do.

Palma
07-12-2008, 07:37 AM
yo man make sure you let us know how you do.

lol, I will as long as I don't get subbed in the first minute of my first fight. I am not expecting too much from this other then a learning expeirence. I have only trained no-gi 3 times this year and one of then was this week. I have a private lesson with a black belt friend of mine to go over kneebars and kneebar escapes. He gave me a video to watch before hand. Have you ever heard of Stephin Kedtling? I never had but his instruction is very good despite a very poor production on the video.

Anyways, I'm kind of worried because when I trained no-gi last Monday I gave up my back in every sparring session. I only got subbed once and I rolled out of one into an ankle lock, but I can't remember how I gave it up each time. I was pretty good about keeping the hooks out and avoided getting scored on, but I don't know what I was doing wrong.

One cool thing was Jake Shield's brother was my training partner so I learned allot about the techniques we went over (Guillatine and Guillatine escapes). That dude is fucking rediculously good.

atj-lucko
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Good for you, pull off any good subs?

Kimuras"R"Us
07-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone.

I weighed in at 214 for this one. I don't even know how I got that low it was pretty much an accident.

I subbed the first guy with a kimura, and won the second fight on points.

Sorry this was so delayed in responding I was at the beach all week.

Good luck Palma, let us know how it goes.

Palma
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I won gold. I had two fights. I won my first 8 to 0. I had two takedowns and I passed his guard twice. In the finals I was up 8 to 0 after he went for a flying arm-bar right off the bat I passed his guard twice and then got mount and then finished him with a arm-triangle. My friend took a vid of half of the second fight so I will post it in a few days when he gets it to me. All in all it was a cool experience... Robert Drysdale was there and reffed most of the fights. Both of my arms are totally racked though as I got in deep arm-bars in both fight. Luckily I had retard strength to get out of them and win the fights.

Ifightforaliving
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
hell yeah bro thats awesome.

strife
07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
HELL YES GUYS....always good to hear of success stories. I'm hoping to compete in the Fall right before I'm awarded my blue belt. Post vids asap Palma.

Kimuras"R"Us
07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Congrats Palma that's awesome.

When he tried the flying armbar off the bat you had to be like "What the hell?" haha

Palma
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Congrats Palma that's awesome.

When he tried the flying armbar off the bat you had to be like "What the hell?" haha

Lol, I knew what he was doing and I knew he was going to pull guard because he only played guard in his first fight and he saw me take down my first guy three times and he also saw me get arm-barred to shit. He really threw a good flying armbar. He had me; popped his hips and popped my elbow, but I didn't tap. I just took it and got out and then handled him pretty well after that.

I'm so jacked today though... both of my elbows are so swollen that I can't fully extend either arm. I'm lucky I have flexible elbows to begin with or I'd have two broker arms. They're going to be really flexible in about a month, lol.

Now I'm just dealing with some total bullshit. Me and some other fighters carpooled together and I left my truck in front of our dojo and they have a farmer's markert in the parking lot every sunday. Well, the asshole who runs the farmer's market had my truck towed. I'm so pissed. Not only was I parked in front of our dojo but there are also signs clearly posted saying where you cannot park for the farmer's market. I was clearly 50 feet away from them.

Ifightforaliving
07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
what an ass clown. But thats awesome as fuck that you won.

Palma
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
what an ass clown. But thats awesome as fuck that you won.

Thanks man. The whole truck thing just kind of tarnished the experince a little bit. I'm so pissed. I can't wait to chew him out.

Palma
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/palmawrestler/Aaron2.jpg

so about the vid: This was half way through the finals match and my buddy who filmed it was filming another friend on the other mat and had to get up and adjust himself to film me so excuse the bad camera work for a second. Both my arms are totally fucked ( you can see how bad my right is when escape the triangle; just laying limp). So if anything else, I am really happy with my performance despite two bad arms.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i159.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/palmawrestler/MOV03584-1.flv">

Here is a direct link since it came out so choppy on here:

MOV03584-1.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/palmawrestler/?action=view&current=MOV03584-1.flv)

Ifightforaliving
07-15-2008, 02:45 AM
hey Palma have you ever postured up and hit or had to stop yourself from hitting someone while grappling? I have done it numerous times. It is just a reaction sometimes. Especially when you are getting worked or in a sub and in pain.Just sort of a heat of the moment thing.

And nice match by the way that is awesome. I would really like to compete,but there are only 1-2 BJJ tourneys here a year and they are usually in tulsa. I am thinking of moving to Tulsa to train with Tulsa Top Team,or Mikey Burnetts new Gym. I can't wait until I am healed up.

I will rep when I can must spread it 1st.

Kimuras"R"Us
07-15-2008, 03:33 AM
I already rep'd you Palma but congrats again that match was legitimately a pleasure to watch.