PDA

View Full Version : Liddell vs Hughes?

sempaiman
05-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Any chance that there might be a Liddell vs Hughes match? Matt fights at 180 and Chuck at 205, somewhere about 190 might be feasable. I think this would be a real big draw and a very exciting match. Any hope:rolleyes: ????

Alvin
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Never say never, but.........never!

Light-heavyweight vs welterweight at middleweight? There's nothing in this fight to gain.

Chuck is running through the LHW division at ease, what do you think will happen to a weterweight?

Plus, with GSP, Penn, Parisyan & Sanchez, I think there's more than enough competition in the UFC welterweight division for Hughes anyways.

Submission Fighter
05-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Lidell is gonna Babalu, if he wins (which I think might not seeing the Babalu has progressed) he will fight Tito or possibally Frank Shamrock if he signs a contract, which I think he will cuz I seen him and Dana talking backstage during a mma show I went a month ago.

Alvin
05-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Isn't Frank Shamrock a (light) middleweight?

I have to admit I'm a big Chuck fan, but I agree that Babalu has an excellent chance of beating him, particularly with his bjj.

Tito at the moment doesn't do anything for me as a contender. I know he was injured before his Griffin fight (boo hoo) but it looks like the confidence he had during his title reign has long gone.

djimprint
05-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I think Chuck will beat Babalu. After that... who knows.

It would be interesting if Brandon Vera decides to drop to LHW. I think his next few fights will determine whether or not this kid is the real deal.

There's always the talk of Rampage too. I would love to see Chuck take on Rampage. The money in that would be great for UFC, especially with the amount of shit-talking that Rampage does.

Chuck also talks about taking on Wanderlei Silva which I think would be amazing.

The LHW division right now needs to be deeper. Aside from Chuck and Babalu, who is there that is a legitimate contender? Tito is old news, Forrest is still too green (as well as any of the other TUF guys for that matter), the winner of the Sakara/Lister fight could determine another contender but that still remains to be seen.

Matt has far too much on his plate right now to worry about jumping up another weight class or two. GSP, Penn, etc. will keep him busy for the next year or so.

I agree that the UFC has nothing to gain with Hughes/Liddel.

killerinstinct
05-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Rampage signed with the WFA.There's a great interview at mmaweekly in which he says that the UFC never made any real attempts to sign him.He also said that Dana and Chuck are boys and that Dana wouldn't want to see his boy get beat up.I don't know how much truth there is to that ,but who knows.I do think however that Chuck would fuck Rampage up in a rematch.And Babalu beating chuck is fucking joke.yeah his jui jitsu is good ,but there s no fucking chance in hell he's going to get chuck to the ground.Randy Couture barely got chuck to the ground in there last fight. Even if he gets chuck to ground he's not going to be able to keep him there. Chuck will knock his ass out again.The last time they fought Chuck delivered one of the most brutal head kicks I've ever witnessed.It was sickening.It may not be as brutal of a KO as last time ,but it'll be pretty brutal.and to answer the first guys question.the answer is never.Chuck has already said in previous interviews that he would never drop down a weight class.He also said that there's guys he fight at the HW division.

killerinstinct
05-21-2006, 10:14 PM
One more thing as far as the Silva/chuck fight goes there's been talk of this for a long while now and the sad thing is.it'll probably only be talk.

killerinstinct
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Matt fights at 170 dumbass!!!!!

NinjaShogunRua
05-21-2006, 10:37 PM
No chance this match-up will ever happen IMO. There are 2 weight classes between them. Hughes walks around at about 190 but I don't see Chuck dropping that much for a catch weight fight.

Matt Boone
05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Chuck and Hughes are actually good friends if I ain't mistaken, so even in the wild world of one dropping, one going up, for a pointless fight - they wouldn't do it because of friendship anwyay.

To dude who said Babalu beating Chuck is a joke, I dunno bro. I got Chuck winning also, probably by knockout again too, but do NOT underestimate Babalu in this fight. He has awesome wrestling, awesome submissions, and awesome stand up. Only thing is, Chuck's wrestling and striking is better, submissions aren't, but that should be irrelevant, at least on paper when comparing the two in the wrestling/striking dep't, which determines whether or not they hit the floor for Babalu's subs to come into play. But there's always the X-factor in a fight, and with Babalu being so well rounded and good in every area, all it takes is one mistake from Chuck and BLAMO we got a stuttering Brazilian as our champion.

And yes Frank Shamrock is a Middleweight.

NinjaShogunRua
05-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I think Chuck will win as well, but Babalu definitely has a chance. Don't underestimate Babalu. The guy hasnt had a loss since Chuck beat him the 1st time, and has beaten some solid fighters and top names like Jeremy Horn, Trevor Prangley, Shogun Rua(all three in the same night), Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen and Pele since then. I just hope it's a good fight and lasts longer than the 1st fight.

Matt Boone
05-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah on paper, Babalu's win streak is fucking ridiculous. Look at all those wins, and shit figure out that he beat Shogun, Horn, and Prangley in the SAME night (watch that tourney too, he was a god damn warrior that night) you simply can't underestimate him against Liddell.

NinjaShogunRua
05-21-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm torn in this fight because I like both guys. I mean one guy has the coolest and most fun nickname to say out loud "Babaluuuuuuuuu!" ,and the other guy has KO'd the best of the best at LHW in the UFC and has a dated mohawk. All in all this should be a very fun fight to watch. I just can't see Babalu winning unless he gets some takedowns on Chuck, which has been pretty much impossible of late. It sucks we gotta wait 2 months for this fight, but it will be well worth the wait.

killerinstinct
05-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey Matt don't get me wrong.i like babalu.he's a great fighter..just nowhere neer as good as chuck.I actually want him to win I hate Chuck.He KOed my hero Randy Couture twice ,but both you and I know he's not going to come close to winning.Although if mma has taught of anything lately it's to expect the unexpected.I mean there's been a lot of surprizes in mma lately,penn and royce coming back,Tito and Shamrock being the coaches for tuf ,mir's loss to cruz,AA getting KOed by Sylvia among others..so i wouldn't count babalu completely out ,but he has about a snowballs chance in hell of winning this fight.

Matt Boone
05-22-2006, 12:44 AM
We both don't know that lol. He's got much more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Is Liddell the favorite? Sure, he KO'd the dude before and is on top of the world right now, of course he's the favorite. But Babalu is a very worthly challenger, and I think you've exposed yourself as only knowing what goes on in UFC with your last couple of posts lol.

Alvin
05-22-2006, 12:48 AM
I know I'm gonna get shot to pieces here, but why all the fuss over Chucks wins over Couture?

Yes, Ok the first win was an awesome performance, but even in that it was Coutures error that gave him his opening. Couture is/was an excellent fighter, but after that loss he was visably going through the motions (maybe even after the Ortiz win). You could see age catching up to him in his fights against Van Arsdale & his third fight with Liddel, he was so slow & gassy.

I think Babalu might have Chucks number in their rematch.

Also IMO Vera would make an awesome LHW, but I can't see him as a bona fide HW. Arlovski or Silva would own him.

Oh jees, now to wait for the Couture brigade...!

Matt Boone
05-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, you done went and shot yourself in the foot with those comments. Couture may have looked "slow" or "going through the motions" with Van Arsdale, but that's just because he was fighting another world class wrestler like himself.

As far as Chuck's wins over him, I think it's very unfair to take the credit away from him. He knocked him out once, he knocked him out twice. There's really nothing left to be said, Chuck said everything that needs to be said with his right hand. Couture simply wasn't able to fight his fight, because Chuck wouldn't let him. Simple as that.

Vera is definitely making a mistake trying to stay at Heavyweight I think. Someone like Sylvia or Arlovski is WAY too big for him to try and mess with. At LHW however, that could be interesting. But I will say this, unlike a lot of people (or so it seems) I am NOT yet on the Vera bandwagon. I still don't understand what all the fuss is about over this guy. We'll see though I guess.

Alvin
05-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Basing my opinion purely on what I saw of him in the Scherner & Eilers fights.

Don't get me wrong I'm not taking anything away from Chucks KO's over Couture & Couture WAS a legend in the game, but he was still in the twilight of his career when they fought & a lot of people now think Chuck's unbeatable because of these fights.

Van Arsdale again may have BEEN a world class wrestler when Couture beat him, but Babalu & Lindland have taken him out much quicker since plus he's what 50 now!?

Dear God, what was I thinking starting this!!!!

killerinstinct
05-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Ninja I can't agree with you on the nick name thing..Babalu is alright ,but how can you not love the nickname of Keith Jardine or Sam Hoger?"The Dean of Mean Keith Jardine" "The Alaskan Assassin Sam Hoger"

NinjaShogunRua
05-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Those nicknames are cool and all, but Babaluuuuuuuu just rolls off the tongue much smoother lol. "The Alaskan Assassin" isn't a very original nickname either, it was originally given to Former Duke SG Trajan Langdon back in the early 90s. Different sport, but still used WAY before Hoger was even thought about.

Matt Boone
05-22-2006, 02:08 AM
LOL @ arguing the "originality" of the Alaskan Assassin nickname as compared to Babalu. Someone doesn't know their American TV history very well!

NinjaShogunRua
05-22-2006, 02:19 AM
I know Babalu is a bite off of I Love Lucy's Desi Arnez. It's just not such a blatant rip-off as the "Alaskan Assassin" nickname. There aren't a whole lot of original nickname's nowadays anyway.

Matt Boone
05-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I think it's more blatant. I have no idea who the Alaskan Assassin guy you said is, but I'm sure everyone has heard of I Love Lucy.

As I said before way back in the day when discussing nicknames, if I ever become a fighter my nickname will be "nickname". Matt "NICKNAME" Booooone! Let's see Bruce or Michael Buffer say that one with a straight face.

NinjaShogunRua
05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
I'm just saying that if Hoger is from Alaska he definitely knows who Langdon is. Langdon is a sports god in Alaska. He was a top 3 pointer shooter in college. So he stole stole that Nickname from someone currently. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. I have already changed my mind. The best nickname is Pedro "The Pedro" Otavio! lol You can't beat that one when it comes to originality.

killerinstinct
05-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Matt "Nickname"Boooone that's funny as hell.That would definatley be a better nickname than babalu or The Alaskan Assassin,or the dean of mean Keith Jardine.I also like the nick name Captain America Randy Couture..Yeah his entrance nick name was the natural ,but Captain America was really cool.

sempaiman
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Matt fights at 170 dumbass!!!!!
Yeah, I got his weight wrong. But don't call me dumb!:p

killerinstinct
05-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Your right Semp maybe I got a little carried away.my apologies.

sempaiman
05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Killer, appology accepted!

guesswho
01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
chuck would ktfo hughs

Jza
01-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Why did you bring back up a thread which was 2 and a half years old?

stpierrecanada
02-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Hughes fights at 170 at WW. Chuck at 205, LHW and could be a heavyweight. No way, thats a joke.