PDA

View Full Version : Fresno State Frist NCAA National title is in Baseball?

Palma
06-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I was listening to Sportscenter, and typical Bristol-fanboy-Sportcenter-newscaster stated that the Fresno State Baseball team was the first program for Fresno State to bring home a Division I title...

Nevermind Stephen Abas won three National Titles in wrestling for Fresno State! Fucking typical Sportscenter not getting their facts straight once again while slapping the face of America's best current competeing olympic freestyle wrestler. What a fucking joke.

azur_dog
06-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Well Im pretty sure they meant the schools first team title in a men's sport. Because when espn was broadcasting it live they said it was the schools second national championship overall (the first was softball in '98).

Palma
06-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Well Im pretty sure they meant the schools first team title in a men's sport. Because when espn was broadcasting it live they said it was the schools second national championship overall (the first was softball in '98).

They didn't say team sport did they? They just don't consider wrestling a notable sport imo.

azur_dog
06-29-2008, 02:57 AM
They didn't say team sport did they? They just don't consider wrestling a notable sport imo.
Well when you win a title in an individual sport, you win the title not the school. While your probably right they dont care to much about wrestling as college sport, I dont think they were wrong for phrasing the way they did.
Afterall Abas won the title not fresno state.

Palma
06-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Well when you win a title in an individual sport, you win the title not the school. While your probably right they dont care to much about wrestling as college sport, I dont think they were wrong for phrasing the way they did.
Afterall Abas won the title not fresno state.

On Sportscenter they clearly said that they were the first Fresno state program to bring home a national title... wrestling is a program and their wrestling program has brought nome national titles.

I see what you are saying, but if they stratigically placed their words to ensure avoiding giving wrestling any credit then that is far worse.

azur_dog
06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
On Sportscenter they clearly said that they were the first Fresno state program to bring home a national title... wrestling is a program and their wrestling program has brought nome national titles.

I see what you are saying, but if they stratigically placed their words to ensure avoiding giving wrestling any credit then that is far worse.

I think you're overthinking it, the jocks behind desks arent much more than mouthpieces for the writers anyway, so they probably fucked up and didnt give credit where credit is due, because they are also disrespecting the softball program who won it all in 98 as well. This happens a lot in sports reporting people often do the bare minimum of research and call it good, because they dont have time or ther're lazy. I know enough sports writers to know thats how things work. So chalk it up to a lazy day in bristol, not a conspiracy to keep a sport down.

Palma
06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I think you're overthinking it, the jocks behind desks arent much more than mouthpieces for the writers anyway, so they probably fucked up and didnt give credit where credit is due, because they are also disrespecting the softball program who won it all in 98 as well. This happens a lot in sports reporting people often do the bare minimum of research and call it good, because they dont have time or ther're lazy. I know enough sports writers to know thats how things work. So chalk it up to a lazy day in bristol, not a conspiracy to keep a sport down.

I am chaulking up to no research... you broght up the wording and was defending their stance. I was just making an argument off that.

And I don't know what sportwriters you know, but I have been a sports writer for almost 10 years now and I have never known any other sportwriter to make up facts in order to make stories more interesting which is what they did in leu of research. As the highest form of sports media coverage Sportscenter has a obligatory duty to get their facts straight before they report them.

My original point of this thread was to point out that they have over looked a fact they didn't report on because of the popularity of the fact. No one gives a shit or followes wrestling even on the highest of levels, but that is no excuse to pretend it does not exist. Especially right before the Olympics.

azur_dog
06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I am chaulking up to no research... you broght up the wording and was defending their stance. I was just making an argument off that.

And I don't know what sportwriters you know, but I have been a sports writer for almost 10 years now and I have never known any other sportwriter to make up facts in order to make stories more interesting which is what they did in leu of research. As the highest form of sports media coverage Sportscenter has a obligatory duty to get their facts straight before they report them.

My original point of this thread was to point out that they have over looked a fact they didn't report on because of the popularity of the fact. No one gives a shit or followes wrestling even on the highest of levels, but that is no excuse to pretend it does not exist. Especially right before the Olympics.

I never said they make up facts I said they sometimes only do a bare minimum of research due to time constraints or laziness. I'm talking about the roughly 10 or so guys Ive known working at regional papers in places Ive lived. I mean no disrespect to you, Im just speaking on what I know.

I get your original point, I wrestled in high school, and have a great respect for the sport. It also saddens me that the sport seems to be dying, I only hope that as mma becomes more popular it will also spark interest in one of the sports fundamental building blocks, but back to my point I was just saying I didnt think they were deliberately overlooking anything they just had a fuck up.

Palma
06-30-2008, 01:09 AM
I never said they make up facts I said they sometimes only do a bare minimum of research due to time constraints or laziness. I'm talking about the roughly 10 or so guys Ive known working at regional papers in places Ive lived. I mean no disrespect to you, Im just speaking on what I know.

I get your original point, I wrestled in high school, and have a great respect for the sport. It also saddens me that the sport seems to be dying, I only hope that as mma becomes more popular it will also spark interest in one of the sports fundamental building blocks, but back to my point I was just saying I didnt think they were deliberately overlooking anything they just had a fuck up.

I agree that it was an innocent mistake, but if Fresno had a National Champ golfer come out of their program you probably would have heard something about it by now.

If they are talking out their ass about "the first National Championship" for Fresno state because they didn't research anything then they are making up facts... even if it is a presumption or and assumption they are still making it up whether they do it intentionally or not.