PDA

View Full Version : gsp and matt hughes on the show

j.farrell
10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
i wasnt really feeling this season.. i am now tho..i guess we just needed to get through the first round of fights..now we are going to see some good match ups imo..i think last nights drama with matt and gsp added to it also..i gotta say tho..gsp and matt have always seemed like they were cool..there is footage on the extras on one of the ufc dvds where they are watching a fight together..and gsp tells hughes he was always one of his idols...so when gsp came in the ring after the penn fight and was like"im not impressed"...i was like damn what a dick..im not saying he should have been impressed..cuz it wasnt really an impressive preformance..but since they were cool i just firgured gsp would say something like that...than i saw the show last night..and i thought gsp was just getting a little revenge maybe..matt hughes attacked gsp at dinner because he knew gsp was avoiding him..and imo gsp seemed a little intimidated...that was pretty tuff when when gsp was like ok ill show you one technique..if you show me one..and matt was like yeah ill show you how to defend the armbar..i was like damn..thats some cold shit..especially in front of all those guys..knowing that gsp is supposed to be there helping them train for a couple weeks still...so i guess when gsp stepped in the cage after the penn fight he was feeling confident..and he knew right at the moment hughes might have been a little vulnerable..so he gave him a taste of his own medicine..

Kewl144
10-13-2006, 11:29 AM
keep in mind that the show was filmed a few months before GSP and Hughes were suppose to fight and GSP ended up injurying himself. I dont blame him for not wanting to be in the gym when Hughes was there and for not really wanting to say too much to Matt. Of course who knows how the show was edited.

j.farrell
10-13-2006, 11:38 AM
keep in mind that the show was filmed a few months before GSP and Hughes were suppose to fight and GSP ended up injurying himself. I dont blame him for not wanting to be in the gym when Hughes was there and for not really wanting to say too much to Matt. Of course who knows how the show was edited.
i agree im not syaing gsp should have wanted to be around him..im saying i could see that it maybe caught hughes off guard the way he was acting..because usually they are all buddy buddy..and its usually gsp kinda sucking up to hughes..i think matt was just trying to get in gsp's head..

Kewl144
10-13-2006, 11:59 AM
i agree im not syaing gsp should have wanted to be around him..im saying i could see that it maybe caught hughes off guard the way he was acting..because usually they are all buddy buddy..and its usually gsp kinda sucking up to hughes..i think matt was just trying to get in gsp's head..

I think Matt was just being Matt. That's just the way his personality is. I dont think he's necessarily a dick...just that he comes off kind of arrogant and cocking because he doesnt pull his punches and says whats on his mind.

strife
10-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I've never one to call someone out like this, but damn farrell, punctuation is your friend :grinsmile26:

j.farrell
10-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I've never one to call someone out like this, but damn farrell, punctuation is your friend :grinsmile26:
Im not a fan of it. But i'll try if it makes you feel better. You should read what you write before you correct someone else though. Doesn't really make sense. lol

strife
10-13-2006, 04:59 PM
LMAO...I just noticed that, note I said punctuation and not grammar. If there was a foot in the mouth emoticon I'd be using it right now. :banghead:

It should have read "I'm never one to call someone out like this, but damn farrell, punctuation is your friend."

Howie
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
lastnights episode made me hate matt hughes even more than i already did

j.farrell
10-13-2006, 06:16 PM
LMAO...I just noticed that, note I said punctuation and not grammar. If there was a foot in the mouth emoticon I'd be using it right now. :banghead:

It should have read "I'm never one to call someone out like this, but damn farrell, punctuation is your friend."
maybe if we post together we can get it right. lol

Boo
10-13-2006, 09:34 PM
maybe if we post together we can get it right. lol
:laughing2: Strife/J.Farrell that whole bit was funny. Cool you guys didn't get all dickish (word?) with each other.

paintstik
10-14-2006, 04:46 AM
I think Serra summed it up when he called Matt a typical asshole jock.

Not to discount his obvious dominance in MMA, but he has come off as a dick on more than one occasion on public television. I don't give a shit if that's not how he really is, because his fans and haters only see what he gives them on TV.

Trigg talked about how the real matt was the one on TUF 2 and I think after watching the last episode it's probably true.

j.farrell
10-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I think Serra summed it up when he called Matt a typical asshole jock.

Not to discount his obvious dominance in MMA, but he has come off as a dick on more than one occasion on public television. I don't give a shit if that's not how he really is, because his fans and haters only see what he gives them on TV.

Trigg talked about how the real matt was the one on TUF 2 and I think after watching the last episode it's probably true.
yeah its crazy. because i met him and we sat there and talked for a little while and he was the nicest guy in the world. he was real down to earth. and didnt come off like he was better than anyone. he seemed like a regular guy. it seems like he just likes to carry other fighters.

j.farrell
10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
:laughing2: Strife/J.Farrell that whole bit was funny. Cool you guys didn't get all dickish (word?) with each other.
We're all family here. :grinsmile26:

gracie jui-jitsu guy
10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I think Hughes feels he has to step on his competition when its around him. He can't just treat them with respect and wait until he's in the octagon to do his talking, always has to be stirring the pot. He comes off as an arrogant prick. He thinks he's unbeatable so he can go around shooting his mouth off about anyone. GSP was one of the coaches for these guys, Matt had no right to disrespect him, especially in front of the guys GSP is coaching. Matt didn't make GSP look bad, he just made himself look like a no-class prick.

Boo
10-14-2006, 03:49 PM
yeah its crazy. because i met him and we sat there and talked for a little while and he was the nicest guy in the world. he was real down to earth. and didnt come off like he was better than anyone. he seemed like a regular guy. it seems like he just likes to carry other fighters.
That's been my experiences with him too. He's at a lot of the fights around here when he's not training for a title match. It's been really disappointing and confusing to see how he has looked on camera. It just doesn't gel with the guy I've met. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

paintstik
10-15-2006, 02:37 AM
If you guys have talked to him and thought he was a good guy, than maybe it's just his competitiveness coming out and he kinda looks like a jerk when it does.

leelandk
10-20-2006, 01:02 AM
I think its hard for some guys to be themselves when they know the cameras are on. I think Matt is a decent guy, but when he sees the camera's he thinks he has to be "Matt Hughes:WW King." I will always respect him for the post fight presser after the 1st BJ fight. He gave Penn all the credit in the world and made no excuses.

Transworld
10-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I’m glad Matt has found God in his life. Matt has this quote on his web site “When you lose, say little…When you win, say less”. However, he now only seems humble in losses not his victories. Hughes was one of my favorite fighters; now he is one of my most disliked..

Boo
10-20-2006, 01:47 AM
You know when I watched tonights episode I really got a different impression than what I've been reading from others (not just here). I really think Matt is just messing with these guys and not in a mean spirited way. Hell, I wanted to see Laimon and Serra roll. It would've been awesome seeing some really badass BJJ. I think because Laimon and Serra dislike each other so much, they just couldn't be joked with.

OK, if you were Hughes and you saw the way Serra was acting, how the hell would you be able to tell that Serra wasn't OK with what Hughes was doing. As soon as Serra did say something that gave Hughes a clue he backed off, gave him a good-natured slap on the arm and said, "OK man I'll leave you alone." Serra acts all friendly to Hughes' face, so Hughes probably didn't have a clue Serra had a problem with him. He does now though.

Really, if you are being fair, guys give each other shit all the time. I think part of Serra's problem with Hughes is jealously, because he want what Hughes has.

Boo
10-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I’m glad Matt has found God in his life. Matt has this quote on his web site “When you lose, say little…When you win, say less”. However, he now only seems humble in losses not his victories. Hughes was one of my favorite fighters; now he is one of my most disliked..
Didn't you see his fight with Royce Gracie. Matt was extraordinarily gracious and respectful of Royce. He actually made excuses FOR ROYCE as to why he got beat.

I admit he could have been better after the second fight with BJ. I suspect that has a lot to do with the history between the two of them. Matt has had that cloud of getting beat by BJ hanging over him for a long time.

Champ85
10-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Matt's always been the cocky jock type. The fight against Gracie he totally dominated and was yet respectful. He has owned that title of WW champ by beating everybody he's faced including BJ which hes been wanting to do for so long. I think hes gonna have one hell of a fight against GSP. That guy is damn good and I wouldn't mind seeing the title change hands.

ChrisBary
10-23-2006, 02:48 PM
of course gsp is gonna spank hughes like a baby. he's gonna beat hughes the way he beat trigg and sherk.

Livebyit_Fightbyit
10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Everyone thinks GSp is going to spank Hughes. It will be a good fight and I do give the nod to GSP but not an easy fight for him at all. I wish luck to both fighters. But they both better be happy im a heavyweight......lol j/k