PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Bowflex?

dan the man 67
07-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Just wondering if anybody has one, and actually uses it.

Likes/dislikes?

Clint
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
My parents had one and I used it for a while but especially in terms of gaining true strength, free weights are a much better choice.

dan the man 67
07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
My parents had one and I used it for a while but especially in terms of gaining true strength, free weights are a much better choice.

The nice thing about Bowflex, though, is how little space it takes up, that's the main attraction to me. I would just be looking to cut up a little, I don't need any more size or strength.

How did you like the movement of the rods? I tried one very briefly at a local Costco, and it felt a little strange. Did you get used to it? Do you feel it working your muscles in a different way than free weights?

Clint
07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
The nice thing about Bowflex, though, is how little space it takes up, that's the main attraction to me. I would just be looking to cut up a little, I don't need any more size or strength.

How did you like the movement of the rods? I tried one very briefly at a local Costco, and it felt a little strange. Did you get used to it? Do you feel it working your muscles in a different way than free weights?

It definitely feels different than free weights but has more motion than a smith machine.

If you are worried about space, make some dumbell handles and just buy a stack of 10lb weights that you can keep in the corner.

My books from Ross Enamait have completely change my outlook on how little equipment you actually need to workout.

Ifightforaliving
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
for getting definition they are pretty decent,however you will eventually not really gain much. I prefer free weights over machines. It does feel weird for awhile,and you will get used to it.I did notice a few stabilizers were sore after a few days on one. I just don't think they are worth the money when you can get a good set of free weights or hell even a smith machine for much less.

My suggestion is just join a gym. If you have to work out at home by a small set of free weights .

bigsmooth696969
07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I have a Bowflex and I like it very much. There are so many different variations of exercises you can do it is not funny. It works great for me because I have torn both rotator cuffs twice and I have a really hard time balancing free weights. The only turn off I have is that once you max out the resistance, you have to buy more flex rods and they are not cheap. Mine maxes at I believe around an estimate of 300 lbs. If you get one, get the upgrade with the leg attachment. I would look to buy one out of the newspaper of craigslist first because I got mine for only $250 and it was damn near brand new. If you buy one and use it, you will like it.