PDA

View Full Version : Tae Kwon Do

Steve88
07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
not sure where to put this haha, but i had my first test for tkd last night and passed (obviously or i wouldn't be posting haha) but it's the first belt i've ever earned in anything so i wanted to share it with you guys. been really busy lately if anyone has noticed my lack of posts but plan on making a comeback soon haha..

white belt -> yellow stripe was my belt incase anyone was wondering.. took me a few months alot of fun, and helping my flexibility for grappling big time.

Ramma
07-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey man. Congrates. I remember when I got my first stripe. It was exciting lol.

Tae Kwon Do is great for a lot of things and it will help your overall game in certain ways.

Umm.. I am not completely sure where to put this to be honest. I would assume into the Kickboxing Forum (which should really be the "Strikers Forum" lol).

Unreal
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
congrats man

Tenacious_Thunder
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
congrats man, just tested last week for my black belt purple stripe.....
little then less than half way there, so i know how it feels to get that first belt..... good job

Ifightforaliving
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
thats awesome man. I am all for training in anything and everything. And there is no better feeling than earning a rank!

Steve88
07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
thanks guys :)

totally agree ifight, it's my first belt and it feels amazing haha.. i had to break a board with a step in thrust / sidekick and i was soo nervous i smashed the blackbelts hand up pretty bad but got it easy on my second try when i took my time hahah..

I get to spar now tho which is a huge deal for me, cardio/speed wise and getting my reflexes up to where they need to be.

It's all coming together, my diet / working harder / learning to balance weight issues and when to just rest.

Problematique
07-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Grats, I remember when I got yellow on TKD.
I could've got black belt if i stayed longer, but I decided against it.
Wasn't liking it that much.

Ramma
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Lol Steve. I see you really like that yellow stripe. Nice Av

Steve88
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Lol Steve. I see you really like that yellow stripe. Nice Av

hahaha yea yea i love it.

gonna change soon tho

deeznizzies
07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
no offense to anyone who's a tkd fan or to the thread starter... but, how damn easy is it to get a belt in tkd? shit, i see 6 to 10 year old kids, boys and girls, walking around here in my apartment complex and on the street w/black belts (i live in korea.. just outside of seoul).

i think i was about 11 when i had my checker belt and that's here in korea as well.

i think if you're taking tkd to learn flexibility and to get your reflexes together... there are much better traditional martial arts you can take where you'll become a better "fighter" in a shorter amount of time then it would take you in something like tae kwon do.

all the bad habits you learn in tkd (stance, hands down, etc) may hinder your progress if you're trying to build this into mma training (which from your posts, i'm assuming you are?)

Steve88
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
i am, and i know better than the hands down crap, and my class is taught with a high hand stance for defense and im mostly in it for the flexibility and reflexes for now.. basically because where im living right now has no where else martial art wise so it's a lack of options and my gf is in it haha

i know better then to let bad habits hinder me from tkd

Ramma
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
no offense to anyone who's a tkd fan or to the thread starter... but, how damn easy is it to get a belt in tkd? shit, i see 6 to 10 year old kids, boys and girls, walking around here in my apartment complex and on the street w/black belts (i live in korea.. just outside of seoul).

i think i was about 11 when i had my checker belt and that's here in korea as well.

i think if you're taking tkd to learn flexibility and to get your reflexes together... there are much better traditional martial arts you can take where you'll become a better "fighter" in a shorter amount of time then it would take you in something like tae kwon do.

all the bad habits you learn in tkd (stance, hands down, etc) may hinder your progress if you're trying to build this into mma training (which from your posts, i'm assuming you are?)

Korea or not, those schools are shit. There is no grey area about it. The most you could get at my old TKD school was a pune belt (or junior black belt). You couldn't take the BB test unless you were 18 or older.

Additionally, that hands down shit is olympic style TKD which is a disgrace amongst any real TKD practioneer. Seriously, TKD teachers/students make fun of it. My teacher also taught us to stand with our shoulder's mostly squared, not that straight line stance that many are trained in.

Any good martial art school will break away from some of the fundementals of the art to make it more practical for real life situations.

Anyway, TKD has its good and bads. Teaches flexibility, speed, technique, accuracy, and humbleness, among other things. Unfortunately it is very 1 dimensional and where you can kick is limited (can only kick the body and head... no where else).

A good TKD school will teach TKD with another martial art (such as Hapkido) to have a defense for punches, grabs, etc.

As a single martial art, it is one of the least effective for sure. Most of the time, a TKD fighter will get his arse handed to him by a Muay Thai fighter or kickboxer. You need to know other martial arts.