PDA

View Full Version : BJJ in wrestling

Tenacious_Thunder
07-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Are there any good BJJ moves that would work well in a High school type wrestling match, the season is slowly making its way here, and i need to improve my wrestling record from last year with stuff i basicly DO know, but dont know if it is legal..... in case you were wondering my record for wrestling last season, its a lame and shamefull 8 wins and 17 losses lol

strife
07-19-2008, 07:17 PM
There is a switch that Anderson did to Nate Marquardt that I just learned in class the other week, it translates well to no gi.

None of the gi work is going to translate all that well, but no gi standup is clearly going to roll over to wrestling standup and vice versa. I'm not sure what you can do throw wise in wrestling since I wrestled so long ago. You might want to ask your coach what kind of throws are legal but I feel like if you can do a head&arm takedown in wrestling you should be able to do various sorts of hip throws. But then again, those are really hard to set up and the give your opponent your back if they don't work. Plus side, they are almost a guaranteed pin if they land.

Tenacious_Thunder
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
There is a switch that Anderson did to Nate Marquardt that I just learned in class the other week, it translates well to no gi.

None of the gi work is going to translate all that well, but no gi standup is clearly going to roll over to wrestling standup and vice versa. I'm not sure what you can do throw wise in wrestling since I wrestled so long ago. You might want to ask your coach what kind of throws are legal but I feel like if you can do a head&arm takedown in wrestling you should be able to do various sorts of hip throws. But then again, those are really hard to set up and the give your opponent your back if they don't work. Plus side, they are almost a guaranteed pin if they land.

Thanks......:grinsmile1:
for someone who knows judo, i tried a tomoe nage throw and got a sucessful pin, but only worked that once.

I'll have to rewatch the Marquart vs Silva fight again to see for sure

ultimate_mayhem
07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Basicaly, a few sweeps could get you off your back but other than that i have no clue,,, sorry

Palma
07-22-2008, 01:28 AM
There is nothing in BJJ that is going to help you in wrestling besides the basics of side control or maintaining mount, but obviously wrestling will teach those basics better then BJJ will...

The best way to get good at wrestling is to practice wrestling.

pa99fighter
08-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Just go to a camp it will make you a better wrestler. Arm Drags work.

Tenacious_Thunder
08-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Just go to a camp it will make you a better wrestler. Arm Drags work.

Yeah, i went to a camp last Friday and learned more in 3 hours then i did in 4 mounths

pa99fighter
08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, i went to a camp last Friday and learned more in 3 hours then i did in 4 mounths

Yeah. Champions are made in the offseason

Masscore
08-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I would say no... the few moves that would help with wrestling, switches and what not are already wrestling moves that most people know. Most sweeps are done off your back, which is the last place you want to be in a wrestling match. If I were you I would just do wrestling camps and offseason clubs and tournys.

I would suggest the Granby Camp in VA, Gene Mills Pin 2 Win and I think its called Mitch Clark's extreme leg riding camp... not totally sure on the last one.