PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler System Flawed (No Spoilers)

Krazikarl
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Your spoiler system with the threads is flawed if you have two events. I dont want to say too much to prevent even hinting at spoilers here, but there is a lot of interesting and natural conversation that can happen with comparing the two events. Lets be honest: how certain fighters and the events tonight compared to each other are big topics of conversation.

As you have set things up, we cant compare the two events for a very long time. This is because we cant talk about Affliction on the UFN spoiler section and we cant talk about the UFC event in the Affliction forums.

The net result is that this is worse than before. Before we would have been able to compare the events by creating threads and just sticking SPOILER in the name. Now we have to hold of on stuff for a bit, which is just silly. We cant talk about the most natural MMA topics on an MMA forum because of this system.

I realize that the system was well intentioned and could work out fine if you fix it up a bit, but it didnt work well this time IMO. It probably wont make a difference since its rare that you have two noteworthy cards like this on the same night, but its still something to be aware of just in case. But if we do have 2 cards in the future, just have 1 spoiler forum and tell people not to read it if they dont want to read spoilers about both events. Its silly to not let anybody talk about certain MMA topics because of a few.

hunterkiller
07-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Short answer, create a 3rd spoiler thread for talking about both.

Ifightforaliving
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
someone should have made an affliction/ ufc comparison spoiler thread. But hey it just started and I think it was a good Idea. For the most part people kept each event in each forum.

atj-lucko
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Your spoiler system with the threads is flawed if you have two events. I dont want to say too much to prevent even hinting at spoilers here, but there is a lot of interesting and natural conversation that can happen with comparing the two events. Lets be honest: how certain fighters and the events tonight compared to each other are big topics of conversation.

As you have set things up, we cant compare the two events for a very long time. This is because we cant talk about Affliction on the UFN spoiler section and we cant talk about the UFC event in the Affliction forums.

The net result is that this is worse than before. Before we would have been able to compare the events by creating threads and just sticking SPOILER in the name. Now we have to hold of on stuff for a bit, which is just silly. We cant talk about the most natural MMA topics on an MMA forum because of this system.

I realize that the system was well intentioned and could work out fine if you fix it up a bit, but it didnt work well this time IMO. It probably wont make a difference since its rare that you have two noteworthy cards like this on the same night, but its still something to be aware of just in case. But if we do have 2 cards in the future, just have 1 spoiler forum and tell people not to read it if they dont want to read spoilers about both events. Its silly to not let anybody talk about certain MMA topics because of a few.

Just got here after watching everything, looking through the posts I noticed 4 inmates already, thats definitely a record for one night.

Have to agree something messed up!

Krazikarl
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Its a good idea, but because of some of the details we cant have any conservsations about some of the most important topics (how Affliction compares to the UFC and its prospects for long term survival). There is just no place to legally start those threads.

Frag x 3
07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
It's one of the few nights where there's more than one event happening at the same time, so I don't think this is something we have to worry about in the future. Also, people demanded that the mods and admins create a spoiler section, so don't blame them for any shortcomings in the conversation.

Palma
07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
This is awesome... the poster who never actually talks about fights is bitching about not being able to talk about fights.

Ifightforaliving
07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
This is awesome... the poster who never actually talks about fights is bitching about not being able to talk about fights.
I was wondering when you would show up!

mauladala
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Going in a thread titled "Official PPV Affliction Discussion *Spoilers*" and mentioning results of a UFC event on the SAME NIGHT -WHEN- there is a thread titled "Official UFN Discussion Thread *Spoilers*"

=

forum faux pas.

I wouldn't do that- as the "natural conversation" of said topic should exist in said thread. Would you Krazi? Bet you wouldn't because you actually see the logic behind the thread titles.

How's that? It's not rocket science, and you know all about that. So why does this elude you?

jkilla374
07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Going in a thread titled "Official PPV Affliction Discussion *Spoilers*" and mentioning results of a UFC event on the SAME NIGHT -WHEN- there is a thread titled "Official UFN Discussion Thread *Spoilers*"

=

forum faux pas.

I wouldn't do that- as the "natural conversation" of said topic should exist in said thread. Would you Krazi? Bet you wouldn't because you actually see the logic behind the thread titles.

How's that? It's not rocket science, and you know all about that. So why does this elude you?

I disagree with you and agree with Karl.

Especially since UFN was over before Affliction. There is going to be a natural cross-over, and for those watching both events, it is a pain in the ass to go between the two threads to post, especially when the forums are slow due to traffic.

You have arguably the number 1 and 2 pound for pound fighters fighting on the same night, if you don't think it is reasonable to compare their performances, I don't know what to say.

ArMnHC
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
i just noticed that there are like 3 threads in the general forum that have spoiler content in them, and members keep contributing to them...i guess it really is flawed, no one is listening to it. the rules seemed fairly easy to understand, not rocket science LOL

Krazikarl
07-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Oh please, I'm on here all the time right after fights talking about them. And I've argued with you extensively about fights immediately after they have happened in the past.

So stop trolling and saying things that just arent true.

Palma
07-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh please, I'm on here all the time right after fights talking about them. And I've argued with you extensively about fights immediately after they have happened in the past.

So stop trolling and saying things that just arent true.

Wow, Trolling? I don't think understand the meaning of the word... besides, didn't we have a two day argument over me calling you a troll once?

Anyways, my point isn't to call you out as a poster (I really think you are fine poster, besides the fact that you can go a bit overboard in your diatribes)... I was just calling you out for being a bitcher. It's a brand new system and of course there will be flaws as it has only been employed for one day. It would be greatly appreciated if you simply created constructive threads about how to alter or better run the sytem within the site in the sites/suggestion feedback section and not on the main forum.

Besides, you are also wrong. You can simply create your own thread in the spoiler section clearly stating that there are spoilers for both events.

... End Communication

riggs
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Im just glad I was watching both at the same time or I would probably be pretty upset. Anyone who was watching just the Affliction card and tivoing the UFN would have been screwed with all the comparisons on the Affliction thread. What can you expect though, it did say spoilers in the title!

ChuckBooty
07-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm of the mind that if you don't want to hear about the most current MMA event then DO NOT COME TO A FORUM WHERE EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT THE MOST CURRENT MMA EVENT!!!!!!!!! People that bitch about spoilers are retarded. I love this place but I avoid it like the plague if I don't want to hear about the latest fight.

Beowulf
07-21-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm of the mind that if you don't want to hear about the most current MMA event then DO NOT COME TO A FORUM WHERE EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT THE MOST CURRENT MMA EVENT!!!!!!!!! People that bitch about spoilers are retarded. I love this place but I avoid it like the plague if I don't want to hear about the latest fight.

Normally I'm the same way, but the fact that not only was there a separate spoilers forum but a thread specifically for each event, I assumed people would get the impression to only post about that event in that certain thread.

Bullock
07-21-2008, 02:20 AM
The rules of the spoiler forum clearly stated to keep each event in its own thread.

I don't really see how people choosing not to makes the system flawed. It just makes the people a)ignorant of the rule or b) assholes.

And this thread does not belong in the main forum.

Frag x 3
07-21-2008, 02:33 AM
This thread sucks, because spoilers are inevitable if you're logging into MMANEWS.COM. Don't come here if you don't want to know about a fight. It's fucking stupid. This shit didn't belong on the main forum, and it doesn't belong on any part of this board. Don't click on shit if you don't want to know the news about MMA.

Beowulf
07-21-2008, 02:43 AM
This thread sucks, because spoilers are inevitable if you're logging into MMANEWS.COM. Don't come here if you don't want to know about a fight. It's fucking stupid. This shit didn't belong on the main forum, and it doesn't belong on any part of this board. Don't click on shit if you don't want to know the news about MMA.

Some people just don't get it...

If there weren't rules about it, then I'm sure people wouldn't come here if they haven't seen the fights already. But seeing as there are rules about posting spoilers, you should be able to expect to come here without seeing them,how fucking hard is that to understand.

Frag x 3
07-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Breaking the rules about posting spoilers is just as stupid as anything else, but it's still not unexpected.

subman
07-21-2008, 03:48 AM
I disagree with you and agree with Karl.

Especially since UFN was over before Affliction. There is going to be a natural cross-over, and for those watching both events, it is a pain in the ass to go between the two threads to post, especially when the forums are slow due to traffic.

You have arguably the number 1 and 2 pound for pound fighters fighting on the same night, if you don't think it is reasonable to compare their performances, I don't know what to say.

In my case, I had both threads open, and clicked on the wrong one a few times. Caught myself before posting, but it was easy during the excitement to accidentally go to the wrong thread.

How long until the next double event? Yeah, my GAS factor over this is pretty low...

JoeSons BruisedNuts
07-21-2008, 06:54 PM

Where was this thought process when it came to L. Ron Hubbard??? He got your panties (to include your top hat and suspendes) ruffled a few times.

jokerthief
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Few people can watch both events without some significant time lag. The current system works best for the majority of people. It does suck for those who can watch both at the same time or close together. You just can't fuck over the majority of posters with an all out spoiler forum though. Perhaps a compromise can be made. A third thread where discussion of either event could be made and we could still have the other two. This seems like a pretty simple fix.

Bullock
07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Next time (if there ever is) there will be a Spoiler Section specifically for people who are discussing both.

ChuckBooty
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Next time (if there ever is) there will be a Spoiler Section specifically for people who are discussing both.

I also want a spoiler section for the people who want to talk about the people who are discussing both events in the spoiler section.:huh:

jkilla374
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I also want a spoiler section for the people who want to talk about the people who are discussing both events in the spoiler section.:huh:

Excellent idea.