PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Black Belts in MMA

thefirm0
07-27-2008, 10:07 PM
i was cruising wiki and found a list of all the bjj black belts and all the way up to red belts. ricardo almeida and fabricio werdum are the highest ranking guys that currently fight in mma that i noticed as 2nd degree black belts. who do you guys think is the best bjj practitioner on that list as far as pure bjj in competition goes? i also noticed mario yamasaki is a 3rd degree black belt which was pretty cool. enjoy.

List of BJJ Black Belts - OTMWiki (http://onthemat.com/wiki/index.php/List_of_BJJ_Black_Belts)

this is a good link for everyone

Main Page - OTMWiki (http://onthemat.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

Ramma
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Marcus Aurelio is a 3rd degree black belt. There are others (such as Jorge Gurgel, who simple doesn't convert into MMA all that well), and more 2nd degrees as well. I'm not going to go make a list or anything.

But Werdum, Aurelio, Gurgel, Almeida aren't the only ones. There are the Gracies of course as well.

pa99fighter
07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I never knew Mario Yamasaki was a 3rd degree black belt/ Good find. rep'd

thefirm0
07-27-2008, 10:15 PM
really? who are the others that compete in mma?

Dsm634
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I never knew Mario Yamasaki was a 3rd degree black belt/ Good find. rep'd

Yeah me neither. Awesome find!

thumper
07-27-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah this is a very cool list.

AngryJohnny
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
That's awesome, I've been somewhat curious on the actual number of black belts out there for years now. Taking into account it's probably not quite up to date, the number is actually smaller than I expected.

thefirm0
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
That's awesome, I've been somewhat curious on the actual number of black belts out there for years now. Taking into account it's probably not quite up to date, the number is actually smaller than I expected.

yah its crazy how few there really are eh? shows how much you gotta put in to pick up that belt. if i ever get one im gonna hold it up like the winning lottery ticket and then wrap it around my punching bag forever.

guys check out the second link for the OTM main page there's a list of all the martial arts practiced in every region of the world china has some sick ones for example- turtle kung fu, and the eight animals fghting stye formerly known as chi tao gung fu

Palma
07-28-2008, 01:29 AM
1. Jacare
2. Roger Gracie
3. Marcelio Garcia

Cromm
07-28-2008, 02:39 AM
I was skimming the grappling hold section and a few caught my eye..... Stranglehold: Using awful lyrics to subdue your opponent.
Third hook: The most dreaded submission hold.
Third hook........ sounds pretty fu**ing scary to me.
And I think Stranglehold is a core part of the rubberguaed mwastered by Eddie Bravo.... He whispered softly into Roylers ear until Roylers ears started to bleed.... its the truth

AJL416AZ
07-28-2008, 04:32 AM
some of this list is old. Gustavo Dantas, my coach is listed as a black belt, when he has his 2nd degree.

this is cool, but I do think that there should be a more cohesive record, kept by a focused BJJ group. a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu is the product of years of effort, and should be remembered by somebody.

tapper
07-28-2008, 09:51 AM
the color of ones belt is not as important as who gave you that belt.

Palma
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
some of this list is old. Gustavo Dantas, my coach is listed as a black belt, when he has his 2nd degree.

this is cool, but I do think that there should be a more cohesive record, kept by a focused BJJ group. a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu is the product of years of effort, and should be remembered by somebody.

They are usually remembered by the people that they have beaten over the years.

jcurin
07-28-2008, 12:56 PM
i know it's been said a lot... but BJ won the Mundials after 3 years of training. he never really focused on grappling after that, but you have to imagine he probably could've won any grappling title there is with that kind of natural ability.

more money in mma of course...

Palma
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
i know it's been said a lot... but BJ won the Mundials after 3 years of training. he never really focused on grappling after that, but you have to imagine he probably could've won any grappling title there is with that kind of natural ability.

more money in mma of course...

Of course it's possible, but you have guys like Jacare and Marcelio competing in and winning in Absolute divisions... who knows how Penn would have faired against fighters like Roger Garcia or Xande Ribeiro.

MONSONBYCHOKE
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
did not see Monson's name on there and he is a BJJ black belt

He has beaten Ribeiro if i am not mistaken on a side note

Palma
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
did not see Monson's name on there and he is a BJJ black belt

He has beaten Ribeiro if i am not mistaken on a side note

He beat Vitor Ribeiro 2000... but lost to Saulo Ribeiro in 2003... Monson has never fought Xande Ribeiro and probably wouldn't do too well against him.

MONSONBYCHOKE
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
He beat Vitor Ribeiro 2000... but lost to Saulo Ribeiro in 2003... Monson has never fought Xande Ribeiro and probably wouldn't do too well against him.
Thanks for clearing that up.

How are things on another note?

Palma
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

How are things on another note?

Things are great.. I just ran a little marathon here yesterday and I am a little tired, but great overall. How you been?

MONSONBYCHOKE
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Things are great.. I just ran a little marathon here yesterday and I am a little tired, but great overall. How you been?
good just been working alot and lifting again. I am on my squat day today. Going to be sore tomorrow