PDA

View Full Version : Damn spambots

thebwit
08-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Ok what's with all the bots getting in suddenly and posting tons of shit to these "gold sites"?

I know it would suck for us users, but can we put a captcha on submitting a new thread and get rid of quick reply except for the live discussion threads?

Ifightforaliving
08-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I think they should change it to if your post gets flagged 2 times then you can't post again until a mod ok's it.

thebwit
08-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I think they should change it to if your post gets flagged 2 times then you can't post again until a mod ok's it.

That wouldn't stop the bots. They come in and post about 6 posts and leave. There needs to be something else to stop them.

Ramma
08-02-2008, 12:46 AM
If it is possible, we could implement a spam report system to go with the report system.

Ifightforaliving
08-02-2008, 01:12 AM
how about just not letting anyone without 20+ rep post out of noobjack at all. or until cleared by a mod. and your first 10 posts must have a captcha. at least that way they are only doing it in one area.

sandywh
08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
http://tech.petegraham.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/spambot.png

#1taz
08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Spambots (like all spammers) really suck. Those damn script using little jerks are really hard to keep out of any website or forum, but having an area locked down for all noobs helps.

On sites I've owned/adminned, I've confined all noobs to one location untill they have a certain number of posts and rep points/thank you's, blocked noobs from joining without giving out their location and other pertinent info, blocked noobs from posting or viewing any images at all untill they have a certain number of posts and rep points/thank you's, blocked them from posting or viewing any links at all untill they have a certain amount of posts and rep points/thank you's, and blocked all noobs from sending or recieving any PMs except to and from staff members untill they have a certain number of posts and rep points/thank yous - but some spammers still manage to find a way to get through. I've even had to switch my registration to "admin approved only" from time to time on certain sites to try to keep them out.

I used to use a 3 warning limit to ban everyone - but I dropped it to 1 - and I ban all people by their IPs, email address, and names. But spammers get no warning at all. They're the reason why I first started editting the avatars, sigs, and posts of people I have to ban...lol

Most of the time I don't screw with people I have to ban if they don't act like too much of a douchebag before they get booted out - and I'm quick to lock threads and edit or delete posts (if necessary) if people get to bickering with each other too much. But I show absolutely no mercy for spammers. All spammers deserve and get the full "creative editting" treatment.

IMHO they are much worse than flamers or trolls. Most noob flamers and trolls are quickly identified and reported by members, and old time regular members that get to bickering at each other can usually be tactfully reasoned with in a PM, or they too get booted out quickly. I also usually try to keep my staff to a bare minimum, and I'm very careful about who I choose for staff positions based on their quality of their posts. IMHO it's better to enforce strict rules than it is to spend countless hours babysitting and arguing.

...Just my $.02 worth.

Clint
08-02-2008, 04:51 PM
The rep system had them locked down forever and now all of the sudden these ones are getting around it

valheruking
08-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah the rep system handled it great for a long time, some minor changes are needed perhaps, I wouldn't go overboard with solutions as the rep system keeps about 95% of them out. I would rather ban the few accounts that get through than set some kind of rep requirement or whatever for new members, no point making things more complicated for all the new members for the sake of the odd spam account that pops up.

#1taz
08-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I agree it sucks that the majority of the new members have to suffer a bit to keep the few spammers and trolls/flamers out - but on a public website or forum - you don't really don't have any other choice any more. Blindly trusting people clearly does not work....lol

IMHO there is just too many assholes with way too much free time and access to way too much information that really like to screw with other people's hard work and dedication to their membership to allow a site owner, admin, or staff member to let their guard down enough to trust everyone. I would personally love it if I could put everyone on the "honor system" and never have to worry about it - but there is just no way that's possible.

Those malicious assholes can just use a script to search and find every site with the same format software, and their scripts will even automatically check it for vulnerabilities. Once they have a list - they share it around with their little asshole buddies - and if you're on it, you're next. And whether you use phpBB, IPB, SMF, Vb, YaBB, or any other free or paid format software makes no difference - none are completely safe or bullet proof.

I've even had a very small private "invitation only" site that was hidden and unaccessable to everyone unless approved by an admin, (with only one other admin and no other staff members), get spammed and hacked. I put it up so owners, admins, and staff members of a few similar type sites could hang out together in peace...and it still got screwed with.....lol

2mcgrath
08-03-2008, 02:03 AM
yeah ive noticed an increasing number of them lately.i just flag the post and move on really all we can do.