PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather JR vs Oscar De La Hoya

Afro
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000352

check at the top, schedueled fights

so who do you guys think wins this one? my cash is on Floyd Jr.

Matt Boone
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd have to go with Mayweather also, but I don't think it's a guarantee. DLH can hang with anyone, especially someone smaller than him who probably won't be able to knock him out. I don't see Mayweather clear-cut dancing circles around him to win a decision, so it could be an interesting fight.

Mastiff_owner
06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
This is a fight i would not bet a lot of money on if i were you. Mayweather has for the most part been relatively sheltered. His biggest money fight was against gatti who is a warrior that stands and fights. Mayweather picked him apart as was expected. His fight with Kostya Zyu (sp) was prob his toughest test and he couldn't finish him. He says he will fight anyone but he has been ducking a lot of talented fighters namely Callizone (SP)and hatton, who has repeatedly called him out. Mayweather's excuse has been the payday is not big enough. I think if he fights DLH he will be exposed as a great technician with no power. He is one classic DLH left hook from being exposed. But then again he is a great technician with good footwork and it may be a 12 round decision going either way.

Luis Cruz
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Mayweather never fought Kostya Tszyu. I'm not sure who that first guy is your talking about him ducking but the only person i'd say would be Margarito but that's because he wants the big dough for Oscar which is a smart move. And i definately wouldn't say he's ducking Hatton, he'd give him a boxing lesson from bell to bell. If he fights Oscar he better do it at 147lbs because if he moves up to 154lbs that might be playing right into Oscar's hands. At 147lbs this is an awesome fight and i wouldn't be dropping any money on betting i'd just sit back and enjoy the show!

Kass101
06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
great fight but i still wish he was fighting margarito. i guess 20 mil is better then 8 mil. i hope mayweather wins because dey la hoya is a draw whether he wins or loses and i want to see mayweather margarito. i think mayweather takes it but i wouldnt be suprised to see de la hoya take the first to set up a few more fight and make some more money because thats all boxings about anyway.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
My bad i was thinking of Zab Judah. If he wants a payday hatton in england would fill whichever venue he wants to fight in. I have been following Hatton for a while and am a big fan if for no other reason than i love the facial expression when some one goes down from a clean body shot and hatton works the body better than most.

Kass101
06-09-2006, 01:29 AM
hatton doesnt come close to the drawing power de la hoya has especially in the states. mayweather is the attraction against anyone except oscar when its oscar. so the oscar fight makes him the most money by far and then he can go back and beat the rest of them after he is done.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 01:30 AM
I think hatton would prove a much tougher test than you think. Hatton is a brawler with skills. Either way i will end up buying the PPV regardless. I don't know if its his attitude or whatever but i just don't like mayweather. Can't wait for him to take a beating.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 01:32 AM
You are correct for drawing power in the states but in the UK Hatton is huge. DLH is the biggest name in boxing period. He could fight my grandmother and sell out the staples center. LOL

Kass101
06-09-2006, 01:32 AM
mayweather is to quick for hatton and he doesnt have the reach to get to floyd. hatton needs to be inside and floyd just has to good of boxing skills for that to happen. thats why margarito is a threat because hes the total package aswell.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Which is why mayweather won't fight Margarito. I have watched hatton fight and he reminds me of a very good Micky ward. Take 5 to land 1. He is always pressing the action. no dancing he is there to fight. I don't think reach would be an issue but hand speed would. Mayweather would be able to see the punches coming and avoid them. Hatton really doesn't throw the flurries he would see from mayweather.

Kass101
06-09-2006, 01:41 AM
i agree with you there that mayweather would see hattons punches and hes to quick for him. i thought u said hatton was gonna give him a test? because it sounds like from that post that you agree that mayweather handles him.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 01:48 AM
I am just stating some of the advantages mayweather would have. I personally think Hatton's bullying style would wear mayweather down somewhere between rounds 6 and 8. Then we would see what mayweather had in the tank. I don't think he has the heart to survive a war with hatton. The first 4-5 rounds i would see going mayweather's way then the fight shifting to hatton in the later rounds. I think he is more physically dominant than mayweather. That is why i think hatton would be a tough fight for mayweather to win. And i could def see hatton pulling off the victory.

Kass101
06-09-2006, 01:52 AM
did you watch the judah fight? judah was winning the first few rounds and then mayweather just took over. he can last all twelve rounds and the bullying style only works when u can get inside. better and quicker boxers havent been able to do that to mayweather.

Matt Boone
06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Mayweather would do what Collazo tried to do to, and half-ass successfully did against Hatton ...only times 100 better.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 09:27 PM
jsut out of curiosity was the collazo fight the only hatton fight you have seen? He used to be on showbox pretty frequently. Thats where i became a fan of his and having watched some of those are the reason i think he has a legit shot at beating mayweather.

Luis Cruz
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I've seen lots of Hatton's fights and i'm telling you he has no shot at Mayweather ESPECIALLY at 147lbs. Hatton has a very padded record because he's fought a bunch of no names and the names he has fought were past their primes. Tszyu was his biggest win and that was a dirty fight that Hatton got away with murder in because it was in his backyard. He streak will end real soon. I think Collazo will beat him in a rematch. Hatton's decent at 140lbs but 147lbs is out of his class, guys are too big for him there and Mayweather is just too slick and too good an all around boxer for Hatton to do anything with he would literally make him look like an amature and i'm no Mayweather fan. He'll drop back to 140lbs like he hinted after his last fight, he knows he's out of his league there and someone like Margarito would also make him look foolish. Don't underestimate Mayweather's power either. He might not have one punch KO power but he has what Cotto has, constant shots landing that add up and finish fights later on.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Perhaps i am looking at this with Jaded glasses. I am not a fan of mayweather. I am really looking forward to him losing and there are not many out there that can do it. he won't fight Margarito so i am kinda pinning my hopes on hatton (at 140) with a big payday against mayweather at 147 or 140 if mayweather would come down.. I don't think mayweather has been hit with a body shot like hatton can deliver. If he fights mayweather the body shot is how he will win. I agree the Tsyzu fight was a borderline mugging that he got away with but if he got away with something like that against mayweather he can win.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Besides who gave silvia any kind of a shot at beating arlovski? I know i didn't. I was 100% certain AA would give him another clinic inside 3 minutes.

Matt Boone
06-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm a Mayweather fan, and that dude is the man. He's the pound for pound best in the sport, the best fighter in the sport today in my opinion. Hatton in my opinion is nothing more than a glorified brawler with primative skills. I've always been waiting for him to be exposed. Quite honestly I didn't think Collazo would be the guy to do it, I thought it was another easy fight for Hatton, but yeah I've been waiting for a good boxer to make Hatton look like a fool. Collazo came pretty close, Mayweather would down right embarass him.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Hatton is a brawler that is what i like about him. That is also why i like Mickey ward and gatti. Mayweather is the P4P king right now. I think my biggest problem is he wins too many fights by decision. yes he dominates fighters with his speed and skill but i have never really seen him hurt. I don't know what kind of heart he has. Look what happen to Wvaldimir Klitscho when Corrie sanders knocked him out the first time. Everyone was saying he was unstoppable but he didn't know how to recover from a knock down. It took him three fights to figure that out. I don't know if that will happen to mayweather but until i see it i am not sold on him.

Matt Boone
06-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I don't know, Mayweather has gone 12 rounds with some awesome fighters and they haven't been able to really ever hurt him that I can recall. Klitschko wasn't dominating all the best people in the sport at the time en route to his reputation that eventually came crashing down. Mayweather is just too damn good right now, the only way we'll ever see him hurt is if someone connects wildly with something like Castillo was doing in the first fight (my memory isn't the greatest so I might be thinking of the Jesus Chavez fight or another one from his past) and he overcame it. The only other way we'll see him really facing danger is if he keeps climbing up the weight classes in search of bigger money. Eventually he'll go too far. Beyond that at his weight and all around it I don't see him having too much problems with anyone. I think Magarito is the most interesting fight for him from a die-hard boxing fans perspective, DLH is the one most wanted right now though.

Mastiff_owner
06-09-2006, 11:56 PM
I pretty much agree with everything you just said. Perhaps he will get got by something like a mayorga V forrest type punch. I also agree that the margarito fight is the one boxing fans want to see. In the same way i would personally rather see DLH fight Tito again.

Shifts over i'm going home. It is kinda nice to be paid to post in forums. I'll be back on around 11 or 12 tomorrow afternoon. take it easy

Luis Cruz
06-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I know what you mean about getting paid to post. lol

Anyways, Mayweather was rocked by Correly and had his problems with Castillo is the first fight. He's been tested and he has a chin plus a recovery rate like Rich Franklin where he recovers in a matter of seconds. His defense is the reason why you don't see him hurt often, you're not suppose to get hurt to prove yourself. You prove yourself by avoiding that situation all together, but yeah he has heart and chin to so forget about that being a question mark.

Kass101
06-10-2006, 01:29 AM
paid to post? how do i get that deal.

Luis Cruz
06-10-2006, 01:36 AM
i became a correctional officer. :grinsmile1:

Kass101
06-10-2006, 01:41 AM
lol, i need a job like that. im about to try and get fired from my valet job ive about had it.

but anyway what are the rumors for the date of this fight?

Luis Cruz
06-10-2006, 01:49 AM
september 16th would be the date. oscar was on wednesday nigth fights and said its retirement or floyd thats it. i'm pretty sure it's happening because now he'll look like a coward if he doesn't because it's talked about so much and floyd's dad pretty much gave the ok. plus there's way to much money to be made. oscar vs bernard almost reach 1,000,000 buys this one definately will. i cant even fathom how much oscar would make but my guess would be roughly and a minimum of around $50 mil.

Kass101
06-10-2006, 02:04 AM
well if hes co promoting or promoting the whole thing. i dont know who mayweather is signed with. then hes gonna make a rediculous amount of money.

Matt Boone
06-10-2006, 02:45 AM
So the chances are good it will happen? Boxingrec.com has it listed for September. I don't know how reliable they are, but they have the fighter database for boxers as extensive as Sherdog's.

Mastiff_owner
06-10-2006, 12:58 PM
How to get a job where you are paid to post
1. Enlist in Marine Corps so you are viewed as a leader (optional)
2. Go to college for a business management degree
3. Get a 2nd shift job for a major manufacturer as a shift supervisor approx 50k a year. 2nd shift because all the bosses have gone home after about 5
4. Train your employees to think for themselves so you don't have to '
5. Relax in air conditioned office and play on computer while employees work, making rounds through the plant periodically and take care of problems as they arise.

foolproof and failsafe I love my job

Matt Boone
06-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm a cross between #'s four and five, with a slight twist on the fifth.