PDA

View Full Version : NFL considering 18 game schedule

Oats420
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
At the owners meeting in May, the quality of the league's preseason was discussed, specifically how some preseason games are a poor reflection of the NFL product. Commissioner Roger Goodell is keeping the issue in the news, most recently telling reporters at Bengals camp that the league is "actively evaluating" whether to add a regular-season game and cut the preseason from four games to three. Goodell then took it one step further, saying he also wouldn't rule out 18 regular-season games and only two preseason contests.

FanNation | Truth&Rumors | Goodell considers 18-game schedule (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/61595)

I would like to see this happen. I believe they need preseason, but not as many as they do now. Cut it in half, and add two more games to the regular season. I'd like to see more AFC teams play NFC teams. We could see potential Superbowl type games during the season, and that would be awesome.

Your opinions?

TheBonger
08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
well its a good idea in that there are too many preseason games and the owners wont agree to reduce it unless games are added to the Reg season, personally I feel an 18 week 16 game schedule is the best way to go, which is how it was for a long time. Adding one or two more reg season games is fine but that absolutely must add the 2nd bye week back because injuries are already a major issue and two more games without any more rest will be bad.

hunterkiller
08-11-2008, 01:37 AM
It's more likely to add 1 game to the regular season and cut the preseason by 2 making a 3 game pre and 17 game regular season. I highly doubt your going to see a 18 game regular season.

One thing to keep in mind is an added game adds revenues and the players will definitely want their cut.

bigsmooth696969
08-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Well, an 18 week/17 game schedule presents a problem. Uneven home/away games. There is no even split unless every team plays one neutral site game. The season is long enough already. To me, this is a ploy by owners and the NFL to line their pockets with more cash. Do the players get 1/17th more money added to their contracts? Wouldn't the NFLPA have to approve it too? So many sticking points, I just don't see it.

hunterkiller
08-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, an 18 week/17 game schedule presents a problem. Uneven home/away games. There is no even split unless every team plays one neutral site game. The season is long enough already. To me, this is a ploy by owners and the NFL to line their pockets with more cash. Do the players get 1/17th more money added to their contracts? Wouldn't the NFLPA have to approve it too? So many sticking points, I just don't see it.

Actually all of your points have already been questioned and resolved when it comes to adding the 17th game.

The teams would have alternating seasons of having the extra game at home or away.

It's far from a ploy to make more money because they aren't really adding a game. They're just making the final preseason a game a regular season game.

And yes, the players get 55 percent of revenue, so they will get an extra game check the equivalent of what they normally make.

I'm all for it. It's the preseason I think is too long. All they are trying to do is get rid of all of the useless preseason games where injuries are happening in games that don't even count.

The players are the ones who introduced this idea, not the owners.

Oats420
08-11-2008, 03:08 AM
It's the preseason I think is too long. All they are trying to do is get rid of all of the useless preseason games where injuries are happening in games that don't even count.

Yeah, exactly. I agree though, and it does make sense to do it. A couple pre-season games is all that is needed, and if they want to add that games they took away to the regular season i'm not going to argue about it. More football is always good, imo.