PDA

View Full Version : Anyone weight training?

MONSONBYCHOKE
08-12-2008, 02:38 AM
I just started back into it. I am actually working with a power lifter at this point. I am really concentrating on my squat workout. I am hoping to be able to be squating 400 x 3 by January, with just a belt and obviousley drug free.

The guy i am currantly working out with is 43 6'1 282 he is a very good friend of mine. He was really into powerlifting years and years ago and just got back into it and will be in the northeast regional drug free and gear free meet in October in VT. He has all the champs numbers and with 8 weeks to go is ahead of him in just about everything. Competition will be made up of squat,deadlift,bench and at the end at a seperate thing will be the stict curl. Dan Driscoll is the man he has to beat and the funny thing is going to be this guys face when he see's my friend show up because he is not going to know who he is. Where as my buddy has all this guys numbers lol. It should be a good time

thumper
08-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I was really into strength training a few years ago.

But I got in a car accident and it spllit my rotator cuff on my right shoulder. At the time I didn't have insurance so I never got it fixed.

Now I can push stuff, and pull, but if I try lifting from my waist when I get my arm out even it KILLS. A good example is I can't even lift a gallon of milk from the fridge, but I didn't have a problem hanging my 100 pound LCD TV by myself.

Since the range of motion isn't there, I just stopped working on strength It seemed pointless. So now all I do is cardio so i don't blow up like a balloon :)

By the way, I'm very jealous of your occupation. I always wanted to be a cop

MONSONBYCHOKE
08-12-2008, 03:26 AM
I never wanted to be a cop it was a last minute decision. It has its moments ups and downs like anything else i guess.

But back to the topic. I love to train i just had a real bad stretch of injuries. I had a very large operation on my knee (5hrs). Thats fine now then i through out my back and am now just getting back into it after 2 years. I am 6'1 222 at the momtent. I am hoping by this time next year I will be about 240. Thats as big as i want to get. I just take creatine, glutamine and protein.

I am coming along very well at this moment.

HeavyHands
08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah man I've been in and out of strength training for a couple years and once my sprained wrist heals up (resulted from hitting a heavy bag without gloves or wraps ha!) I'm heading into a new routine. I'm gonna be doing a HIT program. Really cool routine that requires three days of lifting per week (mon, wed, fri) and involves a couple warm-up sets per body part and then doing just ONE working set to 100% physical failure by about the 6-7th rep. The rationale of training only mon, wed, fri stems from the idea that the nervous system takes about 24 hours to recover after such high intensity workouts and only after that point do the muscles begin to recover/grow/adapt. This is to hopefully promote maximum growth and strength. Its a new thing that I've read alot about and it sounds like a good (though tough) change for myself. Not doing it on any gear... Just using Kre-Alkalyn, Glutamine, Animal Paks, Protein Isolates and Casseine, Fish and Flaxseed Oil. Should be starting this routine in a couple weeks. I'm going to be lifting 3 weeks and then take one week off completely. Then pick back up. Gonna repeat that process about 3-5 times and hopefully put on at least 10-15 pounds of muscle (and some fat naturally) and then head into about a 4-6 week cutting program... Looking forward to it!

Best wishes in all your efforts!

MONSONBYCHOKE
08-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks man, best of luck to you as well.

Ubermensch
08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah man I've been in and out of strength training for a couple years and once my sprained wrist heals up (resulted from hitting a heavy bag without gloves or wraps ha!) I'm heading into a new routine. I'm gonna be doing a HIT program. Really cool routine that requires three days of lifting per week (mon, wed, fri) and involves a couple warm-up sets per body part and then doing just ONE working set to 100% physical failure by about the 6-7th rep. The rationale of training only mon, wed, fri stems from the idea that the nervous system takes about 24 hours to recover after such high intensity workouts and only after that point do the muscles begin to recover/grow/adapt. This is to hopefully promote maximum growth and strength. Its a new thing that I've read alot about and it sounds like a good (though tough) change for myself. Not doing it on any gear... Just using Kre-Alkalyn, Glutamine, Animal Paks, Protein Isolates and Casseine, Fish and Flaxseed Oil. Should be starting this routine in a couple weeks. I'm going to be lifting 3 weeks and then take one week off completely. Then pick back up. Gonna repeat that process about 3-5 times and hopefully put on at least 10-15 pounds of muscle (and some fat naturally) and then head into about a 4-6 week cutting program... Looking forward to it!

Best wishes in all your efforts!
Sounds like your doing a good job. Glad you know you sups, I hate how everyone gets concentrate and acts like its a good thing...haha

Anyway I do basic Heavy lifting with Plyos mixed in I think it has been the best for me but everyones muscle tissue acts differently to different workouts. I like to put plyos in because it makes my body stronger and my gains are faster but sense that kinda workout is hard on the body you gotta watch your self. As we all know it is all about the form of your movement.

Paytheplayer
08-15-2008, 01:22 AM
I have pretty intense workouts at the gym, but Im cutting back, and adding more cardio. I have a girlfriend, but I noticed that chicks dig you more if you're leaner and ripped rather than big, and it's better for my confidence to have the chicks lookin more than less haha.
Right now Im about 5'10, 208lbs. I was at 220, but I cut 12 pretty quickly and the rest is starting to be a bitch. I wanna get down to atleast 200, then probably 195 or 190 at the least, I still want some decent size.

The problem is, I have too much pride, and Im too afraid to lose strength, so I keep lifting the same weight as I was, and I refuse to go down.

sabreclaww
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Lately I've been having trouble with motivation. I've always naturally been cut....but now that im kinda roundin 30, i'ts easier to put on bulk, but shredding is hard. I've never used supliments...and have always seen above average gains...but now....man.

as far as the motivation....what i'm saying is that because im not playing any sports or anything like that, I'm kinda like 'why'? I used to lift to impress women, (cmon...we can all admit that a LITTLE) but I married a rediculously beautiful woman and dont wanna impress anyone any more....so ...sigh....

there was a thread about this a while ago, where all us 'old guys' lamented, but like I said...motivation and schedule is the hardest thing. I'm still borderline jacked, but not what I used to be. I sometimes wonder if I'm kinda doomed to just consistantly go downhill.

GEEZER
08-17-2008, 07:18 PM
my answer : sort of , yeah. I'm fuckin old (51 ) with a back I've been rehabbing for the last 25 years, and crappy knees I can't do any serious weight with, but one thing I know is that if I don't keep up my ha;f-assed regimen I fall apart really quick and it's hard to get back. So all you young whippersnappers out there should keep up some kind of program, not necesarily heavy , low rep strength training , but something. They don't say "use it or lose it" just because it's a clever phrase.

I don't have a choice , because my work requires good arm/hand/ shoulder
strength and endurance , and I have to lift buckets and sheets of metal around regularly , so if I don't stay reasonably strong , I don't last long in my career. Mostly I do sets of 20 -50 with medium weight , and a few high weight sets with low reps, to get some strength and some endurance .
Hardly any cardio or heavy weights on the legs because of my frakkin knees, but I work around that . Shallow "deadsquats" of 100 lbs x 100 reps , or 150 for 50 reps . Weak old shit, yeah , but at least I'm still doing it ...

MONSONBYCHOKE
08-27-2008, 03:27 AM
I am sore as can be right now, just had a good squat day

i did 320 for 3
300 for 3
280 for 3
250 for 5

i am working on just doing 4 heavy sets. 400 for 3 is looking good for sometime at the start of dec.

I am entering the strict curl at a meet in october

Steve88
09-02-2008, 04:03 AM
I've starting lifting a bit lately just getting into a proper gym routine going a good amount and staying focused but I'm not sure where to start weight wise and what I should be taking supplement wise.. any suggestions?

I'm about 5'10 and weigh around 175lbs and have never really been lifting much in my life but am really starting to enjoy it and am becoming addicted to it but i don't wanna hurt myself or push myself too quick too fast..

any advice = win :)

greggo
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm 24, 5'10, and range from 150-160 (after some MMA training sessions, I get real low in the 150s). I started lifting when I was 16, about 85-95 pounds primarily as a way to start sizing up as a small person. I've been my own personal "Will this work" training regimen, and have tried tons of exercises and what not.

Some of my personal bests are 245 x3 on flat bench, 100 lb dumbells x5 reps for flat bench, 245 on deadlifts, and about 235 on squats (The deadlifts and squats, are all based on 6 reps or more...never tested myself hard on those and I eventually hurt myself on deadlifts).

Only recently with the addition of MMA training to supplement my weight lifting have I found a positive balance and have I seen some incredible results.

mrCrowley
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I absolutely love lifting. I'm a pretty small guy at 5'8" 185 and probably around 4% body fat at 20 years old, but I have made some huge gains since I started lifting about five years ago. I was about 140 lbs and pretty soft. I would estimate that my maxes were probably 95 on bench and clean and 135 on squat and deadlift. Let me tell you, it was hard to stick with lifting being that size and strength, but I stuck it out and made some massive gains. My maxes now are at about 315 for bench, 280 for cleans, 470 on squat, and around 500 on deadlift (that's an estimate since I have recently been supplementing rack pulls for deads). I know these are not phenomenal numbers, but this has all come over a period of about five years during which I was also a three sport athlete (football, wrestling, and track) so I was doing minimal lifting during these seasons. Anycrap, my point is (besides tooting my own horn, ha)that it's not always going to be easy, and you may not progress as quickly as you would like, but it is important to stick with lifting, if not for a sport than for overall health and well being. A good way to do this is to motivate yourself by setting goals and monitoring your progress. Another good motivator is to have a partner that will push you and help make you better. One thing I also want to stress is the gains that can be made using supplements. I know that there is sometimes a sort of stigma associated with supplements. Some may say it is cheating or "they're steroids" but such individuals are either misinformed or just ignorant. The truth is, supplements can help you max out your bodies potential, they can help you get over plateaus, and they can help with recovery and reduction of lactic acid among other things. Now, I'm not advocating pro-hormones or steroids. I have never used any sort of test booster or anabolic steroid and I don't believe anyone should, but with the correct supplementation you can greatly increase your gains. Supplements are by no means a requirement for getting bigger, stronger, faster, in better shape or whatever you aim to do. All you need to do is to lift smart, stick with it, and don't get discouraged. The gains will come and it will feel great when they do because it validates everything you have been working towards.

As long winded as that was, I really only scratched the surface, so if anyone needs some more specific help with workouts, supplementation, or anything else lifting related don't be afraid to ask. I'm always willing to help to the best of my ability.

greggo
09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Prolly the most fundadmental and important rule of lifting is something I recently had to be reminded of because of recent frustrations: Everyone's body takes differently to the lifting. What works for some, might not work for you, you may hafta work 10x harder than the guy next to you to see abs or cuts, there are assholes who can eat fast food all day and lose weight while your cursing him out under your breath while stuffing dry, tasteless tilapia & brown rice down your throat.

lilfella84
02-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Since I began mma/bjj training my coach told me heavy lifting isnt practical so i cut all my heavy lifting and started doing just core training..i really havent lost to much strength and feel more fit and balanced

willpunisher
03-16-2009, 03:16 AM
i been working out since 2003 when i was back in high school. i worked out 5 days straight until 2006 and stopped completely for a year because of work. Came back in 2007 at the begging of the year for 6 months and stopped again. Got back into it again last year on summer and been doing it 6 days a week.. and got this serious bulk up diet going on that i started to gain some lean weight and bulk up.

Tick
04-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Since I began mma/bjj training my coach told me heavy lifting isnt practical so i cut all my heavy lifting and started doing just core training..i really havent lost to much strength and feel more fit and balanced

Look up ross training... Ross Enamait (I spelled that wrong) has worked with alot of professional fighters (boxing and MMA). His workouts are hard as hell, but work well. They are built around "functional" musle.

jakeymadball
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
At 35 I've been weight training half my life. I love lifting, I'm not sure that I could ever stop.

I used to lift heavy in real abrieviated sessions concentrating on two or three exercises at a time - all compound lifts:

Snatch
Deadlift
Trap bar Deadlift
Squat
Clean & press
Dumbell bench.

I also used to do a lot of heavy sandbag lifting & farmers' walk & yoke carry/walk.

A serious case of sciatica put an end to all that. I now lift twice a week - one heavy-ish, one a barbell complex as recommended in Martin Rooney's book.

I now train more for the benefit I get when grappling & use a lot of fairly specific exercises that I have copied/learnt from guys like Ross Enamait, Into Combat, etc. I have felt a good increase in power & some explosiveness following this. Recently I've been very interested/impressed by the DeFranco stuff, well worth looking at.

ashgray2
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I do some weight training here. I spend 3-4 hours of weight lifting to develop my muscles. I have won many competition in weight lifting. I'm also a gym instructor. If any one likes to have a good body you can ask me some programs.

CrossFitter
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
CrossFit is the MOST practical and all inclusive programming out there. It is "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movements." From slow heavy lifting to fast explosive workouts, everything maintains full rang of motion (ROM) because it is the safest and most functional way the human body can move.