PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson trying to LEGALLY change his name to Chad Ocho Cinco!

bigsmooth696969
08-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I overheard this at training camp on Monday but tonight on WLWT News 5 in Cincinnati, they confirmed he is trying to legally change his name to Chad Ocho Cinco in Florida. WTF happens if he gets traded and 85 is already taken?

hunterkiller
08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I overheard this at training camp on Monday but tonight on WLWT News 5 in Cincinnati, they confirmed he is trying to legally change his name to Chad Ocho Cinco in Florida. WTF happens if he gets traded and 85 is already taken?

He's easily a top 5 receiver in the league. If he switches teams and a player there has 85 already, he pays for the jersey. It's that simple. There aren't any other BIG NAME 85's in the league so it's not an issue.

It's going to be more though than just changing his name. He's likely going to have to dish out some money to Reebok. They have lots of Johnson 85 jerseys and won't just take a loss on them to reprint new jerseys.

Jerry Porter of the Jacksonville Jaguars, formerly of the Oakland Raiders was going to switch from his 84 to another jersey number for last season with the Raiders to get a "new beginning" and was informed by Reebok that if he did so, he would have to pay production costs for the Porter 84 jerseys in circulation so that they could print new jerseys. He declined.

bigsmooth696969
08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
He's easily a top 5 receiver in the league. If he switches teams and a player there has 85 already, he pays for the jersey. It's that simple. There aren't any other BIG NAME 85's in the league so it's not an issue.

It's going to be more though than just changing his name. He's likely going to have to dish out some money to Reebok. They have lots of Johnson 85 jerseys and won't just take a loss on them to reprint new jerseys.

Jerry Porter of the Jacksonville Jaguars, formerly of the Oakland Raiders was going to switch from his 84 to another jersey number for last season with the Raiders to get a "new beginning" and was informed by Reebok that if he did so, he would have to pay production costs for the Porter 84 jerseys in circulation so that they could print new jerseys. He declined.

I never knew that. Maybe they would be easier with Chad since his jersey sells way more than Jerry Porter's does. I'll rep you after I spread some around.

hunterkiller
08-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I never knew that. Maybe they would be easier with Chad since his jersey sells way more than Jerry Porter's does. I'll rep you after I spread some around.

Actually, it would be because Johnson sells more jerseys that they would want some cash to change them because there would have been a ton more jerseys manufactured that would have to be recalled and remade.

Who do you ever see with a Porter jersey? Now compare that to Johnson's jerseys. Reebok just won't let that go away.

It's funny though because Chad Johnson was on NFL Network a few months back during his "holdout/demand for a trade" and he said, "wouldn't I look good in silver and black?" I nearly choked on my soda because it would be a dream come true to get my favorite WR to my favorite team.

bigsmooth696969
08-14-2008, 01:51 AM
I am glad that the Bengals held their ground and basically told him to go screw himself. I love 85 and think he is a stud WR but in this case, the team was 100% correct.

hunterkiller
08-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I am glad that the Bengals held their ground and basically told him to go screw himself. I love 85 and think he is a stud WR but in this case, the team was 100% correct.

Normally I would agree when it comes to pre-madonna athletes but in Chad's case, he wasn't after more money or a new contract. He just didn't like playing for the Bengals and their staff anymore. Not once did he mention money. He just said he didn't want to play there anymore. It's no secret him and Marvin Lewis don't see eye to eye.

bigsmooth696969
08-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Normally I would agree when it comes to pre-madonna athletes but in Chad's case, he wasn't after more money or a new contract. He just didn't like playing for the Bengals and their staff anymore. Not once did he mention money. He just said he didn't want to play there anymore. It's no secret him and Marvin Lewis don't see eye to eye.

He was upset over his contract. The fact that he had career numbers and was still under contract for 3 more years. I do believe he isn't even in the top 5 salary wise now that TO and Fitzgerald and Moss got new deals. I believe he should be paid but, he signed the contract...honor it.

He was also upset that the Bengals didn't do more in the off season personel wise. He wanted a new O coordinator and wanted more plays designed around him. I believe he makes TJ what he is. I can remember TJ as a rookie and second year player. He lost the Bengals 3 games because he couldn't handle a punt. Chad draws the double, leaving TJ in man.

Frag x 3
08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't see how Reebok could be angry or vindictive if Johnson changed his name. It's legal matters, not just a number switch. Just think about how many MORE fans replaced their Kobe Bryant "8" jersey with the Kobe Bryant "24" jersey. They're making that money, too.

bigsmooth696969
08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Hell yeah! And in these days, the old jerseys become throwbacks! My boy has a Griffey Jr Reds authentic jersey and refuses to wear it since he got traded. I told him that for $249.99 he better wear that fucking jersey. I tried to explain thorwback to him but he was lost. He actually thinks that there is still a guy named Bo Jackson who plays for the Royals, White Sox, Raiders, and Auburn Tigers all at the same time.

riggs
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I got the baby blue Bo Jackson Royals jersey. Best $250 ever spent

hunterkiller
08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
He was upset over his contract. The fact that he had career numbers and was still under contract for 3 more years. I do believe he isn't even in the top 5 salary wise now that TO and Fitzgerald and Moss got new deals. I believe he should be paid but, he signed the contract...honor it.

He was also upset that the Bengals didn't do more in the off season personel wise. He wanted a new O coordinator and wanted more plays designed around him. I believe he makes TJ what he is. I can remember TJ as a rookie and second year player. He lost the Bengals 3 games because he couldn't handle a punt. Chad draws the double, leaving TJ in man.

Show me one quote or one shred of evidence where he asked for more money. He justed signed a huge extension less than 2 years ago with all the money he wanted. Every interview I saw him do, all he wanted was out from under Marvin Lewis and his coaching staff.

bigsmooth696969
08-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Show me one quote or one shred of evidence where he asked for more money. He justed signed a huge extension less than 2 years ago with all the money he wanted. Every interview I saw him do, all he wanted was out from under Marvin Lewis and his coaching staff.

Let me find it. I know he did many interviews with local tv stations and he mentioned it quite often.

Edit: ok I think I misunderstood what he said. He said he was the top WR in football over the past 5 years and wasn't even paid in the top 5. He said how can you expect him to be happy when the team wont even acknowledge that.

hunterkiller
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Let me find it. I know he did many interviews with local tv stations and he mentioned it quite often.

Edit: ok I think I misunderstood what he said. He said he was the top WR in football over the past 5 years and wasn't even paid in the top 5. He said how can you expect him to be happy when the team wont even acknowledge that.

Yea, I watch NFL Network everyday and he was on NFL Total Access several times. They asked him all the issues that he had with the Bengals and he went down the list and not once was money mentioned. He even said that his money wasn't an issue, he just didn't feel welcome in Cincinatti and felt like his rift with management was beyond repair.

In all fairness, and I'm a Bengals fan, the Bengals coaching staff and management have let so much stuff happen that I don't much blame him. Chad's a good guy and his team if full of miscreants and the Bengals are constantly being referred to as a team of felons. The inmates are definitely running the asylum over there and it's hard to fathom them winning any significant playoff games with that much dysfunction going on.

I think Chad's at a point where he's made his money and like Randy Moss, now he wants a Super Bowl Ring.

bigsmooth696969
08-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Yea, I watch NFL Network everyday and he was on NFL Total Access several times. They asked him all the issues that he had with the Bengals and he went down the list and not once was money mentioned. He even said that his money wasn't an issue, he just didn't feel welcome in Cincinatti and felt like his rift with management was beyond repair.

In all fairness, and I'm a Bengals fan, the Bengals coaching staff and management have let so much stuff happen that I don't much blame him. Chad's a good guy and his team if full of miscreants and the Bengals are constantly being referred to as a team of felons. The inmates are definitely running the asylum over there and it's hard to fathom them winning any significant playoff games with that much dysfunction going on.

I think Chad's at a point where he's made his money and like Randy Moss, now he wants a Super Bowl Ring.

In all fairness, they cut the 2 biggest fuck ups they had in Chris Henry and O'Dell Thurman. They could have been stars but had to be stupid asses!