PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Gives Shoney Respect

Boo
10-20-2006, 05:47 AM
From the looks of this episode the only one who didn't underestimate Shoney Carter was Matt Hughes. Anyone surprised by that?

I thought it was a good fight. I agree with the decision, but Serra sure didn't dominate the way the majority expected. Shoney's experience really showed. I can't believe he landed that backfist...sweet :grinsmile1:

TNC
10-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Honestly, I really have trouble accepting a comment from Hughes as a compliment. He is a known asshole, look how he tried to start a fight between Serra and that Training herb. I think he said that because he thinks he can take Shonie a bit easier than most other fighters.

Transworld
10-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I used to like Hughes before; but now he has become a D__K head... He needs to another loss on his record.

Boo
10-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Honestly, I really have trouble accepting a comment from Hughes as a compliment. He is a known asshole, look how he tried to start a fight between Serra and that Training herb. I think he said that because he thinks he can take Shonie a bit easier than most other fighters.
Even if he did think that Shonie would be an easier fight for him, why would that be any incentive for him to say he thought those guys were underestimating Shonie? It's not like Hughes making that up is going to have any influence at all on who wins or loses. Hell, they didn't even know about it until it aired tonight.

I've got a personal reason for immediately taking what Matt said as sincere. After TUF 2 started I talked with Matt about Luke Cummo. It was right after Luke's fight aired. Matt acted just like he did on the show tonight. He starting telling me how he had a lot of faith in Luke and thought everyone had completely underestimated him and he wasn't at all surprised with how well he did in his first fight. He was very enthusiastic about it. Anyway, that's my take on things...

As for him trying to start a fight between Laimon and Serra. He was trying to get them to roll. I wanted to see them go at it too. A couple of exceptional BJJ guys, come on. The thing that set Serra off was Laimon making a point of telling Serra how pleased he was with Hughes dominating Royce. Hughes didn't have anything to do with that. If you remember, Hughes wasn't even sitting there talking with Laimon anymore. He's was way out of the picture. Laimon did that purposely to get under Serra's skin. Watch it again if you don't believe me.

AJL416AZ
10-20-2006, 08:58 AM
i disagree that Shonie would be easier for Hughes

i think he may easily be the most dangerous, simply because the guy has KO power, and somehow escapes fuckin' everything. if Serra couldnt RNC him the multiple times he had double hooks, i dont know what the hell will stop him

Boo
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM

i think he may easily be the most dangerous, simply because the guy has KO power, and somehow escapes fuckin' everything. if Serra couldnt RNC him the multiple times he had double hooks, i dont know what the hell will stop him
Completely agree. Shonie also managed to to stand back up every freakin time only without using the fence ala Liddell.

TN94z
10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah but Shonie wouldn't be able to stand up that easy with Hughes on him. I think there is a pretty big difference between a BJJ guy trying to keep Shonie on the ground and a collegiate wrestler trying to keep Shonie on the ground. Hughes could take Shonie down easily and GNP him no problem.

On the Serra/Laimon deal, Hughes was just trying to get them to roll. Obviously he was agging it on, but who wouldn't be. I mean they have been bickering about each other's styles since the beginning of the show. I think Hughes is pretty much just saying, put your skills where your mouth is. But I am really impressed by Serra saying all that to Laimon's face instead of just behind his back. Laimon didn't really know what to say.

AJL416AZ
10-20-2006, 04:15 PM
i really wanted to see them roll to be honest. i've seen Serra roll on ADCC tapes where he tapped out Gomi, but thats it.
i thought Hughes was funny during this episode, i would have tried to get them to roll to

the best was after Serra's outburst, Matt was just like "so... you guys gonna roll now?"

i think Shonie would probably the strangest matchup with Hughes not because he has all these tools to win, but because somehow he just gets around to getting punished without being finished.

TN94z
10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
the best was after Serra's outburst, Matt was just like "so... you guys gonna roll now?"

I was rolling when I heard him say that. He was acting just like some of my buddies used to. That was so funny.

Boo
10-20-2006, 05:04 PM
TN94z and AJL416AZ
Damn, thanks you guys. I was being to think I was the only one. I was hoping to see Serra and Laimon roll too.

I've been reading (in this forum and others) people going on about Hughes. I thought he was funny this episode too. You're right, the "so are you going to roll now?" comment cracked me up.

Hell, my friends/family and I razz each other unmercifully and it's all it good fun. My Dad has given me more shit than anyone I know. Maybe I just have a thicker skin than most or something, but some people react like a bunch of sensitive little girls to a bit of teasing.

AJL416AZ: you got that right about Shonie being the strangest matchup for Hughes. I've seen Shonie in a lot of fights outside the UFC too and I can picture Hughes watching Shonies tapes mumbling....wiley mo fo...under his breath. Serra, I just can't see him being any serious competition for Hughes. Maybe 5-10 years ago, but not now.

A big mistake I think they made with TUF 4 is not having more structured coaching like they have in past TUFs. Letting these guys stay in their comfort zone and not changing up their training regime was not what I pictured going into the season.

duran
10-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I almost got the impression that Hughes does not particularly care for Laimon. He also saw how easy it was to get Serra all wound up about it. I think it was funny. My buddy does that to me all the time. All he has to do is casually (on purpose) mention the name of one or two guys who I don't care for professionally, and it turns a switch on and I go off and recite all the stupid shit these guys have done and how we could cure cancer with all the money we would make with a charity boxing match with me and these fuks as the main event. Geez, I'm not bitter, am I???

I don't think Hughes was being an asshole at all. He wasn't trying to start a bar fight, he wanted to see those guys roll right there in the training center for himself and for the TV audience. That would have been the best reality TV ever, and Hughes would have been smiling like a Cheshire cat outside the cage.

TN94z
10-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree with you about the training situation. I mean they need someone to really push them. Just because they are already fighters that have been there doesn't mean that they don't need someone to push them.

I also agree with you that Serra is not ready for Hughes. He is good but not on that level yet. Shonie would be a tougher fight than Serra for Hughes. Because Serra already wants to take it to the ground which puts Hughes right in his GNP game. Shonie on the other hand doesn't want to be on the ground so he would be tougher to keep down. But i do think that Hughes would just walk through Shonie.

Boo
10-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree with you about the training situation. I mean they need someone to really push them. Just because they are already fighters that have been there doesn't mean that they don't need someone to push them.

Also, these guys have already for some reason or another fallen off the UFC map. Before the season started I pictured something completely different. I thought they would bring in expert coaches from various disciplines and evaluate each guys weaknesses. Then work those weaknesses HARD.

Unfortunately, when they have had fighters come in that could be a resource for them, they've let EGO get in the way of using these guys. If it was me, I wouldn't give a shit if I liked a guy or not. I'd be picking their brain on everything I could think of. So far the only one that the TUF guys have got anything from is Liddell, and I think that is all about personality and approachability, plus none of them will potentially be fighting him. Because of all the drama in this last episode, we didn't get to see if they used Hughes much. The only thing we saw was Hughes briefly encouraging Shonie when he was hitting the bag.

I also agree with you that Serra is not ready for Hughes. He is good but not on that level yet. Shonie would be a tougher fight than Serra for Hughes. Because Serra already wants to take it to the ground which puts Hughes right in his GNP game. Shonie on the other hand doesn't want to be on the ground so he would be tougher to keep down. But i do think that Hughes would just walk through Shonie.
No argument here.

Boo
10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I almost got the impression that Hughes does not particularly care for Laimon.
Who does? The guy bugged me back when he was doing "On the Mat with Mark Laimon." The guy comes off as smug ALL THE TIME.

He also saw how easy it was to get Serra all wound up about it. I think it was funny. My buddy does that to me all the time. All he has to do is casually (on purpose) mention the name of one or two guys who I don't care for professionally, and it turns a switch on and I go off and recite all the stupid shit these guys have done and how we could cure cancer with all the money we would make with a charity boxing match with me and these fuks as the main event. Geez, I'm not bitter, am I???

Ummm...would you care to share the name(s) of these guys you don't like. You know, in case things get boring around here and I need some entertainment.

duran
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I will comp you a VIP ringside seat if they ever put together a charity boxing exhibition between me and those fuks!:grinsmile26:

Boo
10-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I will comp you a VIP ringside seat if they ever put together a charity boxing exhibition between me and those fuks!:grinsmile26:
I'm there!!!

Champ85
10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm just finally glad Serra told Laimon off. He was acting like such a dick all season long. I like the way Hughes was just kicking back and watching them go at each other. I would love have love to see Serra roll with Laimon and kick his ass. I agree i don't think Serra is ready for Hughes. Hughes is a better grappler and has more aggressive takedowns. Shoney's got a better stand up game than both Hughes and Serra. But I think Matt would beat Shoney anyway.

Boo
10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
There are a few of us that have been willing to see that Matt Hughes is joking around on TUF, though most of you have jumped on the "Matt Hughes is a dick" bandwagon.

When I read this (below), I couldn't resist. Is it good enough if Matt Serra says it himself, afterall he was there?

Excerpt from Matt Serra's Blog
Now, before I get to our confrontation, allow me to make clear that all of this happened the night before the incident with Matt Hughes and GSP in the restaurant. Tricky editing, as usual, would lead you to believe that this was after the semifinal matchups had been decided. Matt Hughes was playfully trying to get me and Marc to roll jiu-jitsu with each other, and neither of us were biting. I jokingly told him maybe he could see that after the finale, and did my best Ace Ventura impression, yelling “CAN YOU FEEL THAT BUDDY?!” We all had a laugh about that.

duran
10-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Ace "Boo" Ventura, MMA Detective, with the scoop!

Really, how about Laimon v. Serra in an underground bout? Or for the charity of their choice. I would pay.

Boo
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Ace "Boo" Ventura, MMA Detective, with the scoop!

Really, how about Laimon v. Serra in an underground bout? Or for the charity of their choice. I would pay.
I just can't let it go, can I? LOL

I'd pay to watch it too. Maybe your charity boxing match with "the hated ones" could be the undercard.

riggs
10-25-2006, 11:39 PM

he never once had double hooks. He never could get his right leg in thats why shonie rolled out