PDA

View Full Version : K-1?

Punk Ass
08-29-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't know if I forgot, or may be late, but is K1 still around? After Pride's demise, you would think they would pick up the pieces. If they're still in business of course.

king
08-29-2008, 02:40 AM
assuming you're talking about k1 hero's, it dissolved and dream was born

thefirm0
08-29-2008, 02:40 AM
theyre planning a grand prix . ramma posted a list of the finalists yesterday. they've been having events this whole time.

Submissionist
08-29-2008, 02:44 AM
K-1 has two amazing events coming up on Sep 27 and Oct 1st. Bonjasky vs Le Banner should be FOTN.

valheruking
08-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Yeah they're still around lol

atj-lucko
08-29-2008, 03:05 AM
K-1 still around they disbanded their MMA division called "Heros" and joined with the old Pride guys to form Dream.

They just held an event.

Punk Ass
08-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok, thanks guys. They must have really lost some steam though because we would talk about K1 just as much as pride at one time. Obviously it was because of Heros.

smoogy
08-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, there is a subforum strictly for K-1 and kickboxing :)

K-1, Kickboxing - MMA News Forums (http://forums.mmanews.com/k-1-kickboxing/)

It has certainly lowered in profile since the downturn in MMA popularity in Japan, but as far as I know they're still doing strong enough ratings that they will continue to air on television. On a local level, K-1 is still massively popular in many places around the world. they sold 25,000 tickets to their last event in Amsterdam if I recall correctly

crosshearttat
08-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Not sure if this helps but I think it's related. Thanks to Smoogy I just found another legit mma site.

From world-mma.livejournal.com about Ishii, former president to K-1 and now ex-con.

Ishii, who was sent to prison in 2003 on tax evasion and cash concealing charges (upwards of $10 million USD is suspected), is being released from prison, and it was officially announced by FEG head Tanikawa that Ishii is accepted back into business.

It appears he will be put back in charge of administration of the affairs of K-1.

Tanikawa states, "Ishii has not separated himself from the industry, and plans to manage K-1 and change the whole structure of Japanese MMA."

"I met him [he uses the term "director" like "boss] with a feeling like 'you must be really run down.'"

"and we spoke about a lot of things related to the future of K-1. I asked him on what seems like a daily basis what he believes as director that we should do for K-1's future. "

Excerpts:

"It wasn't that I was telling him my ideas, but more like I was listening to all sorts of ideas from the director."

"Now, this fighting world that started in 2000, and all the directions it's gone in, changes that have come, finally it feels like it has come to an end."

"But if we go back to the starting point of the world of MMA, I think we a new start can be made."

* Note: The financial troubles seem to stem from two factors - Yakuza and Mike Tyson. Ishii was so hellbent on having Tyson in K-1, up to $5M USD was spent secretly, and in the end, Tyson never appeared. Some blamed the fact that Tyson was a felon and was not able to get a visa to come to Japan.

More details on everything should emerge soon

Brutus
08-30-2008, 10:08 AM
K-1 has two amazing events coming up on Sep 27 and Oct 1st. Bonjasky vs Le Banner should be FOTN.

I cannot wait for this fight. I don't know who the hell to pick or how the hell it'll end. I guess i'm leaning toward bonjasky but i like lebanner a lot as well. I just wanna see em fight really.

notrightn0w
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
K1 heroes? It's Dream.

valheruking
08-30-2008, 06:00 PM
I think means the regular kickboxing K-1.

A lot of people don't really like it anymore cause it seems like it's the same people every time and Schilt always wins. Thankfully Badr Hari is shaking things up and making things interesting lately, it's good to see a younger guy winning fights against the big name older guys that have been around, he and Ruslan Karaev are younger guys that put on pretty exciting fights, though Karaev has a tendancy to get knocked out every now and then.

Ramma
09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
^^ What he said.

K-1 will have another boom when it gets a few more stars and someone takes out Semmy Schilt (hopefully it happens this month).

Submissionist
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey val who do you like better, Buakaw or Hari?

valheruking
09-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Hey val who do you like better, Buakaw or Hari?
Hari, I think they're both great fighters but in terms of favourites I like Hari more.