PDA

View Full Version : Hari stripped of K1 Title, loses entire purse and his 2nd place spot at WGP

rivethead
12-17-2008, 10:56 AM
K-1 gives punishment to Badr Hari
By Zach Arnold | December 17, 2008

K-1 front man Sadaharu Taniagawa and rule director Nobuaki Kakuda announced that Badr Hari, after his actions in the World GP finals match against Remy Bonjasky at Yokohama Arena on the 6th, would receive punishment from the company. The punishment includes: no fight money (all of it taken away), loss of K-1 Heavyweight title, and loss of stature as 2nd place finisher in this year’s World GP tournament. Regarding a possible suspension of Hari, K-1 management indicated that a new rule may be implemented next year for possible suspension of fighters for DQ fouls in fights.

source: http://www.fightopinion.com/2008/12/17/k-1-gives-punishment-to-badr-hari/

integer
12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Steep punishment, but I'm not entirely sure what Hari did in the first place. Could someone please explain?

JackSilver
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
He headstomped and threw a couple punches at remy while he was on the ground and the ref was over top of him. then the ref tackled hari. hehe

valheruking
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Steep punishment, but I'm not entirely sure what Hari did in the first place. Could someone please explain?
Punched and stomped Remy when he was down.

integer
12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Then the punishment fits the crime. Thanks for the information!

thedon17
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I like the idea of punishment on intentional DQs.

Qball1974
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I like the steep punishment but isn't it illegal to withhold money for services rendered?

rivethead
12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I like the steep punishment but isn't it illegal to withhold money for services rendered?

I think it's in the wording...it's not illegal for a sanctioning body to levey fines in excess of a fighters purse, even in the U.S, although this bout took place in Japan.

I remember something last year about the CSAC fining a fighter $3k for pissing hot for weed, and the guy's purse was something like $500. Gotta love Armando Garcia.

rh

valheruking
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
K-1 isn't a sport either it's an org, there's no sanctioning body or anybody to keep tabs on things like that, they say what goes basically, the "rule director" Nobuaki Kakuda is the guy that reffed that fight. They'll probably put some ground rules in place about things like this after this incident though.

Big Daddy Duker
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Sounds like an appropriate punishment to me. Intentional DQs are poison to the sport, and need to be deterred. I'm guessing Hari wouldn't consider doing this again.

Thaistylist
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know if it was an intentional dq or he just flipped out. Seemed like he was doing fine in the fight and all the sudden a switch got flipped and he thought it was a street fight.

NAL987
12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
His whole fight purse? Man those guys are harsh

Ramma
12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Hari's attitude sucks and he got what he deserved... plain and simple.

The guy has all the talent in the world, but he is so focused on being the "bad boy". I think it is a fair punishment and I am glad it happened.

Cromm
12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
He is lucky he is still allowed to fight for K-1. IMO if that happened in the US they would not have allowed him to fight, everagain in any org..

Dr. MMA
12-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Sportsnoavi reported about FEG's press conference in Tokyo on December 17. In the conference, FEG announced the penalties against Badr Hari's action in K-1 World GP 2008 on December 6.

Sadaharu Tanikawa K-1 event producer:
“After having a meeting with Nobuaki Kakuda rule director, judges and FEG, we decided to give him the heaviest penalties in K-1 history. He is stripped of his heavyweight title and not paid for his participation in K-1 World GP. We don't suspend his license in K-1 because our current rules don't allow us to do that. We are going to modify the rules to allow for suspensions starting 2009. We take back our plan of offering him fights in Dynamite and K-1 event in March. We haven't reached a decision when he comes back. We expect a lot from him. We hope he gets mentally stronger, and regain the title of K-1 champion someday.”

Badr Hari accepted the FEG's decision and made an apology for his action.
“I'm sorry that my action disappointed my fans. I truly regret what I did. I hope I can come back to K-1 ring soon.”

Wow I think stripping him off the title was a little too harsh but I guess they have to set an example someway somehow.

Sakara=Excitement
12-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Can you refresh my mind on what he did? Thanks

atj-lucko
12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow I think stripping him off the title was a little too harsh but I guess they have to set an example someway somehow

If he want to hit people on the ground better start training full time in mma, seems he has no future in K-1, and where else is kickboxing even holding events.

He did a "wandy" or "Shogun" to Remy. Foot stomp to the face, thought he was in Pride.

Mirko45
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Stomped on Remy B's head after knocking him down

Sakara=Excitement
12-17-2008, 06:03 PM
And they stripped him of the title? Damn. You would of thought he raped the dude in the ring or something.

Dr. MMA
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM

Well like everyone said, he stomped Bonjasky in the face after knocking him down. I'll add that he tried to throw a couple punches first while he was on the ground and then added the stomp while the referee was pushing him off.

If he want to hit people on the ground better start training full time in mma, seems he has no future in K-1, and where else is kickboxing even holding events.

If K-1 said that they hope that he regains the title someday that means he's going to be back for sure... the problem is when. I say it's going to be right after the GP in March.

And they stripped him of the title? Damn. You would of thought he raped the dude in the ring or something.

Yea I thought stripping him off the title was too harsh. The title had nothing to do with the GP or the loss. Taking away his pay was enough considering most organization would just take a part of his pay. However, stripping the title from him in a fight that didn't have the title on the line is an extremely harsh penalty.

Dork8503
12-17-2008, 06:22 PM
be funny if he doesn't come back.

he is young, train some mma an go fight there.

they need him more then he needs them

atj-lucko
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
be funny if he doesn't come back.

he is young, train some mma an go fight there.

they need him more then he needs them

True Hari is their future, Aerts, Le Banner and Sefo are'nt getting any younger and Schilt winning all the time is boring and the Japanese can't produce an exciting kickboxer.

jhell
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
What Hari did was pretty low class if you ask me. He brought all this upon himself. I would have really rather seen him fight CroCop than that doofus Hong Man Choi though.

Ramma
12-17-2008, 09:17 PM
^^ That is how I feel about it. It was so uncalled for. It wasn't like Remy even "sort of" disrespected him up until that point. First he punches him on the ground, and then he stomps him. There is no excuse.

TheRipper
12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Reminds me of years back when one of the gracies steped on a guy after the match while still down..damn tempers glad he got punished.