PDA

View Full Version : Klitschko Vs. Calvin Brock

Punk Ass
11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Who's going to win this fight? Their both pretty good, Calvin probably has a better chin and he's undefeated but this is the biggest test of his career. We all know what to expect from KLITSCHKO but this is also the best fighter KLITSCHKO has ever faced IMO.

Opinions?

icemanct
11-02-2006, 12:12 AM
sam peter hits harder then calvin and wladimir proved he could take a shot.to me wladimir is looking like his brother as time goes on.this fight goes like the peter wladimir fight.except brock wont knock him down

Luis Cruz
11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
I think this fight will look more like Byrd vs Wlad more than Wlad vs Peter. Brock's too small and he's going to get owned in this fight. He's going to get peppered with jabs all night and the straight right will begin to follow and it'll hurt him. If Brock makes it the distant i'll be VERY shocked but he'll still lose a clear decision. I say Wlad by TKO somewhere in the mid rounds, about 8 or 9.

JimmyMoore
11-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I agree. I dont think Brock will get around Klitschko's jab and that straight right is nasty. I know Brock in undefeated, but he's been overhyped in a heavyweight division seriously lacking in talent. I'd say Klitschko by KO around rd. 5.

Afro
11-02-2006, 12:37 AM
im gonna be bold and say, Brock will get owned for ohh lets say 8 rounds, and by round 9 he'll land a shot and knock Klisch out clean.

Punk Ass
11-02-2006, 02:16 AM
im gonna be bold and say, Brock will get owned for ohh lets say 8 rounds, and by round 9 he'll land a shot and knock Klisch out clean.

I like your bold statements. The whole point is I think Brock is probably the best fighter he's faced. If brock can hang in there with Wlad I think he has a chance. But that remains to be seen.

BTW I would love to see Brock fight Peter. I think Brock should fight top fighters before they just give him a title shot.

Luis Cruz
11-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Brock won't have the power, i think, because of his leverage disadvantage. It's going to take him too much to get in and land, i don't think he'll ever have Wlad in any trouble.

I also disagree with this being his toughest fight or opponent. Peter is a much higher caliber opponent than Brock and so is Brewster. Like someone else said Brock is very overrated in a weak division and this fight will expose that.

Matt Boone
11-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Klitschko. I liked Brock a few fights ago, but ever since I've started to think he's overrated.

Dork8503
11-02-2006, 10:01 AM
After watching brocks last fight , i saw that he was over hyped, he wasnt impressive but he was very boring, i say Klitschko will knock him out by the 4th, Peter couldnt knock him out and hes a hard hitting man, so brock isnt going to knock him out but there is always a punchers chance, but id be really surprised if this goes past 9. i wish Klitschko would have chose to fight another champ because as it stands that 7 foot guy, i cant remember his name is not very good, i watched his last fight and he was getting rocked but barrett couldnt throw a good enough combo to finish him off and barrett isnt a ko puncher imo, so Klitschko would take that title and i dont see maskeav holding onto his title for very long either, and i dont really no much about the other, right now peter and Klitschko have the best shot to grab all 4

Punk Ass
11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Brock won't have the power, i think, because of his leverage disadvantage. It's going to take him too much to get in and land, i don't think he'll ever have Wlad in any trouble.

I also disagree with this being his toughest fight or opponent. Peter is a much higher caliber opponent than Brock and so is Brewster. Like someone else said Brock is very overrated in a weak division and this fight will expose that.

I forgot Wlad fought Peter. Ok I agree this won't be his toughest fight. I think Wlad will definately win now because I really don't see brock surviving a fight with Peter. Tried to give Brock some kind of benifit of the doubt.

Dork8503
11-03-2006, 08:54 PM
right now wlad is hands down the best hw right now, peter is a good second but right now wlad is the best

JimmyMoore
11-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Damn. Wlad's English has improved SO much since he first came over. Smart kid.

Afro
11-12-2006, 05:15 AM

Ya I didnt know he was 5 inches taller with what a 4 inch reach advantage?

Oh well, im not gonna back down from my predicition.. I like Wlad is the much better boxer, and has a wonderful boxing skills but he doesnt have a chin, he has glass and that makes him a liability.

Afro
11-12-2006, 05:46 AM
as soon as the fight Started I had a feelin that was gonna happen, Calvin looked so unbalanced and sloppy I shoulda changed my prediction.

JimmyMoore
11-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Yeah, he never really settled down. It would have been over sooner if Klitschko's skittish ass would have started throwing his right before the 6th round.

JimmyMoore
11-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Jesus Christ, I wish Larry Merchant would die already and save us from his babbling old man stories.

Afro
11-12-2006, 06:00 AM
This KO mighta been the best of the night, I know Smith's had an awesome story behind it but Kltisch knocked Brock's block off.

Luis Cruz
11-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I think this fight will look more like Byrd vs Wlad more than Wlad vs Peter. Brock's too small and he's going to get owned in this fight. He's going to get peppered with jabs all night and the straight right will begin to follow and it'll hurt him. If Brock makes it the distant i'll be VERY shocked but he'll still lose a clear decision. I say Wlad by TKO somewhere in the mid rounds, about 8 or 9.

Later Post- Brock won't have the power, i think, because of his leverage disadvantage. It's going to take him too much to get in and land, i don't think he'll ever have Wlad in any trouble.

Only a round off and damn right on. Brock did well early cause Wlad was tentative to throw so he was able to get some decent body shots but that's it. That's a prediction baby, detailed and on point! :devil:

Brock vs Brigg....bring it on we seen you in the crowd Briggs! Not so much a size advantage for Wlad in that fight, could spell big trouble if he gets caught with one of those bombs, his jaw might get shattered. BUT if Briggs fights barely throwing like his last fight he'll get peppered with jabs also all night and give up a decision or get stopped the same way. Either way something needs to happen with these titles coming together, everyone wants to be unified champ but nobodies signing the contract?!

Greenish
11-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Jesus Christ, I wish Larry Merchant would die already and save us from his babbling old man stories.

hehe, Lampey having to tell him to pick up his mic was fun stuff :D

Although I've admit I like how Merchant don't hesitate to ask uncomfortable questions, like with PBF last week

Matt Boone
11-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Klitschko. I liked Brock a few fights ago, but ever since I've started to think he's overrated.

Ding, dong. My boxing picks record has got to be getting at a nasty percentage.

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Ding, dong. My boxing picks record has got to be getting at a nasty percentage.

Come on anyone can pick this guy or that guy, get detailed that's impressive! :afro: You did better last time.

Matt Boone
11-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah but I pretty much had your take, outside the very specifics you did like breaking down specific techniques, not just the style advantages when talking with friends over here betting on it amongst each other while I sat in the other room and watched TUF 4 finale. I downloaded the video after though, Brock was exposed as one of the best things in boxing's Heavyweight division, and despite the DISGUSTINGLY awesome knockout that ended the fight - I don't think Klitschko comes out of it much more thought of than he was going into it. He's good when he's winning, he hates to get hit, sometimes is over-tenative and conservative (like Lennox), and when things get rough he doesn't last unless things cool down before he's unconscious on his back. People will still question him when he fights any top-level guys, and people will still argue him as the clear-cut best title holder in the division, even though percentage wise I'm sure he's considered so (but was before this fight anyway).

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 11:18 AM
That ko was the shit, flat on his face no questions asked, gooooooodnight suzie!

Manny did teach Wlad how to jab and box A LOT better so he is a level over what he use to be before Manny came along. He's rightfully the reconzied champ for now but it still isn't saying much. I don't really remember where Brock was, but i believe he was ranked like #8 in the division before this fight which is pretty accurate. He actually started better than i thought he'd do, he was doing some good body work that might've paid off later had it went on. Reach was too much though, oh well. Let's unify this bum division please!

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
That ko was the shit, flat on his face no questions asked, gooooooodnight suzie!

Manny did teach Wlad how to jab and box A LOT better so he is a level over what he use to be before Manny came along. He's rightfully the reconzied champ for now but it still isn't saying much. I don't really remember where Brock was, but i believe he was ranked like #8 in the division before this fight which is pretty accurate. He actually started better than i thought he'd do, he was doing some good body work that might've paid off later had it went on. Reach was too much though, oh well. Let's unify this bum division please!

Manny hasn't taught Wlad jack squat that he didn't already know before. The only thing Manny has taught Wlad is how to clinch in a dangerous situation. Wlad already knew how to smash somebody's face in with both hands. All you need to do is watch the Ray Mercer fight from June 2002 and see Wlad throw an incredible arsenal of punches both as offense and defense, with minimal holding.
If that version of Wlad fought Brock this past Saturday, Brock would've been toast within 2 rounds. But Wlad fought like crap for the first 4 rounds, all cautious, one punch at a time, defensive and clinching like hell and not fighting tall the way a guy of his size is supposed to do.
I don't buy Wlad's 'improved skills' theory. He's the same fighter but alot more cautious and clinching alot more too.

icemanct
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Manny hasn't taught Wlad jack squat that he didn't already know before. The only thing Manny has taught Wlad is how to clinch in a dangerous situation. Wlad already knew how to smash somebody's face in with both hands. All you need to do is watch the Ray Mercer fight from June 2002 and see Wlad throw an incredible arsenal of punches both as offense and defense, with minimal holding.
If that version of Wlad fought Brock this past Saturday, Brock would've been toast within 2 rounds. But Wlad fought like crap for the first 4 rounds, all cautious, one punch at a time, defensive and clinching like hell and not fighting tall the way a guy of his size is supposed to do.
I don't buy Wlad's 'improved skills' theory. He's the same fighter but alot more cautious and clinching alot more too.you need to go watch the wlad vs. cory sanders fight then you'll see the improvent in his boxing

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't buy Wlad's 'improved skills' theory. He's the same fighter but alot more cautious and clinching alot more too.

Are you crazy?! The whole reason he's successful now is because he utilizes his jab to setup his other punches, mainly the straight right. That was nonexistant before Manny came along. He was just a wild throwing hard puncher before that had little to no defense (hense his ko losses). He could get away with that with a VERY washed up Mercer, nothing to brag about there. Yea he was cautious for a little in the beginning but he boxed smart and got the ko IMPRESSIVELY. There's no time limit on how quick you should ko someone as long as you get the job done, it's about being smart. Brock has decent power and Wlad DID fight tall which is why it took so much for Brock to come in and land a clean shot upstairs which he wasn't successful at anytime in the fight. Did you see the numbers for jabs thrown and landed for Wlad??? Incredible for a heavyweight. It's no theory, he is vastly improved as a fighter because of Manny and anyone that's followed him will tell you the same thing, it's not even close. I think you need to go back and watch some footage of his old fights and newer fights since Manny took over because you're obviously not watching the same fighter. Had that Wlad came in to fight Peter he would've been ko'd within 5 rounds, i guarentee it.

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
you need to go watch the wlad vs. cory sanders fight then you'll see the improvent in his boxing

Dude, there's no certainty that Wlad wouldn't get the sh*t kicked out of him if Corrie Sanders got in decent shape and stepped in the ring with him again tomorrow. It's more to do with the type of opposition he's been fighting, as opposed to his sharpened skills. It's not unfathomable that he could get dropped on his ass at anytime, like Davarryl Williamson did to him, not to mention Sam Peter and Corrie Sanders.
I still think Wlad has much more improvement to make. We can't just go jumping back on the bandwagon just because of 2-3 good wins over some guys who measure up to his nipples, size wise.
There are alot of flaws in his game that still could get him into trouble. He's gonna have to fight a Lennox Lewis/Corrie Sanders type of fighter soon enough and that's when we'll know truly just how much improved he really is. Then again, I can't even think of a really good heavyweight out there really.

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Are you crazy?! The whole reason he's successful now is because he utilizes his jab to setup his other punches, mainly the straight right. That was nonexistant before Manny came along. He was just a wild throwing hard puncher before that had little to no defense (hense his ko losses). He could get away with that with a VERY washed up Mercer, nothing to brag about there. Yea he was cautious for a little in the beginning but he boxed smart and got the ko IMPRESSIVELY. There's no time limit on how quick you should ko someone as long as you get the job done, it's about being smart. Brock has decent power and Wlad DID fight tall which is why it took so much for Brock to come in and land a clean shot upstairs which he wasn't successful at anytime in the fight. Did you see the numbers for jabs thrown and landed for Wlad??? Incredible for a heavyweight. It's no theory, he is vastly improved as a fighter because of Manny and anyone that's followed him will tell you the same thing, it's not even close. I think you need to go back and watch some footage of his old fights and newer fights since Manny took over because you're obviously not watching the same fighter. Had that Wlad came in to fight Peter he would've been ko'd within 5 rounds, i guarentee it.

If you watched his earlier fights, you saw that his thudding jab was always excellent and he always threw a 1-2. Left jab followed by straight right. Manny Steward didn't teach Wlad anything on the jab/right hand. Wlad threw 57 jabs in round 5 which is very high. But with his stamina problems, do you think he could throw that many jabs over a 12 round fight? He tried to do that against Brewster, landing jab after jab, right hand after right hand and gassed out within 5 rounds and blamed it on vaseline covering the pores on his shins. LOL!
Come on, let's just wait a little bit before riding the Wlad jock again.
By the way, Manny was already working with Wlad when Wlad fought Peter and he still fought the same way in that fight than he did against Calvin Brock. No difference. You're just fooling yourself Luis by thinking there's vast improvement. There isn't. The only difference is that Sam Peter was a bull who could take an atomic bomb to the chin and shake it off like nothing whereas Calvin Brock is made of a pretty sturdy but still somewhat glass type of chin.

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
If you watched his earlier fights, you saw that his thudding jab was always excellent and he always threw a 1-2. Left jab followed by straight right. Manny Steward didn't teach Wlad anything on the jab/right hand. Wlad threw 57 jabs in round 5 which is very high. But with his stamina problems, do you think he could throw that many jabs over a 12 round fight? He tried to do that against Brewster, landing jab after jab, right hand after right hand and gassed out within 5 rounds and blamed it on vaseline covering the pores on his shins. LOL!
Come on, let's just wait a little bit before riding the Wlad jock again.
By the way, Manny was already working with Wlad when Wlad fought Peter and he still fought the same way in that fight than he did against Calvin Brock. No difference. You're just fooling yourself Luis by thinking there's vast improvement. There isn't. The only difference is that Sam Peter was a bull who could take an atomic bomb to the chin and shake it off like nothing whereas Calvin Brock is made of a pretty sturdy but still somewhat glass type of chin.

Who the hell is riding his jock, i don't even like him. lol He's the best in a weak division right now, that's a fact. You're mistaken if you think his Brewster performance was the same as today, do you know what a jab is suppose to look like?? BIG difference in his offense than before you gotta be blind not to see it (he didn't put punches together like he does now he threw all haymakers trying to end it along with no defense).

I know he was with Manny when he fought Peter that's why i said if he wasn't he would've gotten ko'd within 5 rounds...that made no sense to bring that up. I guess the Peter fight wasn't enough to show you he can go a pretty strong 12 rounds UTILIZING his jab to control the fight from the outside while taking a hard shot every now and then. He almost ko'd Peter in the 11th (which makes your argument, that he can't, proven wrong already). I really don't believe you seen many of his fights pre Steward era or you wouldn't even be arguing this and KNOW that his offense AND defense is much improved. I still don't think he's some great fighter, never have never will. He's just good with the weak competition around him.

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Who the hell is riding his jock, i don't even like him. lol He's the best in a weak division right now, that's a fact. You're mistaken if you think his Brewster performance was the same as today, do you know what a jab is suppose to look like?? BIG difference in his offense than before you gotta be blind not to see it (he didn't put punches together like he does now he threw all haymakers trying to end it along with no defense).

I know he was with Manny when he fought Peter that's why i said if he wasn't he would've gotten ko'd within 5 rounds...that made no sense to bring that up. I guess the Peter fight wasn't enough to show you he can go a pretty strong 12 rounds UTILIZING his jab to control the fight from the outside while taking a hard shot every now and then. He almost ko'd Peter in the 11th (which makes your argument, that he can't, proven wrong already). I really don't believe you seen many of his fights pre Steward era or you wouldn't even be arguing this and KNOW that his offense AND defense is much improved. I still don't think he's some great fighter, never have never will. He's just good with the weak competition around him.

Actually, he shook Peter in the 12th round, but still was reluctant to go for the kill which is understandable. As for Peter, I guess you can get a little woozy when you've eaten about 200 jabs and 120 straight right hands to the face after 12 rounds, no matter how strong your chin is.
As for Wlad's improvements, I've seen him put on sweet performances in his earlier career, and maybe he's fine tuned a bit with his offense/defense under Manny but his clinching habits have multiplied.
But then again, there's a saying "You're only as good as your last performance!"
Wlad is on a high with umpteen wins, his last defeat being against Brewster over 2 1/2 years ago.

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Actually, he shook Peter in the 12th round, but still was reluctant to go for the kill which is understandable. As for Peter, I guess you can get a little woozy when you've eaten about 200 jabs and 120 straight right hands to the face after 12 rounds, no matter how strong your chin is.
As for Wlad's improvements, I've seen him put on sweet performances in his earlier career, and maybe he's fine tuned a bit with his offense/defense under Manny but his clinching habits have multiplied.
But then again, there's a saying "You're only as good as your last performance!"
Wlad is on a high with umpteen wins, his last defeat being against Brewster over 2 1/2 years ago.

I really believe it was the 11th round Peter was almost ko'd. Yea Peter took a lot of shots but it was a brutal right that landed that wobbled him for a bit. He has a hell of a chin but Wlad still was throwing hard shots that late in the fight, so he had cardio, which would be another improvement in his game as of late. Yea he does clinch more but it's not like it's a Ruiz style of fighting with clinching. He clinches when it's smart to clinch not enough to make the fight boring. Manny put that in his defense because in the past when he was hurt he was completely lost and didn't know what to do so he got teed off on. Now he clinches if someone is in range to expose his glass jaw (his biggest weakness) or if he gets caught. That's smart fighting, another plus having Manny.