PDA

View Full Version : GSP Open For Return To ADCC

killerinstinct
01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Back in 2005, Georges St. Pierre was only 4 fights into his legendary UFC career. Little did the Abu Dhabi Combat Club know what kind of future star they would feature when GSP entered the 2005 competition in the 66 to 76kg weight class on short notice when invited to the tournament.

In his first round match-up, St. Pierre out wrestled and used superior technique to defeat Otto Olson on points. His next bout against Leo Santos didn't go as well as the Canadian was forced to tap out after getting caught in an armbar.

Since that time, St. Pierre has gone on to become a 2x UFC welterweight champion while also gaining fame as possibly the top pound for pound fighter in the sport of mixed martial arts.

Regardless of titles or accomplishments, St. Pierre is a competitor and he said during a recent interview with MMAWeekly Radio that if the timing worked out, he'd love the chance to compete in the Abu Dhabi tournament again in the future.

"If I have time and the timing is good, I will do it, of course I will," St. Pierre said. "I love competition, I'm a true mixed martial arts man, and I don't only like MMA. I like grappling, I like wrestling, I like jiu-jitsu, I like Muay Thai, I like everything. But of course my main job is MMA."

Many other top MMA stars still compete regularly in grappling tournaments and a great many of them are expected at this year's Abu Dhabi championships. If timing worked out, St. Pierre would be a huge addition to the show.

And just like everything else GSP puts his mind to, he'd probably be a force in the tournament as well.

source: MMA Insider Blog - MMAWEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Rumors, Videos, Photos, Rankings & more (http://www.mmaweekly.com/blog/2009/01/gsp-open-for-return-to-adcc.asp)

CRisCO
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Dana wont allow it

b1uef1ow
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Actually Dana has let many UFC fighters compete in ADCC with no issues whatsoever.

CRisCO
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Actually Dana has let many UFC fighters compete in ADCC with no issues whatsoever.

Not his steam rolling of a WW champ. He won't risk GSP getting subbed in 20 seconds, he is too well known now.

Repenter
04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
come oooooooon gsp vs. maia :P

b1uef1ow
04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Not his steam rolling of a WW champ. He won't risk GSP getting subbed in 20 seconds, he is too well known now.

What are you talking about ADCC is not MMA.

CRisCO
04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
What are you talking about ADCC is not MMA.

It doesn't matter. Any sort of combat sport lose is bad for a champ.

That's like saying boxing isn't MMA let A. Silva go and box RJJ while he is still the MW champ.

initial_zen
04-22-2009, 03:13 AM
It doesn't matter. Any sort of combat sport lose is bad for a champ.

That's like saying boxing isn't MMA let A. Silva go and box RJJ while he is still the MW champ.

boxing competes with mma that why... grappling does not compete with mma for fans, at least not a noticeable margin. when have you ever seen adcc, or any other grappling org for that matter, market by itself saying rashad evans, or who ever wouldnt, last 5 minutes with one of their grappling champions etc. its not like if gsp loses, adcc will say ufc fighters arent even good at jiu jitsu blah balh blah. look at demian maia and dean lister they compete in both

CRisCO
04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
boxing competes with mma that why... grappling does not compete with mma for fans, at least not a noticeable margin. when have you ever seen adcc, or any other grappling org for that matter, market by itself saying rashad evans, or who ever wouldnt, last 5 minutes with one of their grappling champions etc. its not like if gsp loses, adcc will say ufc fighters arent even good at jiu jitsu blah balh blah. look at demian maia and dean lister they compete in both

So by your logic what was the problem with letting Fedor compete in Sambo?

whitealexander
04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
well technically he does not lose on MMA so he's still a champ..
but i completely agree.. a champ can take a fight whatever or whenever it was..

initial_zen
04-23-2009, 03:16 AM
So by your logic what was the problem with letting Fedor compete in Sambo?

the problem was the freedom in which fedors management was demanding. im not really sure the details with fedors contracts, but i think the problem was that it did not give the ufc enough control over what fedor was and wasnt allowed to do overseas.

rexthedog
08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Fighters ADCC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BARCELONA 2009 (http://adccbarcelona.com/trials-results/)

GSP, Maia and Nate are all listed on their site as competing, does anybody know if that's definite? The site doesn't look the most convincing but I'm thinking of going...if I can get anyone to go with me

Mirko45
08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
As far as I know the list is legit besides for Arona, who as of yesterday was out. It's worth making the trip just for the super fight this year

rexthedog
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Roger Gracie Injured - Out of ADCC 2009 Super Fight Against Robert Drysdale: "We were following... - Bloody Elbow (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/9/8/1020589/roger-gracie-drops-out-of-adcc)

Roger Gracie out injured :(

reedk
09-20-2009, 07:06 PM
GSP in the Abu Dhabi would be a big draw but too much of a risk to get hurt and unable to complete in the next UFC event.

mma fanatic
HawaiiUFC.com - UFC Gear, UFC Videos, UFC Books, UFC News, and More. (http://www.hawaiiufc.com)

Fedorlei Gomipierre
09-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Will Drysdale ever compete in MMA?

I've never heard he's signed to anywhere, but he sounds like a freak of nature.

KnowledgeKnown
01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Many UFC fighters compete in many different submission grappling tourneys. I don't see a problem with it. If i'm not mistaken, Matt Hughes lost to Tito in an open weight grappling tourney while he was champion. It did happen, just not positive if he was champ at the time. But I think so.

I'm too lazy too google it right now so i'm going strictly from memory lol,