PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather Plans To Retire After Next Fight?

Matt Boone
11-06-2006, 01:53 AM
http://www.mmanews.com/boxing/Floyd-Mayweather-Plans-To-Retire-After-Next.html

Dork8503
11-06-2006, 09:57 AM
i believe he was talking out of his ass, he said it to get oscar to come around and say he wants to fight, then if he beats oscar you know he wants shane, because those 2 fights right there specailly if he beats one to set up the other, will be more money then probally any fighter has seen, floyd can say all he wants its not about the money but when he talks all i see is shit coming from his mouth, they need someone to follow him around to shovel the shit that comes out, dont get me wrong i really love to watch him fight but he is really full of shit, to say he dont box for the money is crazy, like i believe afro said he is just trying to promote him self or somthing like that and i agree.

Punk Ass
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I think he really means this. Damn near every fight he hurts his hand. And I think in his twisted mind he thinks everybody considers him one of the greatest of all times.

The real issue is, he's scared to lose. If he loses, then his reputation will be tarnished. He wants to retire the champion so people will look back at him and think of him as important as Rocky Marciano. The only way he'll get that title is if he fights and beats every Great fighter in his division.

This clearly shows PBF is a coward IMO. His fight with Baldy was boring, and the crowed was booing. Emanuel Steward was right in saying "all the great fighters throw more than 1 punch at a time. Great fighters don't run all night. Great fighters try their damedest to knock every opponent out." You don't see DLH running anymore, SSM never ran, Margarito doesn't know how to say than word, i don't think he speaks english.

Point is, PBF is all talk, Can't wait to see him get KOFO

The Deftone
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I think he really means this. Damn near every fight he hurts his hand. And I think in his twisted mind he thinks everybody considers him one of the greatest of all times.

The real issue is, he's scared to lose. If he loses, then his reputation will be tarnished. He wants to retire the champion so people will look back at him and think of him as important as Rocky Marciano. The only way he'll get that title is if he fights and beats every Great fighter in his division.

This clearly shows PBF is a coward IMO. His fight with Baldy was boring, and the crowed was booing. Emanuel Steward was right in saying "all the great fighters throw more than 1 punch at a time. Great fighters don't run all night. Great fighters try their damedest to knock every opponent out." You don't see DLH running anymore, SSM never ran, Margarito doesn't know how to say than word, i don't think he speaks english.

Point is, PBF is all talk, Can't wait to see him get KOFO

Bulllllshit! I cant belive people like this. PBF puts on an amazing performance on saterday night, a boxing clinic and people like you still find a way to bitch and moan. IMO people who booed at that fight are not boxing fans, if watching a fighter at the top of his game puting on a world class performance isnt entertaining to you, you dont appriciate the sweet science. And that is sad.

I really hope PBF does'nt retire because he is the best boxer in the world and is always a pleasure to watch.

Afro
11-06-2006, 10:04 PM
The only problem I had is, and I agree with the commentators on is PBF was conservative in the later rounds.. and he ducked under a Baldy punched and ended up behind him... he didnt put on a flurry after that, RJJ woulda knocked a dude out if he ducked under a punch and ended up behind him especially in the later rounds when you've already beaten the guy down, Baldy was tired.. vulnerable.. a good combo coulda finished the fight.. and a combo that coulda finished the fight is somethin a GREAT BOXER could of put together, and would of done.. PBF claims hes great then he shoulda finished Baldy, instead of makin excuses. PBF showcased unbelievable boxing skills, but he still isnt what he says he is.

icemanct
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
i think ssm would beat pbf.and i think oscar would do well against pbf,my dad said that both of them would get their ass kicked

Matt Boone
11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah I doubt he retires. Probably a lame attempt to get people to come at him with insane offers thinking it's their last chance to make a major mega money fight with him and De La Hoya, Mosley, or someone like that.

Luis Cruz
11-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah I doubt he retires. Probably a lame attempt to get people to come at him with insane offers thinking it's their last chance to make a major mega money fight with him and De La Hoya, Mosley, or someone like that.

Exactly what it is. He aint retiring. It's a ploy to bait Oscar and people into their mega fight and make it even more of a spectacle by saying it's both of their last matches. Then he'll fight again afterwards win or lose. He knows if he leaves now he's not going down as the greatest of all time and i think he really wants people to think that and he has a lot more work to do to even be considered (although it won't happen with SRR's legacy already intact).

Punk Ass
11-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Exactly what it is. He aint retiring. It's a ploy to bait Oscar and people into their mega fight and make it even more of a spectacle by saying it's both of their last matches. Then he'll fight again afterwards win or lose. He knows if he leaves now he's not going down as the greatest of all time and i think he really wants people to think that and he has a lot more work to do to even be considered (although it won't happen with SRR's legacy already intact).

I think the man is stupid enough to believe people will think he's the greatest ever if he ever beats DLH. You wont believe how much his entorage gasses his head up. "Your the greatest floyed, nobody can beat you, don't listen to anything these Commentators say." I don't think he'll retire but I think he has convinced himself.

Matt Boone
11-07-2006, 12:15 AM
He's certainly the best right now, he worked long enough just to get that accolade, as Roy Jones Jr. or Shane Mosley was ahead of him during most of his bigger fights earlier on in his career. Gatti made him a star that now Mayweather versus someone is a big fight, where it used to be Mayweather wasn't a big fight unless his opponent was as big a name or bigger than him. If he actually does walk away, he's just wanting the fancy undefeated streak/worldwide P4P #1 claim and the big name like DLH to top it off on the way out. Would be a slimey thing to do, but if you know Mayweather's personality - at least as a boxing character, it's within the realm of possibility.

Salvy_Mic
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I dunno how to take this. At least when Oscar was undefeated, he was willing to take on dangerous fighters to truly try to cement his legacy (and was successful until he ran into Felix Trinidad). I've got to say this, Oscar has about a hundred times more heart, courage, desire, and respect for the sport of boxing than Floyd Mayweather will ever have, and that's too bad. For a guy with his ability and his knowing how to market himself, Floyd ought to be THE draw right now, but he's not (instead, the draws are Manny Pacquiao, Erik Morales, and Marco Antonio Barrera, as well as Oscar). In order to be truly appreciated as the best, one needs to fight the guys that are also considered to be best.

For Mayweather, I think losing might actually be the best thing for his legacy, more so than retiring undefeated. Nearly all the guys who are considered in the top 10 all-time pound for pound were guys who didn't truly cement their legacy until after they lost the first time: Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, and Marvin Hagler, just to name a few. They fought the best available opposition that was out there, and when they did lose, they came back better than before, especially Ali and Leonard.

Oscar De La Hoya's undefeated record was taken from him against Felix Trinidad, yet just 2 fights later, he's in the ring with Shane Mosley, at the time one of the top P4P in the world and loses again. He gets back and in the next few fights, his opponents read like a who's who of the early part of this decade: Mosley, Arturo Gatti, Fernando Vargas, and Bernard Hopkins. Hell, even before Oscar finally lost, he had beaten guys like Ruelas, Chavez, Whitaker, Camacho, and Quartey. Frankly, no one's going to remember Zab Judah or Carlos Baldomir as particularly great fighters, Castillo and Corrales could be, leaving, so far, Arturo Gatti as the only true great that Mayweather's fought so far, a little disappointing when in his career, guys like Kostzya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, and Antonio Margarito are or were available to fight.

If Mayweather's so concerned about his "legacy", he better take a look at what the overwhelming majority of boxing fans are probably saying about him on the internet. De La Hoya lost 4 times, Gatti lost like 6 or 7 times and didn't have the advantage of being a particularly wonderfully skilled boxer, but should Mayweather retire undefeated, they'll still be considered higher on the list of the all-time greats that Mayweather fancies himself on.

Punk Ass
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I dunno how to take this. At least when Oscar was undefeated, he was willing to take on dangerous fighters to truly try to cement his legacy (and was successful until he ran into Felix Trinidad). I've got to say this, Oscar has about a hundred times more heart, courage, desire, and respect for the sport of boxing than Floyd Mayweather will ever have, and that's too bad. For a guy with his ability and his knowing how to market himself, Floyd ought to be THE draw right now, but he's not (instead, the draws are Manny Pacquiao, Erik Morales, and Marco Antonio Barrera, as well as Oscar). In order to be truly appreciated as the best, one needs to fight the guys that are also considered to be best.

For Mayweather, I think losing might actually be the best thing for his legacy, more so than retiring undefeated. Nearly all the guys who are considered in the top 10 all-time pound for pound were guys who didn't truly cement their legacy until after they lost the first time: Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, and Marvin Hagler, just to name a few. They fought the best available opposition that was out there, and when they did lose, they came back better than before, especially Ali and Leonard.

Oscar De La Hoya's undefeated record was taken from him against Felix Trinidad, yet just 2 fights later, he's in the ring with Shane Mosley, at the time one of the top P4P in the world and loses again. He gets back and in the next few fights, his opponents read like a who's who of the early part of this decade: Mosley, Arturo Gatti, Fernando Vargas, and Bernard Hopkins. Hell, even before Oscar finally lost, he had beaten guys like Ruelas, Chavez, Whitaker, Camacho, and Quartey. Frankly, no one's going to remember Zab Judah or Carlos Baldomir as particularly great fighters, Castillo and Corrales could be, leaving, so far, Arturo Gatti as the only true great that Mayweather's fought so far, a little disappointing when in his career, guys like Kostzya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, and Antonio Margarito are or were available to fight.

If Mayweather's so concerned about his "legacy", he better take a look at what the overwhelming majority of boxing fans are probably saying about him on the internet. De La Hoya lost 4 times, Gatti lost like 6 or 7 times and didn't have the advantage of being a particularly wonderfully skilled boxer, but should Mayweather retire undefeated, they'll still be considered higher on the list of the all-time greats that Mayweather fancies himself on.

I agree with many things your saying but, DLH really beat Trinidad. DLH's father said that was the best performance DLH ever performed. His only problem was running in the last 4 rounds to avoid getting KOTF. A big mistake which he said he'ss never do again and hasn't. DLH really beat SSM in their second fight. He learned from the first fight and came back much better and smarter.

Other than that I agree with everything your saying, you gave DLH a lot of credit but just not enough IMO. :grinsmile1:

Afro
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
If PBF retires undefeated people will just say well who has he fought?

simple as that, hes gotta beat DLH, SSM, Margarito, and other good boxers to be what he thinks he is.. I doubt he retires undefeated, in fact I bet you he loses a fight or even 2 in his prime they just wont be to DLH.

kowarrior
11-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Bulllllshit! I cant belive people like this. PBF puts on an amazing performance on saterday night, a boxing clinic and people like you still find a way to bitch and moan. IMO people who booed at that fight are not boxing fans, if watching a fighter at the top of his game puting on a world class performance isnt entertaining to you, you dont appriciate the sweet science. And that is sad.

I really hope PBF does'nt retire because he is the best boxer in the world and is always a pleasure to watch.

PBF can put on as many clinics as he wants. He can put on spectacular performances time after time. Only thing is, NOBODY is gonna shell out $50+ taxes to watch a piece of crap like that.:wavesmile:
Sorry, but as skilled as PBF is, he's not a big draw at all, he can't sell out a 10,000 seat arena, his fights don't demonstrate heart and courage, he provides ZERO drama, and he has NO charisma.
The people who are big PBF fans will support him. Boxing fans on the other hand won't pay $50+ to see garbage like PBF/Baldomir.
That's just crap. PBF in my opinion has no place on PPV. He's a free-tv fighter, that's where he belongs. That's where he's fought for 98% of his career, on free tv.
He doesn't have the ability to really market a PPV, nor attract fans to the arena. Pretty boys just don't sell.:grinsmile1:
I swear to God I would watch every PBF fan on free tv. But I sure as f*cking hell will never put a dime in his pocket, let alone $50+ to see him fight. And I was never sold on Baldomir at any point, regardless of what the HBO hype machine tried to market him as.

Afro
11-09-2006, 05:44 PM
PBF can put on as many clinics as he wants. He can put on spectacular performances time after time. Only thing is, NOBODY is gonna shell out $50+ taxes to watch a piece of crap like that.:wavesmile:
Sorry, but as skilled as PBF is, he's not a big draw at all, he can't sell out a 10,000 seat arena, his fights don't demonstrate heart and courage, he provides ZERO drama, and he has NO charisma.
The people who are big PBF fans will support him. Boxing fans on the other hand won't pay $50+ to see garbage like PBF/Baldomir.
That's just crap. PBF in my opinion has no place on PPV. He's a free-tv fighter, that's where he belongs. That's where he's fought for 98% of his career, on free tv.
He doesn't have the ability to really market a PPV, nor attract fans to the arena. Pretty boys just don't sell.:grinsmile1:
I swear to God I would watch every PBF fan on free tv. But I sure as f*cking hell will never put a dime in his pocket, let alone $50+ to see him fight. And I was never sold on Baldomir at any point, regardless of what the HBO hype machine tried to market him as.
Boxing fans wont pay 50 bucks to see PBF/Baldomir??? you do realise that the arena was SOLD OUT. PBF is a bigger draw then you think, why? cuz hes a trash talker.. he hypes up a fight and he has serious skill.. boxing fans WILL PAY TO SEE PBF be real man.. I dont hear ANY boxing fans saying how much they DONT want to see PBF.. hes the big talk right now and people either wanna see him win, or more then likely lose.

kowarrior
11-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Boxing fans wont pay 50 bucks to see PBF/Baldomir??? you do realise that the arena was SOLD OUT. PBF is a bigger draw then you think, why? cuz hes a trash talker.. he hypes up a fight and he has serious skill.. boxing fans WILL PAY TO SEE PBF be real man.. I dont hear ANY boxing fans saying how much they DONT want to see PBF.. hes the big talk right now and people either wanna see him win, or more then likely lose.

They didn't sell out the arena, not even close. Alot of those seats were empty and they gave away alot of free tickets in the area, just like they did with Lewis/Klitschko and Ruiz/Toney. People were walking out during the 10th round. Obviously they regretted buying a ticket. PBF just isn't that big of a draw. He's only got his undefeated record going for him. Once that zero is gone, his stock is gonna plummet down the tubes.
He has no charisma and he looked like a complete dickweed coming down the aise in that stupid Roman Guard outfit which was way too big for him. His trash talking is bland, no news stations or sports stations even give him the time of day cause he's so sh*t and boring as a personality.
He's already ducked an $8 million challenge from Margarito, just so he could beat on this piece of overhyped crap in Baldomir.
He's gonna get the Roy Jones treatment. Once he gets KO'd, he'll be back to fighting in half empty ball rooms.
What were the numbers for PBF/Baldomir? 200,000? He's not worth the money HBO is paying him.

Afro
11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
They didn't sell out the arena, not even close. Alot of those seats were empty and they gave away alot of free tickets in the area, just like they did with Lewis/Klitschko and Ruiz/Toney. People were walking out during the 10th round. Obviously they regretted buying a ticket. PBF just isn't that big of a draw. He's only got his undefeated record going for him. Once that zero is gone, his stock is gonna plummet down the tubes.
He has no charisma and he looked like a complete dickweed coming down the aise in that stupid Roman Guard outfit which was way too big for him. His trash talking is bland, no news stations or sports stations even give him the time of day cause he's so sh*t and boring as a personality.
He's already ducked an $8 million challenge from Margarito, just so he could beat on this piece of overhyped crap in Baldomir.
He's gonna get the Roy Jones treatment. Once he gets KO'd, he'll be back to fighting in half empty ball rooms.
What were the numbers for PBF/Baldomir? 200,000? He's not worth the money HBO is paying him.
I dont know how to reply to this, your obviously making stuff up.

icemanct
11-09-2006, 10:28 PM
pbf needs to take on someone faster.he's been fighting old slow out of their time guys now.if he fights ssm i guarantee he'll get beat.guaranteed!and 1 question,why would some of yall rather watch DLH fight PBF then watching SSM fight PBF?I hope yall didnt forget that SSM beat DLH twice

kowarrior
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM

How am I making stuff up? Ask anybody who was at the fight or go watch Larry Merchant's post fight interview with PBF after the fight. He himself said people were getting up and leaving during the 10th round. Plus the arena was nowhere near sold out. They were still trying to throw out tickets to passers-by, just like is the norm with boxing events. It's nothing new.
No denying that PBF is skilled, but come on, he's like Lennox Lewis. People really just couldn't accept him because he was a safety-first uninspired performer who played it safe, who liked to play chess in the ring against his opponent and try to apply strategy and caution. I'm sorry but these chess-player type fighters just don't cut it. Nobody pays $50+ to see a good boxer play it safe.
Why do you think fighters like Tyson and Holyfield were so damn popular and box office sensations? They laid it all on the line in every fight. They guaranteed action, win or lose.
Guys like Lennox and Mayweather Jr, nah.....nobody's gonna pay big money to see chess in motion in a boxing ring.
You have to give fans a reason to plunk money down to see you perform. You have to give them a show. Why do you think nobody respected Chris Byrd and John Ruiz even when they were champs? They could parade around with their world heavyweight titles but they couldn't draw flies. Performance is key in boxing, not to mention charisma and excitement. Look at Manny Pacquaio, people love this guy because he brings it every time. You just have to watch Pac/Barrera and Pac/Morales 1 and 2 to understand that.
There's just no big demand for charisma-incarnate cautious skilled chess- playing boxers who move all over the ring, not to mention have bad attitudes and talk themselves up like their sh*t don't stink.
It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

Punk Ass
11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
pbf needs to take on someone faster.he's been fighting old slow out of their time guys now.if he fights ssm i guarantee he'll get beat.guaranteed!and 1 question,why would some of yall rather watch DLH fight PBF then watching SSM fight PBF?I hope yall didnt forget that SSM beat DLH twice

DLH really won that second fight and I think DLH is a smarter fighter who can adapt better. Not taking anything away from SSM I think he could beat PBF also cause he's just relentless, fast, and throws a hell of a lot of punches with intent.

The Deftone
11-10-2006, 04:01 AM

Yep! hes totaly just make'n crap up...

icemanct
11-10-2006, 04:33 AM
Yep! hes totaly just make'n crap up...FIX YOUR SIG THAT IS WAY TO BIG ITS STRECHING THE SCREEN

The Deftone
11-10-2006, 04:39 AM
FIX YOUR SIG THAT IS WAY TO BIG ITS STRECHING THE SCREEN

Yep sory, all fixed now:)

Salvy_Mic
11-12-2006, 02:41 AM
I'll tell you what, turn the clock back on De La Hoya and Mosley about 3 years, and they would easily show Pretty Boy Floyd a thing or two about boxing, while someone like Trinidad would have knocked his head into the
3rd row. I have to respect Mayweather as a fighter because he really is that damn good; I saw what he did to Gatti, and that earned my respect. Doesn't mean I particularly care for Mayweather.

He's like Sugar Ray Leonard lite: phenomenal boxing ability, excellent footwork, blazing speed, good looking, but without the courage, heart, and resiliency that Leonard always showed that made him so beloved during the 70s and 80s.

Not only that, but overt shit talkers like Mayweather just bug me. It's why I've never liked guys like Vargas, and didn't like Hopkins at first, until he actually backed it up against elite competition, thus earning my respect, and later, my admiration.

When PBF gets taken out of his rhythm, out of his gameplan, that's when we'll see what sort of fighter he really is. All of the greats were able to adapt and overcome any obstacles.