PDA

View Full Version : Taylor vs Wright

Afro
06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Who wins?

my vote goes to Wright by split decision

Matt Boone
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I got Wright by decision. A split decision prediction lol, wtf is that?

Luis Cruz
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I wrote my breakdown on this somewhere on here already so i'll keep this short and to the point.

Taylor by EASY unanimous decision. And him stopping Winky late won't make my jaw drop either.

Afro
06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
I got Wright by decision. A split decision prediction lol, wtf is that?
thats predicting a close fight whats wrong with that? lol

what you think it wont happen?

Afro
06-17-2006, 10:38 PM
A raw fighter beating Winky?

man Taylor was smart to get Emanuel Steward, cuz he def. wasnt gonna come into this fight raw and beat Winky.

Afro
06-17-2006, 11:43 PM
ohhhh you gotta be kidddddin me

Matt Boone
06-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Fight ends in a draw, 115-113 Taylor, 115-113 Wright, 114-114. Very exciting match from start to finish. Taylor's left eye was completely swollen shut by the end of the fight, due to a headbutt. They clashed heads quite a few times. I'm sure Cruz will technically break it down, I've already wrote my round by round opinions at this link: http://www.mmanews.com/article/152599860.php

Afro
06-17-2006, 11:53 PM
That was an EXCELLENT fight, im ready to cuss out anyone who says Boxing is dead cuz that fight was great.

But I felt Winky won that fight, he threw a high %.. Taylor didnt hit him nearly as many times as Winky hit Taylor, all power shots where Winky simply outboxed Taylor for 7 out of 12 rounds.. it was damn close but I felt Winky won

Edgucator
06-18-2006, 12:01 AM
This was the first time I watched a actual boxing match and my dad and I couldn't pick a winner in it. That was really fun.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
oh man, no way winky won that fight. that one judge gave him the 12th in which he did absolutely nothing and that cost taylor the sd win. i will break it down more tomorrow.

Afro
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
oh man, no way winky won that fight. that one judge gave him the 12th in which he did absolutely nothing and that cost taylor the sd win. i will break it down more tomorrow.
Taylor did nothing either! Winky did mroe then Taylor in RD 12, theres no way Taylor won that fight! he got outboxed.

Did you see Winky's hit % compared to Taylors? that is very accurate add in the fact that Winky actually defended himself! Taylor was hittin glove most of the night.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah, Afo Samurai PLEASE debate Cruz on why Wright won. You wanna see this boxing sub forum take off? Challenge Cruz's opinion on a decision with one of his boys (JT, Cotto, Trinidad, etc.) and watch the fireworks begin.

That being said, I scored it 116-112 for Taylor, so I had it even more one-sided than any judge or HBO expert had it.

Afro
06-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I just dont see how it could be a 116-112 or for anyone to say it wasnt close.. I mean come on now that fight was real close, it definently wasnt a 116-112.. it could of gone either way! I just felt Winky won it.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Taylor did nothing either! Winky did mroe then Taylor in RD 12, theres no way Taylor won that fight! he got outboxed.

Did you see Winky's hit % compared to Taylors? that is very accurate add in the fact that Winky actually defended himself! Taylor was hittin glove most of the night.

please boone, i always give an unbias opinion when it comes to a decision in boxing. winky didn't throw in the 12th taylor did, nuff said. dont lay on %'s so much they dont say who won or lost. and do you know how those stats are added up??? a guy hitting a button when he thinks he sees something, its not always accurate believe me. i watch it live on espn when they show the numbers moving on those stats during a fight and it'll baffle your mind. but yea winky was more accurate but taylor landed a lot of power shots and body shots. you don't think he landed and hit glove, you better look at winkys face again. those shots you think were hitting glove were breaking right down the middle of winkys gloves and connecting. he did hit glove at times. the ONLY time winky did anything positive that could win him a round was when taylor stayed in the corner and toward the end of the fight taylor started winning there too. i had the same score boone had and i score every fight round by round. there was only 2 rounds i seen as debatable that harold gave both to winky and he still had a draw. i said 115-113 was ok. and although i think it was a stretch a draw can even be argued but NO WAY can you justify winky winning that fight. i could break this down round by round but i really don't think i have to. lol someone has to prove to me with facts how winky won not just %'s. lol

Afro
06-18-2006, 12:20 AM
please boone, i always give an unbias opinion when it comes to a decision in boxing. winky didn't throw in the 12th taylor did, nuff said. dont lay on %'s so much they dont say who won or lost. and do you know how those stats are added up??? a guy hitting a button when he thinks he sees something, its not always accurate believe me. i watch it live on espn when they show the numbers moving on those stats during a fight and it'll baffle your mind. but yea winky was more accurate but taylor landed a lot of power shots and body shots. you don't think he landed and hit glove, you better look at winkys face again. those shots you think were hitting glove were breaking right down the middle of winkys gloves and connecting. he did hit glove at times. the ONLY time winky did anything positive that could win him a round was when taylor stayed in the corner and toward the end of the fight taylor started winning there too. i had the same score boone had and i score every fight round by round. there was only 2 rounds i seen as debatable that harold gave both to winky and he still had a draw. i said 115-113 was ok. and although i think it was a stretch a draw can even be argued but NO WAY can you justify winky winning that fight. i could break this down round by round but i really don't think i have to. lol someone has to prove to me with facts how winky won not just %'s. lol
Im not sayin he didnt land any power shots.. the guy hits hard as hell.. I didnt even much pay attention to the hit stats till after the fight but I still didnt think Taylor was hitting a high % a lot of his blows were hitting glove, and the ones that werent were doing a lot of damage.. I still dont see how you can say theres NO WAY that Winky won the fight cuz it was very close, you can give Taylor the fight as far as damage and power shots, but Winky still outboxed him IMO he landed more jabs, he threw better combos, he defended himself.. he was backin Taylor up and throwin combos, and he would circle him tappin him with the jab.. where as Taylor was just throwin power shots.. anyway ima watch the fight again tomorrow, cant wait to see your breakdown.. I just dont know man I really felt it was Winky's fight.. I dont see how theres no possible way that Winky won so ima watch the fight again in the mornin

later.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 12:25 AM
ok hopefully you come back and reply before i get to work and break it down, you might save me some time. lol

Afro
06-18-2006, 12:27 AM
ok hopefully you come back and reply before i get to work and break it down, you might save me some time. lol
Lol who knows, I wake up at like lunch so ha ha

EITHER WAY im gonna go ahead and give his fight an A+ it was GREAT from beginning to end, and werent we just talkin about how this years been great for boxing? well its just got better.. ima go over to this other forum and cuss out all those chumps that said boxing was dead :grinsmile1:

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 01:35 AM
I didn't mean you're biased, I just meant passionate in debating.

I had it 116-112, but like I told Cruz aside from 2 clear-cut Taylor rounds, and 1 or 2 clear-cut Wright rounds, most of the rounds in that fight could have gone either way. So 116-112 don't mean I didn't think it was close, because I expected it to be, that's just simply how I had it round by round. I've got the detailed breakdown on the site if you want to see how, since you said you don't know how I could have it that final score. I agree it was close, and more importantly it was incredibly exciting - something I totally didn't expect.

Afro
06-18-2006, 01:54 AM
I didn't mean you're biased, I just meant passionate in debating.

I had it 116-112, but like I told Cruz aside from 2 clear-cut Taylor rounds, and 1 or 2 clear-cut Wright rounds, most of the rounds in that fight could have gone either way. So 116-112 don't mean I didn't think it was close, because I expected it to be, that's just simply how I had it round by round. I've got the detailed breakdown on the site if you want to see how, since you said you don't know how I could have it that final score. I agree it was close, and more importantly it was incredibly exciting - something I totally didn't expect.
ahh ok I see what your sayin then

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
i'm going to watch this fight again here at work later with the dudes. i'll give my take again on it sometime, i'm having a reeeeaaaaalllll shitty day today. but winky's attitude like he got robbed is some baby shit, that i won't change my mind on.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, like I told you on AIM it was a close fight and neither guy got robbed. It was a draw, which is probably pretty accurate. The rounds were so debatable for the most part that no one can complain about being robbed, and CERTAINLY can't claim to have put on a boxing lesson like Wright has been saying.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060618/capt.8d8e99ddf46f481ea8c2198480519dac.taylor_wrigh t_boxing_tnmd108.jpg

Afro
06-18-2006, 03:58 PM
i'm going to watch this fight again here at work later with the dudes. i'll give my take again on it sometime, i'm having a reeeeaaaaalllll shitty day today. but winky's attitude like he got robbed is some baby shit, that i won't change my mind on.
I cant disagree there but I think Winky is just pissed off I dont believe for 1 second that he wouldnt take a rematch, I think the guy is just mad.. like he said the Vargas fight popped into his head and he took off.. he should show a lot more professionalism then that but when your passionate about a sport sometimes you react without thinking.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 04:00 PM
He had time to think before the post fight press conference, and he no-showed that also - but sent his promoter in with some shit to whine about.

Afro
06-18-2006, 04:02 PM
He had time to think before the post fight press conference, and he no-showed that also - but sent his promoter in with some shit to whine about.
did he? damn didnt hear about that.

hes overreacting then.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Got the article here in the boxing forum. It's a good read, I'd check it out.

Afro
06-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Ya I just read it all I gotta say is we got ourselves a rivalry!

there better be a Winky-Taylor 2, well I know there will be.. and I cant wait

LA Suxs
06-18-2006, 04:21 PM
yea it wasnt a boxing lesson, just a seminar. in all fairness yeah too many debatable rounds. winky obviously connected more and had the better control of the ring. but Taylor seemed to do more damage when he connected (although his eye makes me think twice)

Afro
06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
yea it wasnt a boxing lesson, just a seminar. in all fairness yeah too many debatable rounds. winky obviously connected more and had the better control of the ring. but Taylor seemed to do more damage when he connected (although his eye makes me think twice)
His eye was cuz of the head butts, it was pretty clear that Taylors hits were doin' the damage to Winky.. and its tough to say about the head butts cuz Taylor was deliverin them but he was gettin the most damage out of them! lol but yea I think his eye was like that cuz of the head butts, Winky's hits arent that hard but it doesnt help that Winky was jabbin that eye all fight then Taylor kept bangin that eye up against Winky's head.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 04:52 PM
i'm going to say right now when this rematch happens it won't be nearly as close. the only thing taylor did was give up rounds by backing himself in a corner. He acknowledged that at the end that he wasn't listening to manny when he was telling him inbetween rounds to stay off the ropes. next time he'll control the fight and leave no questions asked about who won. i would even say if he comes with the same fire and passion he had for hopkins he could stop winky in the later rounds. i really felt he didn't give nearly 100% because he was too buddy buddy with winky. throw that shit out the window and beat his ass then be friends again. but manny said it best and it says a lot.

"Emanuel Steward then praised his new fighter's toughness and ability to dig deep. "Jermain did so many things wrong tonight and still kept his championship. When Winky came on, Jermain came back strong and moved Winky with his punches. Every time it looked like he might lose it, he bit down and got it done," Steward remarked."

Afro
06-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I think the exact opposite of you bro, cuz im stickin with Winky

Winky has a lot less to work on, hes gotta go over film and correct his mistakes

Taylor has to do the same AND improve his boxing he is still very raw.. unless the fight happens a good while from now I dont see Taylor breaking all the habits and maturing enough that it'll make a huge difference.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't even try and predict a winner in the rematch. Early on I thought Taylor might stop Winky, middle way through I thought after 1-2 solid Winky rounds it was gonna turn into technical dominance by Winky, then later in the fight I didn't know what to expect. In a rematch, I'd be the same way. Taylor does need to just avoid going into the corners, but he's not dumb he realized that in this fight, was being told not to, and kept doing it anyway so maybe it was something Winky was doing that made Taylor keep backing up like that.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 05:36 PM
No it was nothing winky was doing. Taylor said he kept going there because he wanted winky to throw so he could counter him with hard shots, like he was luring winky in. Listen to the post fight again in the ring he explains it. He also said winky had no power so obviously he wasn't bothered by anything he got hit with. That swollen eye was NOT because of jabs in the least it was one headbutt that caused it. Even though they clashed repeatdly, they showed the replay of the one headbutt that cracked taylor right in the eye and closed it the same round.

And afro if you think winky doesn't need to improve much, then please explain to me how he's going to win if taylor fights in the middle of the ring because taylor owned him when they weren't against the ropes. i'm not sure how you think winky is a way better boxer and see taylor as 'raw' when he handled him in the boxing aspect of the match in the middle of the ring. I think that right there says who the better boxer was. I really hope this rematch happens and i still stand by my words that winky IS BY NO STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION #2 on the pound 4 pound list like Ring's rankings suggest.

Afro
06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Winky wasnt the one with his legs too wide, his chin exposed, and his arms at hip level.. Winky wasnt the one throwing a bunch of power shots either and getting backed up into the ropes every round, I would def. say that Jermain is a lot more raw then Winky is.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 07:10 PM
you listen to commentators too much. They commented on his wide stance but he doesn't have to many problems being off balance and winky couldn't do nothing with it. his chin exposed doesn't mean anything, obviously he had no fear of winky's power because he didn't have anything and wasn't hurting him, does that mean he can't box? i guess floyd can't either because he uses movement to avoid punches and roll with them. roy jones fought with his arms at his side in his prime also. what does throwing power shots have to do with not knowing how to box? they were very affective if you couldn't tell by winky's face and those brutal body shots he took that stopped him later in the fight from coming in aggessively. and for the last time, he WASN'T backing taylor up in the ropes, taylor went there on his own as he explained in the post fight interview and i explained in my other post. and yes taylor did back him up EVERY single power shot he landed and even the ones that were blocked. are you telling me winky outboxed taylor when it was in the middle of the ring?? if so i think you need to rewatch the entire fight from an unbiased point of view and put the volume on mute so lampley doesn't persuade you into thinking things that aren't happening.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I wasn't listening to any of the post fight, as soon as the scorecards were read I was getting to work on here. I didn't tape it either.

Afro
06-18-2006, 07:44 PM
when did I say he didnt know how to box just cuz he took powershots? I just felt that Winky's boxing was better.. yes Taylor won in the middle of the ring but I still felt Winky through better combos, landed more shots, and defended himself better I also feel the commentators were right about Taylor, not so much with his chin but his arms and legs.. yea he wasnt comin' off balance but its not like Winky was hittin him hard either.. and Roy Jones isnt exactly the best example he toyed with a lot of the guys he boxed, and Roy usually kept 1 arm up.. both of Taylors arms were down but still.. it wasnt like Taylor was defenseless either.. Winky couldnt hit him with his arms down so it worked for him but that aint gonna work against everyone.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 07:56 PM
He doesn't do it against everyone, that's what i was saying when i said he was trying to get Winky to come in. He does keep his left hand down a lot but that doesn't matter because he has a great jab that keeps people off of him even though he didn't use it in this fight. The point is i've watched Taylor come up the ranks, i've seen a lot of his fights and i've seen Winky. I can say with certainty that was Winky at 100%, he fought better than i ever seen him fight and that was Taylor at about 75-80% and Winky still couldn't beat him just like Manny said in a roundabout way. That's why i'm saying in a rematch Taylor will win a lopsided decision because he didn't even bring his A game this time and Winky did, there's nothing Winky can do to make a better fight against Taylor than what he did in this fight where on the flipside Taylor comes in with his head right and uses that great jab (where if you noticed when he used it he outjabbed Winky everytime) to set up punches and is the aggressor, Winky won't be able to do anything to stop him, mark my words.

Matt Boone
06-18-2006, 08:48 PM
The words you marked going into this fight was Jermain would handle Winky easy. I think it's safe to say that didn't happen.

Luis Cruz
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
no it didn't but it should have if taylor came to fight like he did with hopkins. and he will next time i'm sure.

StephanBonnarrocks
07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
taylor should've schooled this bum. if he fought like that against hopkins he wouldn't of last 6 rounds and i think even cruz will admit that. why go lay in the ropes, drop your gloves and block punches with your face? lol if he did that against hopkins it wouldve looked like tarver. anyways it was a great fight, winky has a lot of balls bitchin about a decision after that sam soliman fight he was given. winky makes me sick, hes the most overrated piece of crap in boxing. he acts like a hard ass gangsta but couldnt knock somebody out if he was bareknuckled. taylor clearly is the better fighter and clearly will have twice the career so winky can ride off into the sunset with his imaginary "big fights" that will never happen.