PDA

View Full Version : Homosexual remarks

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 08:30 PM
This is just a suggestion, but I have noticed several people in the forums using homosexual remarks in a degrading fashion. If the rules are going to forbid racist and religious comments, I think they should also forbid comments about sexual preference. Of course I do not suggest that people be banned for this, only that it should be discouraged. I am not gay, but I think as a society it is important for us to evolve past stereotypical attitudes and our vernacular is an important part of that.

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 08:35 PM
This is just a suggestion, but I have noticed several people in the forums using homosexual remarks in a degrading fashion. If the rules are going to forbid racist and religious comments, I think they should also forbid comments about sexual preference. Of course I do not suggest that people be banned for this, only that it should be discouraged. I am not gay, but I think as a society it is important for us to evolve past stereotypical attitudes and our vernacular is an important part of that.

This is a gay thread!

J/K:grinsmile1:

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Haha great, thanks KO. By the way I know I said something to you about this last night, but this thread really wasnt directed at you.

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
This is a gay thread!

J/K:grinsmile1:

:lmfao:

kowarrior
11-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Haha great, thanks KO. By the way I know I said something to you about this last night, but this thread really wasnt directed at you.

Think nothing of it.:grinsmile26:

Donny77
11-13-2006, 09:41 PM
who cares, seriously unless ur gay who the fuck takes that shit to heart anyway?

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
who cares, seriously unless ur gay who the fuck takes that shit to heart anyway?

gay men think its funny too, just ask kowarrior

j/k ko

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 09:47 PM

Ah what a great point! We should only worry about stereotypical attitudes that affect us individually! That’s a great way to go through life.
If the words ****** and cracker are going to be forbidden then fag should also, for the same reasons.

Hypergit
11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
It gets on my nerves too.

Apart from it being immoral (which it certainly is), it is so darn unimaginative a putdown that it bores me half to death reading and responding to it all the time.

git.

Luis Cruz
11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't think this is that big of a deal. Racism is on a different level. I say all the time "that's gay" and shit like that and no one thinks nothing of it. I think when people use the word 'fag' it's usually meaning an idiot or something along those lines unless the conversation is about gay people. The 'n' word can mean nothing else, it's a strickly racist word, unless spoken in slang in which it would have to end with an a. BTW i have a gay uncle who came out of the closet like 3 or 4 years ago, i must say i was a bit disappointed probably due to shock mostly (he's 43), but gay people don't bother me at all and i have nothing against therefore don't bash them but i still use the words only with a different meaning.

Hypergit
11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Racism is on a different level.

In this (the mma) community, yes.

Moraly they are identical though (if you really do disagree I'd be interested to hear your reasoning). Maybe we're all so used to the homophobia by now that it just seems that way.

git.

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 10:21 PM
i agree with luis

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Right and that is exactly my point. When you use the expression "that's gay" you are speaking negatively about something. That expression itself is disapproval of homosexuality. It is that attitude that I think we need to change as a society. Think about it. What if you said, "that's black" anytime anyone said something stupid?

Legend
11-13-2006, 10:33 PM

I see your point and agree with you on one hand but on the other hand I just don't care. I'm not trying to be a dick I really just think a lot of ppl are too sensitive and I get sick of all of the crying about racial issues. I could care less it someone calls me a honkey or cracker but I guess that's just me and my laid back attitude.

But like I said on one hand I do agree with you. It is imo hypocritical to not allow words like the "N" bomb, Jew, or spic but allow fag or gay at the same time.

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Right and that is exactly my point. When you use the expression "that's gay" you are speaking negatively about something. That expression itself is disapproval of homosexuality. It is that attitude that I think we need to change as a society. Think about it. What if you said, "that's black" anytime anyone said something stupid?

when i refer to something as gay it is usually gay and gay people like gay things so why would they be offended by someone calling something gay for example if a shirt makes my buddy look gay, i will tell him, "that shirts gay" does that mean a gay man is going to be offended by a shirt he probably likes?

Hypergit
11-13-2006, 10:46 PM
when i refer to something as gay it is usually gay and gay people like gay things so why would they be offended by someone calling something gay for example if a shirt makes my buddy look gay, i will tell him, "that shirts gay" does that mean a gay man is going to be offended by a shirt he probably likes?

Now go through what you said replacing 'gay' with 'black'. Then try and make a decent point.

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Now go through what you said replacing 'gay' with 'black'. Then try and make a decent point.

black people like cornrows, those cornrows make you look black

:afro:

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM

The whole idea that you can "look gay" IS stereotypical.

AudieMurphy1
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
The whole idea that you can "look gay" IS stereotypical.

a steriotype is still a steriotype

if i where a pink shirt with a rainbow on it what would you be thinking about me?

killerinstinct
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't think this is that big of a deal. Racism is on a different level. I say all the time "that's gay" and shit like that and no one thinks nothing of it. I think when people use the word 'fag' it's usually meaning an idiot or something along those lines unless the conversation is about gay people. The 'n' word can mean nothing else, it's a strickly racist word, unless spoken in slang in which it would have to end with an a. BTW i have a gay uncle who came out of the closet like 3 or 4 years ago, i must say i was a bit disappointed probably due to shock mostly (he's 43), but gay people don't bother me at all and i have nothing against therefore don't bash them but i still use the words only with a different meaning.
I agree.

JimmyMoore
11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
a steriotype is still a steriotype

What?!

if i where a pink shirt with a rainbow on it what would you be thinking about me?

I dont judge people based on their clothing. You should try that.

BigBanda
11-13-2006, 11:51 PM
http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/2214/homo21uq.jpg

...See that is all in fun lol and even a gay guy would find that amusing as I know a gay guy that thought it was funny as well. To actually bash somebody for being gay is way different. Just IMO anyways.

Hypergit
11-13-2006, 11:55 PM
...See that is all in fun lol and even a gay guy would find that amusing

You've been here two months and you still find the www.generic-insults-for-witless-children.com pictures amusing? I'm really bored of them - they stifle creativity :grinsmile26:

MichaelK
11-14-2006, 12:01 AM

I'd think you're a colorful individual.

Now, if the shirt were yellow...

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Audie got some chuckles out of me with his replies all while making points. The cornroll logic was the best though. lol

And to answer whoever said about them both being equally wrong morally, Racism is hate against people for their nationality or ethnic background, Prejudice is hating certain kinds of people because of what they do or how they act, dress, etc. Making comments against gays is prejudice not racist and that's the only difference, yea morally it's the same when hating on on either.

Now to shed some light to this little debate. Here is 'gay' straight' from the dictionary.

gay  /geɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb

–adjective 1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton

Now as you can see here, #4 would cover telling someone something they are wearing is gay or something they do is gay. And you know where homosexual is in this, #5. I agree with no bashing gay PEOPLE here, we can enforce that but for the rest, sorry bud but because of the dictionary being of higher importance on how a word can be used........i'll allow it.

AudieMurphy1
11-14-2006, 12:09 AM
I'd think you're a colorful individual.

Now, if the shirt were yellow...

you mean a happy idividual:wavesmile:

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Ok bud.. here is the dictionary defination of ******. Which is censored automaticly..

nig·ger (ngr) Pronunciation Key
n. Offensive Slan.

1. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: “You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a ******” (James Baldwin).

2. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people.

3. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people: “Gun owners are the new ******s... of society” (John Aquilino).

Now because someone COULD use the word in the #3 sense, are you gonna allow it too?

BigBanda
11-14-2006, 12:19 AM
You've been here two months and you still find the www.generic-insults-for-witless-children.com (http://www.generic-insults-for-witless-children.com) pictures amusing? I'm really bored of them - they stifle creativity :grinsmile26:
Hell yes they amuse me lol. Funny this is coming from a guy whose signature is a can of "retard strength" poking fun at the mentally challenged haha. Then again maybe u were just kidding with me but I cant tell.

Hypergit
11-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Then again maybe u were just kidding with me but I cant tell.

Yeah sorry I should have mentioned I get my jokes from www.dry-sarcasm.com or, if that server is busy, www.might-or-might-not-be-serious.com :grinsmile1:

AudieMurphy1
11-14-2006, 12:35 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/AudieMurphy1/gay.jpg

:confusedsmilie:

i couldnt resist:grinsmile1:

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Ok bud.. here is the dictionary defination of ******. Which is censored automaticly..

n. Offensive Slan.

1. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: “You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a ******” (James Baldwin).

3. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people: “Gun owners are the new ******s... of society” (John Aquilino).

Now because someone COULD use the word in the #3 sense, are you gonna allow it too?

Yea too bad that's not a very good counter point being that it still clearly says A DISPARAGING TERM. Isn't that what this whole conversation is about not discriminating against certain people which it clearly says thats what it stand for in all 3 meanings?? Not the same sorry, the definition i gave you for gay wasn't anything like that.

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Yea too bad that's not a very good counter point being that it still clearly says A DISPARAGING TERM. Isn't that what this whole conversation is about not discriminating against certain people which it clearly says thats what it stand for in all 3 meanings?? Not the same sorry, the definition i gave you for gay wasn't anything like that.

Ohh i see so now it can be censored just because it is a "disparaging term" in that case youre gonna be busy censoring every word that can be considered disparaging. But you can leave "that's gay" and "fag" out, those aren't disparaging at all.

I think when people use the word 'fag' it's usually meaning an idiot or something along those lines .

Hypergit
11-14-2006, 12:53 AM

n. Offensive Slan.

Comeon now Jimmy, you know as well as I do that there's about as much chance of ****** being used to mean a poor person as there is of gay being used to mean bright and colourful...

so a similar very low fraction as the chance of Audie bringing his kids up with good morals then.

git.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Ohh i see so now it can be censored just because it is a "disparaging term" in that case youre gonna be busy censoring every word that can be considered disparaging. But you can leave "that's gay" and "fag" out, those aren't disparaging at all.

See now if you're going to quote me, finish it, don't just stop when it's convinent for you to try to make me look like i'm being some kind of hypocrite. You forgot this quote i wrote...

I agree with no bashing gay PEOPLE here, we can enforce that

Now wouldn't that cover what you just tried to do?? Where did i say 'fag' was ok along with 'gay'? oops i didn't. Wouldn't 'fag' be the same as bashing gay people, i think so. You done now?

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Comeon now Jimmy, you know as well as I do that there's about as much chance of ****** being used to mean a poor person as there is of gay being used to mean bright and colourful...
git.

Yeah.. that was the point I was making.

Hypergit
11-14-2006, 12:55 AM
no thanks required ;)

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Now wouldn't that cover what you just tried to do?? Where did i say 'fag' was ok along with 'gay'? oops i didn't. Wouldn't 'fag' be the same as bashing gay people, i think so. You done now?

You defended the use of fag as a syllogism for idiot!

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
no thanks required ;)

Haha Appreciate it man.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 01:05 AM
You defended the use of fag as a syllogism for idiot!

YES I DID IN MY FIRST FREAKIN' POST. Because most of the time that's what people mean when they call someone a fag or a faggot, not that they have sex with other guys. And i already said in A LATER POST WHICH I QUOTED that i wouldn't allow bashing of gay people, so being that i didn't defend the word fag along with gay that would be included.

And he didn't back you very well because my definition i pointed out was not the colorful or bright one, it was one that actually applied more to using it in a negative way people do without meaning actual PEOPLE. Damn are you being stubborn about this, you sure you are defending someone specific or are you on some crusade to change the world???

BigBanda
11-14-2006, 01:07 AM
OMG can we just relax a little bit maybe haha. This is a MMA forum not a gay rights, mothers against drunk driving, PETA, KKK, black panter, etc forum lol. If someone is truly offended then say so if not then I dont see that we have a problem. I haven't seen anyone actually bash gays in this forum myself. Everything has all been in fun just like ppl crack jokes about fat people. If it was an actual bashing then I'd understand. I'm with Luis Cruz on being against bashing gays, this is not the place for that. Go find a gay hate forum if u want to do that. That is all.

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 01:40 AM
YES I DID IN MY FIRST FREAKIN' POST. Because most of the time that's what people mean when they call someone a fag or a faggot, not that they have sex with other guys. And i already said in A LATER POST WHICH I QUOTED that i wouldn't allow bashing of gay people, so being that i didn't defend the word fag along with gay that would be included.

And he didn't back you very well because my definition i pointed out was not the colorful or bright one, it was one that actually applied more to using it in a negative way people do without meaning actual PEOPLE. Damn are you being stubborn about this, you sure you are defending someone specific or are you on some crusade to change the world???

Haha I wanna use MMANEWS to as the spark to start the fire that will revolutionize the way we view sexual preference! And YOU have got some nerve calling me stubborn!

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Haha I wanna use MMANEWS to as the spark to start the fire that will revolutionize the way we view sexual preference! And YOU have got some nerve calling me stubborn!

Well you kept mentioning how society needs to change and you're hell bent on starting here with this gay thing. Even after i told you how many times, gay bashing won't be tolerated here, you STILL keep going and going and going.....yea that's called stubborn. Me throwing out FACTS isn't, sorry. I'm done with you i'm falling asleep and the more we have this conversation the less i'm starting to even care what this whole thing was about. If you're going to complain everytime someone says something like "that's gay" then maybe you should post elsewhere because i'm not going to get much more strict than it is now with racism and the other nonsense, just food for thought.

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Well you kept mentioning how society needs to change and you're hell bent on starting here with this gay thing. Even after i told you how many times, gay bashing won't be tolerated here, you STILL keep going and going and going.....yea that's called stubborn. Me throwing out FACTS isn't, sorry. I'm done with you i'm falling asleep and the more we have this conversation the less i'm starting to even care what this whole thing was about. If you're going to complain everytime someone says something like "that's gay" then maybe you should post elsewhere because i'm not going to get much more strict than it is now with racism and the other nonsense, just food for thought.

Dude.. that was a joke. Ok last post. The whole point of this thread was to point out the hypocrisy in not allowing racist or religious comments to the point they are automaticly censored, while condoning degrading comments about sexual preference. I understand you said gay bashing won’t be tolerated, but you ALSO said "I don’t think this is that big of a deal" and fag really means idiot. So I’m sorry if I overstate my point, but when you say “Well I said that in my first post, but later I said something different,” your "FACTS" become contradictory and difficult to follow. Also, to lecture me about going “on and on” when I’m simply coming up with counter arguments in a forum thats sole PURPOSE is suggestion and debate is foolish.
Anyway this is your forum and you make the rules. I’ve not complained before today, nor will I again. My intention was not to make trouble. This is without a doubt the best MMA forum out there. This was just something I thought would make the forum as a whole appear better educated and more creditable.

duran
11-14-2006, 04:11 AM
When we call someone a 'retard' or state that something he did, wrote or said was 'retarded', is that bashing the handicapped?

Discuss.

Clint
11-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Like Cruz has said, I think it's about how the words are used. This thread is gay is commonly used enough that it doesn't have anything to do with sexuality, just like "this thread sucks" has nothign to do with sucking.

However something like "I hate fags" is more than likely going to be a bannable statement (although each case is looked at individually)

tapper
11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
how do you know you're banned, how long does it last, how would one re-apply.

Clint
11-14-2006, 03:03 PM
When you try to log in, it will say that you have been banned, why and for how long.

tapper
11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
cool.

AudieMurphy1
11-14-2006, 11:29 PM

so a similar very low fraction as the chance of Audie bringing his kids up with good morals then.

git.

i would hope that a mod would not allow such an unwarranted attack, and for your inormation i have done a very good job raising my daughter and she has excellent moral judgement, but thank you for showing your true colors

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I don't know how i overlooked that actually. I've been down this road before with someone and myself. DO NOT EVER talk about someone's family. And even though it can't be justified it WAS unwarranted in this instance also Hyper. I'm sure it was meant as a joke because you probably don't even know he has a kid, but leave shit like that alone.

Hypergit
11-15-2006, 02:17 AM
It was a knock on Audie, not his kids. He imho has demonstrated several times in this thread and another that he has dubious moral integrity and that's what I was playing off. I'm surprised that either of you interpreted that post as directed at Audie's family because it seems quite obvious to me it was directed at him, and was somewhat in jest.

With that said, I should have been more careful and I partially agree that it was unwarrented. Due to these reasons (not to be seen as an admission I was insulting a man's family) I apologise.

git.

Luis Cruz
11-15-2006, 03:13 AM
It was a knock on Audie, not his kids. He imho has demonstrated several times in this thread and another that he has dubious moral integrity and that's what I was playing off. I'm surprised that either of you interpreted that post as directed at Audie's family because it seems quite obvious to me it was directed at him, and was somewhat in jest.

With that said, I should have been more careful and I partially agree that it was unwarrented. Due to these reasons (not to be seen as an admission I was insulting a man's family) I apologise.

git.

git. :wavesmile:

dagreat1
12-03-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Luis Cruz] I think when people use the word 'fag' it's usually meaning an idiot or something along those lines QUOTE]

hahaha, that's a great, not only do they like male booty but they are also idiots. You killed it with that one.

I too find myself saying it from time to time but yeah, I think the term "fag: is used too loosely.