PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!!!: Oscar De La Hoya vs Pretty Boy Floyd is OFFICIAL

Afro
11-14-2006, 04:32 AM
De La Hoya to fight Mayweather
By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
6:07 PM PST, November 13, 2006

Ring return
Ring return
click to enlarge
Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather reached an agreement late Monday afternoon to fight May 5, 2007.

Although Mayweather, generally considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, had demanded equal pay to face De La Hoya, the biggest draw in boxing, De La Hoya had balked at that demand.

De La Hoya, who will promote the fight under his Golden Boy Promotions, had made Mayweather an offer roughly a third of the total share, an amount that is expected to exceed $10 million.

De La Hoya's share is expected to exceed $20 million.

De La Hoya had given Mayweather a deadline of Monday or said he would move on to another opponent if Mayweather had failed to accept the terms. Neither side revealed the exact split of the purse, but the fight could financially challenge the 1999 De La Hoya-Felix Trinidad fight, which was the richest in non-heavyweight history. That fight drew $1.4 million pay-per-view buys.

"Oscar is really excited," said Richard Schaefer, head of Golden Boy Promotions. "Oscar knows he will go in as an underdog because he is facing the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

Mayweather beat Carlos Baldomir less than two weeks ago to win the World Boxing Council welterweight championship.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1,862274.story

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 04:35 AM
HELL yes! Have you heard anything about which weight they'll fight at?

Dork8503
11-14-2006, 04:41 AM
no this is what im talking about, this is going to make history

Donny77
11-14-2006, 04:44 AM
Will PBF's dad be in Oscars corner? No way...... Right?

Afro
11-14-2006, 04:44 AM
HELL yes! Have you heard anything about which weight they'll fight at?
shit no, hopefully 147 though.

blightsmite
11-14-2006, 04:49 AM
shit no, hopefully 147 though.

Were you born that stupid? Or did you train yourself?

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Were you born that stupid? Or did you train yourself?

What the fuck is wrong with you dude?

leelandk
11-14-2006, 05:04 AM
I bet it happens at 154, for Oscars sake. He hasn't made 147 for a few years.

Oscar better get "Big Bear" serious for this one. He's facing a better boxer than he's ever faced(B-Hop excluded), and a fighter faster than he's ever faced. The only advantage DLH has is power.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 05:24 AM
This isn't listed anywhere, espn, maxboxing, hbo, nothing. Not sure how creditible that source is but those guys usually have shit quick. It was suppose to be made this week sometime if it happened though so its definately possible.

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Oscar-Floyd is on for May 5!
By Karl Freitag
Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather have reached an agreement to fight on May 5. The fight was finalized today. The bout will be promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. "We are not going to comment what the deal is," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told Fightnews.com. "It's a fair deal and if the pay-per-view hits the numbers which we anticipate it will, it will be new record payday for both guys.....It's going to be big. It's clearly the biggest fight in boxing and I think it's the kind of fight which will transcend and which will clearly capture the interest of the American public and the American sports fans, because it is Mayweather pound-for-pound number one fighter in the sport against Oscar, the most popular and biggest name in the sport. Actually I was looking today at Oscar's trophy case in our office and I was standing in front of one of the belts which was a ring belt that had 'Oscar De La Hoya, pound for pound' on it, and it was 1997. So here we are ten years later and the question is, can he do it again?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oscar realizes this is a dangerous fight," continued Schaefer. "He realizes that he's going in as the underdog, but this is what exactly motivates him, this is what gets him going, this is what he is about and what his entire career is all about. Always going for the biggest challenges. I think that was what his active career was that what he'll be remembered for. The guy who always took on the biggest and the best."

www.fightnews.com

kowarrior
11-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Still half a year away. LOL!

Afro
11-14-2006, 06:34 AM
What the fuck is wrong with you dude?
hes a troll, wont be long before hes banned:confusedsmilie:

aperfectmatrix
11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the fight will be at 154. Oscar is going to dictate everything in the fight, he already got PBF to back down from half the purse to roughly a third (I think). Still, with six months to hype it up I don't think either fighter will be complaining about how much dough they will rake in.

Salvy_Mic
11-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Let's go Oscar!

Anyway, this is the shot in the arm that boxing's needed for awhile...and then some and it's a fight I'll seriously consider buying, since I don't really do PPVs. 2007 looks like it's gonna be a great year for boxing. It seems like Ricky Hatton and Jose Luis Castillo are going to fight, if Manny Pacquiao beats Erik Morales, he's got clear paths to both Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez, we may get to see Joe Calzaghe and Mikkel Kessler unify titles, and Wladimir Klitschko only wants to take unification matches from this point on. Right now, it feels good to be a boxing fan.

Punk Ass
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I bet it happens at 154, for Oscars sake. He hasn't made 147 for a few years.

Oscar better get "Big Bear" serious for this one. He's facing a better boxer than he's ever faced(B-Hop excluded), and a fighter faster than he's ever faced. The only advantage DLH has is power.

He never tried to make 147 since he went to 154. I'm sure he can because he's moved up a lot of weight.

Your talking about DLH fighting a better boxer than he's ever faced like DLH is a average boxer. Can you name a fighter, PBF has fought who is anywhere near the level of DLH? Can you name one as fast? Besides Zab (who is very lacking is heart) I can't, this will be the most dangerous fight ever for PBF. DLH has nothing to lose. Nobody will be surprised if PBF beats DLH and DLH has already proven himself this will take nothing away from DLH's legacy, just add on to PBF.

DLH is by far the best fighter PBF has fought. DLH will win by decision in a grueling fight where DLH exposes PBF and show he's a sucker for the left hook. ALSO.....this will be the first time PBF get's knocked down, because he's never fought anyone who could land a clean punch to his chin. DLH has that type of skill, he's done it to BETTER FIGHTERS. I know some will disagree but i think Mosley is better and Pernell Witaker.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Well i seen it on a site today with a quote from Oscar's people so it must be on! Good shit, it's about time. Still a ways off so let's hope no one gets injured, that would suck. Apparently Floyd is moving up again and Oscar will defend his 154lbs title. Since it's at 154lbs i might be going with Oscar in this one, but it's still a long time so i'll wait until it gets closer to really discuss it.

Punk Ass
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Well i seen it on a site today with a quote from Oscar's people so it must be on! Good shit, it's about time. Still a ways off so let's hope no one gets injured, that would suck. Apparently Floyd is moving up again and Oscar will defend his 154lbs title. Since it's at 154lbs i might be going with Oscar in this one, but it's still a long time so i'll wait until it gets closer to really discuss it.

I dont see how 154ib is a disadvantage for PBF since both of them moved up from LW. Sure Oscar's been there longer but they both had to start somewhere. I really dont think it makes a difference what weight class it's in because they both are of simular reach and height because they both started at LW. In fact DLH will be stronger at 147 and PBF will not be as strong because he hasnt grown into the weight class as much as DLH and DLH is just bigger. That's why many fighters drop weight, so they can be stronger at a lower weight class.

Please give me a reason why 147 will be an advantage for PBF and not for DLH???

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I dont see how 154ib is a disadvantage for PBF since both of them moved up from LW. Sure Oscar's been there longer but they both had to start somewhere. I really dont think it makes a difference what weight class it's in because they both are of simular reach and height because they both started at LW. In fact DLH will be stronger at 147 and PBF will not be as strong because he hasnt grown into the weight class as much as DLH and DLH is just bigger. That's why many fighters drop weight, so they can be stronger at a lower weight class.

Please give me a reason why 147 will be an advantage for PBF and not for DLH???

I think everybody on earth knows that. lol

You contradicted yourself a bit there. First you say there isn't much of a size difference to make a difference what weight it happens at then you say if Oscar fights at 147 he'll be better cause he's bigger and Floyd hasn't grown into the weightclass yet. So with that being said, surely you must think it'd be even worse for Floyd at 154, because if he hasn't grown into 147 yet how the heck is he going to fair at 154 a bigger class he's never been at??

Well for one and most importantly, Oscar hasn't seen 147lbs since he fought Gatti well over 5 years ago so his body is accustomed to 154lbs. While Floyd just moved up there from 140 a year ago and now he's already jumping to 154 (PLUS Oscar has about 3 more inches in height than Floyd to fill out better, reach has nothing to do with anything when talking weight unless it's a distinct advantage). At what weight they started their careers at is completely irrelevant to where they are at now. I thought Oscar would come back to 147 when he originally announced he wanted to fight again before the Mayorga fight was announced. For whatever reason he didn't. I'm thinking he finds it easier to make 154 right now and it might be a little struggle for him to cut to 147lbs. and he can't have any disadvantages going into this fight. I don't know if you ever seen Oscar when he wasn't actively fighting but he blows up pretty good. So if this didn't make my point here are my reasons as to why 147 might favor Mayweather and 154 Oscar...

1. Mayweather has been at 147 for the last year and has never fought at 154lbs.

2. Oscar might find it hard to make 147lbs since he hasn't been that weight in a while plus he knows Floyd will have more disadvantages coming to 154lbs.

3. Oscar is most comfortable at 154 in this point of his career.

4. Oscar knows Floyd coming to 154 will only decrease his speed, movement, and power (if not a lot at least some and however little it could make a difference) that much more while Oscar will still have all his speed and a distinct power advantage.

That's 4 very good and logical reasons why there's a difference on where this fight takes place. Oscar is VERY smart and will use every edge he can get.

I believe Floyd's father already stated prior to this that he has decided if they were to ever fight he would train Oscar and then watch Oscar knock his son out.

Also Mayweather has been down before. Carlos Hernandez caught and dropped him in the middle rounds somewhere when he was still a Jr. Lightweight. But i do agree that Oscar's left hook could be the key to victory for him in this fight. Against right handers Floyd excels, against southpaws he's had his share of problems at times. Oscar isn't a southpaw but he just happens to have a brutal left hook which makes him even that much more dangerous.

Punk Ass
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
1. Mayweather has been at 147 for the last year and has never fought at 154lbs.

2. Oscar might find it hard to make 147lbs since he hasn't been that weight in a while plus he knows Floyd will have more disadvantages coming to 154lbs.

3. Oscar is most comfortable at 154 in this point of his career.

4. Oscar knows Floyd coming to 154 will only decrease his speed, movement, and power (if not a lot at least some and however little it could make a difference) that much more while Oscar will still have all his speed and a distinct power advantage.

Well first of all, I don't think PBF coming to 154 will decrease his speed any more than it has to DLH, remember DLH was a LW once so it's the same difference. I also think DLH can easily make 147 and the only reason he's at 154 is because he wanted to fight better compitition and right now he's the WBC JMW champion (last I checked because he never lost it). I think DLH has too much integrity to try and intentionally look for an advantage other than studying his opponent's style.

I do think PBF has the ability to KO DLH because they are naturally around the same size so I don't think DLH's power is as much of an advantage. The only advantage for DLH is strength, the fact that finally DLH is fighting someone his size, and someone he can KO with 1 punch, given the chance.

Matt Boone
11-14-2006, 07:33 PM
They could go door to door promoting the fight trying to get one person at a time to buy the PPV of their match. When they get to my door, I'd still say "I'll believe it when I see it." The only time I can recall wanting a fight this much, but not even reacting when it was signed - Tyson/Lewis. I knew it was officially signed, but just assumed something would fuck it up and probably closer to the last minute. I'm expecting the same thing here. I was wrong last time, I hope I am this time too.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Well first of all, I don't think PBF coming to 154 will decrease his speed any more than it has to DLH, remember DLH was a LW once so it's the same difference. I also think DLH can easily make 147 and the only reason he's at 154 is because he wanted to fight better compitition and right now he's the WBC JMW champion (last I checked because he never lost it). I think DLH has too much integrity to try and intentionally look for an advantage other than studying his opponent's style.

I do think PBF has the ability to KO DLH because they are naturally around the same size so I don't think DLH's power is as much of an advantage. The only advantage for DLH is strength, the fact that finally DLH is fighting someone his size, and someone he can KO with 1 punch, given the chance.

You're not getting it man. lol Oscar is a naturally bigger guy now. I told you back then just cause they were both LWs at one time doesn't apply now, it goes back to that whole conversation we had about guys getting bigger with age and i already explained that. Yea Mayweather will lose some speed, he already has at WW from Jr WW if you couldn't tell. This fight is at 154 and it is for Oscar's title i posted that already. You underestimate Oscar thinking he don't want every advantage in this fight he can get, like i said he's a very smart fighter. Mayweather WILL NOT ko Oscar at 154lbs. They ARE NOT the same size. 154 is now and has been Oscar's natural weightclass, it is by no means Mayweather's he's still a natural 140lbs fighter. Now apply what i said and reread my last post cause that explained everything clear as day and no way am i gonna start repeating myself when i already made my points. lol I really just don't think you understand the concept of people growing in size as fighters, you think everyone has a Hopkins ability to stay at the same weight forever and that's what's preventing you from understanding these certain things. I'm not trying to be a dick to you so don't take it wrong, but i can tell you're not that up to speed with the body maturing.

Luis Cruz
11-14-2006, 07:41 PM
They could go door to door promoting the fight trying to get one person at a time to buy the PPV of their match. When they get to my door, I'd still say "I'll believe it when I see it." The only time I can recall wanting a fight this much, but not even reacting when it was signed - Tyson/Lewis. I knew it was officially signed, but just assumed something would fuck it up and probably closer to the last minute. I'm expecting the same thing here. I was wrong last time, I hope I am this time too.

Barring any serious injuries training this is a done deal, there's too much money on the line for this fight for either to turn around. This has a good chance at breaking the record and surpassing 2 million ppv buys and the revenue. I say Oscar walks with 30 mil and Mayweather with at least 15 when all is said and done. It's 20-10mil right now in Oscars favor but all those buys and everything else will make that number skyrocket to about what i said.

JimmyMoore
11-14-2006, 08:33 PM

That is exactly what I thought when I first heard about the fight. May is a LONG time away, and there are some huge egos that are gonna have to work together until then. The $ could save this fight or break it. If this thing really blows up, Floyd's ego is WAY too big to let Oscar rake in a profit grossly disproportionate to his. But I hope I'm wrong too.