PDA

View Full Version : dont get the point of tuf

Dork8503
11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
i dont really understand that point of tuf, you go on the show to compete to win a contract but almost every fighter on all of the tuf shows have gone on to compete in ufc, so what is the real point besides the winners get 100,000 until this season i understand that swick and kenflo ahve worked there way up but some of the other fighter should have went else were and worked there way back up to ufc

Annihalus
11-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I also don't understand why TUF losers have fought for titles while the winners haven't.

Uzi9cm
11-14-2006, 06:03 PM
TUF has a massive fan base, and the contestants on it become more well known than a large amount of the regulars from UFC.

Obviously to make an attractive fight card, you need names people know.

The winners of TUF get the status and the UFC fights, whereas the losers, more often than not get the Fight Night events.

Kenny Florian and Nate Quarry are the exceptions, but both proved their worth against opponents they faced and so deserved the title shots they did.

I want to know how many people Chris Leben has to beat to get a UFC bout, his only loss was against Anderson Silva, who now has proved his worth.

BigBanda
11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Well it's all about publicity and gaining a wider audience. Look how the UFC exploded after the 1st TUF. Dana knows its more than just finding some fighters, he's found a genious marketing idea for the UFC. It does kind of take away from the point of the show when the losers actually get fights in the UFC after though. But it just goes right back to marketing and his audience. These fighters, winners or losers, from TUF series are familiar faces to fanatics of the show and Dana knows it so he's trying to feed more green to his company.

Dork8503
11-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I also don't understand why TUF losers have fought for titles while the winners haven't.

yeah like deigo hasnt got his shot, but nate quarry did i dont understand it
same with forrest, both better fighters then nate we all saw what happen when he got in there with franklin

Metalhead
11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I think they should get the winner to fight the champion from here on. No sense going back to just a $100000 contract. That way the other guys can still fight in the UFC and earn their way up.

i smash faces
11-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I want to know how many people Chris Leben has to beat to get a UFC bout, his only loss was against Anderson Silva, who now has proved his worth.

Leben in fighting Jason MacDonald in December, I believe.

Uzi9cm
11-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Leben in fighting Jason MacDonald in December, I believe.

Yeah i was happy when i saw that one :grinsmile1:

The TUF fighters who have had title shots didnt win, purely cos they were not ready, Forrest, Diego, Joe, Kendall....... they are all getting fights which slowly progress in difficulty.

At the end of the day these fighters are not the best, and sticking them in the ring with the best will turn them into laughing stocks.

Vigilo
11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
The last TUF sucked but as a tv show to give some hopeful warriors who have never had a big shot a chance at the big time its awesome.

But last Tuf was comebacks so it defeated the purpose of the show to give new guys a shot.

Either way i have waited so many years to see mma get really popular i'm not about to knocked any of it just yet. Its so cool how everyone is so excited about it

I want to see challenges back. They can't be thinking about injuries i saw more injuries with training than i did with challenges. I hate watching them sit in the house and occasionally break stuff. Its like Big Brother only no chicks:(

D.O.
11-21-2006, 04:03 AM
same with forrest, both better fighters then nate we all saw what happen when he got in there with franklin

It is all about the division he was in. Seeing as Diego was in the talent rich WW division, it'll take longer for him to get a title shot. As for Forrest, he clearly would have been given a title match had he defeated Tito. Now he'll have to work his way back up. With Quarry it was all about needing someone people knew to fight Franklin, in what was probably at the time the thinnest division (outside of heavyweight.)

Donny77
11-21-2006, 05:26 AM
I see ur point, its become redundant but the ratings speak loud enough to keep producing tuf.

Palma
12-02-2006, 01:56 AM
TUF has a massive fan base, and the contestants on it become more well known than a large amount of the regulars from UFC.

Obviously to make an attractive fight card, you need names people know.

The winners of TUF get the status and the UFC fights, whereas the losers, more often than not get the Fight Night events.

Kenny Florian and Nate Quarry are the exceptions, but both proved their worth against opponents they faced and so deserved the title shots they did.

In Re: Leben. Silva was the only "real" fighter he has fought. He needs to at least fight another contender to see where he is actually at.

Rufio
12-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Eh, Leben fought Cote. Beating a guy who went to a decision with Tito is not that bad, especially given they have the same style.

stanthrax
12-19-2006, 03:01 AM
for the money and recognition...
Dana knows if people get to see the fighters on a regular basis... in and out of the ring..they'll grow attatched to them and follow...

as far as the title shot situation... i dunno.. just depends on weight classes... like if they did a TUF for heavyweight now.. they'd probably go right to a title shot because there aren't so many good heavyweight contenders...
whereas in the welterweight division, there are already a lot of good fighters in line

BKS
12-20-2006, 04:53 AM
I think that TUF is opening MMA to a wider fanbase, and it's getting names out there. A while back, someone was talking about how they were flipping through the channels and saw this blonde guy bleeding like a faucet onto another guy.

My response: Oh, you mean Bam Bam?

Some of the fighters that lose on TUF aren't always horrible fighters. In fact, these fighters are sometimes more fun to watch, knowing something wild may happen, as opposed to watching Tim Sylvia dance around with who ever for 5 rounds, or Chuck Liddell breaking someones face in the first. (Even though there is nothing wrong with Chuck's style)

badass Jeff
12-30-2006, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Derek4jc]It is all about the division he was in. Seeing as Diego was in the talent rich WW division, it'll take longer for him to get a title shot. As for Forrest, he clearly would have been given a title match had he defeated Tito. Now he'll have to work his way back up. With Quarry it was all about needing someone people knew to fight Franklin, in what was probably at the time the thinnest division (outside of heavyweight.)[/QUOT

badass Jeff
12-30-2006, 10:07 AM
The reason the ufc has tuf is to promote the new ufc fighters and to get a fan base with the new guys. They would have signed them anyways but with the exposure they get on spiketv it is the best thing they could do to get their company going

TheBonger
12-30-2006, 07:11 PM
In Re: Leben. Silva was the only "real" fighter he has fought. He needs to at least fight another contender to see where he is actually at.

come on now Palma, I expected more from you. So your saying Cote,Rivera, Dewees, Doerkson and Swick are not "real" fighers?

duran
12-30-2006, 08:02 PM
I am still surprised that Leben beat Rivera. I actually like Rivera in a rematch and I think it would be a helluva fight. Rivera is still going to surprise some people. Power is the last thing an aging fighter loses and Rivera hits hard.

Beowulf
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
leben and nate werent ready for title shots, but the chris leben anderson silva fight was genius.

if silva won, thats a great fighter who isnt known to many only ufc fans, so by him beating chris the average joe would see hes for real, if chris won, guys who know alot about mma and silva would see chris is for real, i just personally dont think leben was ready

but i do think the veterans getting a title shot is moronic, edwin dewees, patrick cote, and jorge rivera could of all won a title shot vs silva, leben as beat all 3 of them, look what silva did to lebel.

also, matt sera v gsp is a boring fight, sera is a mini matt hughes, only weaker, worse wrestling, slightly worse standup i think, and maybe better submissions,

lutter vs silva..come on... lutter cant stand and throw with anyone, his wrestling isnt too good, even if he gets silva down, silva is either a black belt in ju jitz ju or close to it i believe

Dork8503
01-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Do you think Tuf 6 will be all heavys seeing they need it the most

Clint
01-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Do you think Tuf 6 will be all heavys seeing they need it the most
It would be the smart thing to do if they can come up with 16 half decent heavyweights.

Bullock
01-27-2007, 11:54 PM
It would be the smart thing to do if they can come up with 16 half decent heavyweights.
Considering how hard it was last time, I dunno. Practically every hw from TUF2 dropped to lhw.

Dork8503
01-29-2007, 07:48 AM
maybe they can put mirko on there just to build him up, kidding. Yeah i forgot about everyone dropping, maybe they will do a all mw or lhw or hw, hopefully hw because the need it bad, they dont need anymore ww or lw

supermark21
02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
maybe they can put mirko on there just to build him up, kidding. Yeah i forgot about everyone dropping, maybe they will do a all mw or lhw or hw, hopefully hw because the need it bad, they dont need anymore ww or lw
Maybe CC and Sylvia as coaches before the title fight?
I wouldnt mind that

foutch550
02-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Speaking of Nate Quarry, anyone know why he hasnt fought since being knocked out vs. Franklin?

808botz
02-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Yes Quarry has somthing wrong with his back or neckkk.I forget but i read about it. They have to fuse somethings together if rehab does not work...But rehab has not been working...Somedays he has a hard time walking...If he goes underneath the knife..Hes days fighting is most likey done...Its was on his myspace.....try check it out