PDA

View Full Version : Jean-Claude Van Damme to fight professionally in K-1

Repenter
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Jean-Claude Van Damme to fight Somluck Kamsing in K-1 (http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Jean-Claude-Van-Damme-to-fight-Somluck-Kamsing-in-K-1.html)

i'm not sure what to think of this...

Pasha K
09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
It will be very interesting, We will see if Van Damme is a real martial Artist or just a Canseco version 2

Punk Ass
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
He's old as fuck now, he should have fought years ago.

Repenter
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
now ignoring age, i'm sure that van dam has plenty of asskickery within those legs of his, and could hold his own most of the time... but this is a pretty high level to be jumping into.

valheruking
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
This is funny, I can see this either not happening or Somluck going easy and picking up his paycheck. I don't think those acrobatic legs of his are used to getting the shit kicked out of them.

Maybe Van Damme is a big hitter though lol who knows, he should have the weight advantage.

Isn't it a few years too late to be trying this out though

Ramma
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't even know what to think of this..... but either way, I don't see it going well for JCVD. Given, he will probably have help from both Fedor and Cro Cop... but.. yeah.

Dioxippus
09-11-2009, 05:11 AM
JCVD has been about "keeping it real" the past few years, with that movie and the soul journey and what have you. I think this fight will be something important for him no matter what the outcome. People will bash him because he'll most certainly not perform like a career fighter, but I think their beef will mainly be their self-contempt for being avid fans of his when they were 14 or something. I say good luck to him.

Badluck33
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
In what has to be the weirdest update since Jose Canseco took part in Dream, actor Jean-Claude Van Damme has signed to fight a professional Muay Thai fight in March 2010.

Van Damme’s opponent will be Somluck Kamsing, a 1996 Olympic gold medal winner in boxing hailing for Thailand. The fight will take place in Las Vegas and be contested under Muay Thai rules with five two-minute rounds. Kamsing has also reported that he will be paid in part based on broadcast revenue, so the fight will be aired in some way – no details yet if it will be on a network or PPV.

Holy Shit!!!! (http://k1legend.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/jean-claude-van-damme-to-fight-professionally/)

Man, I love this if this is true. I'm a huuuuuuuuge JCVD fan. I just went out and bought like 10 of his movies over the past month. I don't care how corny they are, he still was my favorite action star growing up and I may consider seeing him fight next year.

Mods: Move this where you want. Just wanted to let everyone know....

EDIT: Just read on his facebook that he accepted the fight and will be ready march 2010!!!

To put the rumors down, Sensei Claude Goetz (Van Damme's martial arts instructor) confirms that JCVD wanted to do a big fight since ten years - Sensei Goetz always used his veto - but for JCVD it seems to be a vital, physical and moral matter.
Sensei Goetz has given his authorization under conditions!
The medicine faculty approbation and a strictly hard training like thirty years ago.
The fight is planned to be held in May, June or July 2010 in accordance with the arrangements.
The opponent will be the Thai fighter Somluck Kamsing, Olympic gold-medalist in boxing and muay thai champ.
Pictures and other information will regularly follow, particularly the signed contract and training sessions.

"Hey, sensei! The world is talking about it? It'll be hot! I'll be ready!"
— Jean-Claude Van Damme

Sakara=Excitement
09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
JCVD the movie was great.....hope he does well because if he doesn't, he will turn back into a joke. That movie really helped him out so who knows?

Repenter
09-16-2009, 12:13 AM
beatcha by about a week in the striking forum. ZAP

diction10
09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
haha I remember him in the ring with Fedor after Fedor beat HMC I think? I don't remember exactly and may be wrong but it was just so random to see Jean-Claude Van Damme in the ring with Fedor...

Ahura
09-16-2009, 04:08 AM
loved him as a kid,lol think most who grew up in that time did, ill never forget bloodsport.

Clark80
09-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Bloodsport was good but I will never forget kickboxer!

GL Jeff
09-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I loved JCVD, great come back. And I want to see him get a nod from the oscars for it. Now if he plays his cards right, he can end his career with dignity.

Did anyone else love when hes in court,and the lawyer is naming all his movies,and how people die in them, classic.

sikk
09-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Awesome! Loved JCVD movies when I was a kid. I actually met him right before he shot Hard Target on my way back to Seattle from Cali, he was riding on the same airplane as me and I went and shook hands yada yada. Was really cool to meet since he was pretty big back then. Can't wait to see the fight.

Marouuu
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
No way :) always wanted to see this
WAR JCVD

lifefighter
09-16-2009, 09:58 AM
I hope he does well , Then again Van dam got beat up outside the bar in Vancouver about 10 years ago

Otomosix
09-16-2009, 10:17 AM
JCVD has been about "keeping it real" the past few years, with that movie and the soul journey and what have you. I think this fight will be something important for him no matter what the outcome. People will bash him because he'll most certainly not perform like a career fighter, but I think their beef will mainly be their self-contempt for being avid fans of his when they were 14 or something. I say good luck to him.

Well said.

integer
09-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Let's just hope he passes the drug test. Wait, they're fighting in Japan

lordpyro
09-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I did some research and JCVD appears to be a legit fighter. It seems he was the European Middleweight Karate champ and went 18-2 in Full Contact matches. All of his wins were by KO most in the first round.

This is could be a intresting bout.

Jean-Claude Van Damme - Biography (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000241/bio)

gspfan09
09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
he's old as fuck now, he should have fought years ago.

agreed!

pa99ortiz
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
He would have done great about 10 years ago, not so sure now.

Kfox
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
So Van Damme will be 49 and a half when this fight takes place. . .
Does anyone think there should be a mid life crisis weight class at this point?
All of these middle-aged martial artists are climbing out of the woodwork for a piece of the MMA pie.
Also to put it into perspective, JCVD retired from competitive martial arts in 1980.

Chuck Norris at 70> JCVD at 50

amosaback
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
People will bash him because he'll most certainly not perform like a career fighter, but I think their beef will mainly be their self-contempt for being avid fans of his when they were 14 or something. I say good luck to him.

That's pretty funny, but I think you're right on the money. Nobody realized, when they were 16 years old, just how bad those movies were: we loved them. Now that we know how bad they are we feel cheated and bitterness and spite are the only tools we have to work with. Very perceptive...

mason
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Lion Heart

xeducatex
09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
im surprised none of you are aware that jcvd was very active in kickboxing early in his career and most of his fights ended by 1 round ko. Im sure if mma had been as huge then as it is now he would have stuck with that as opposed to making shitty direct to bargin bin movies.

1976 European Karate Union Van Oostrum, ToonToon Van Oostrum Win, 1 round KO
1977 Netherlands Kick Boxing Devos, MauriceMaurice Devos Win, 1 round TKO
1978 European Karate Union Strauss, Eric BrunoEric Bruno Strauss Win, 1 round KO[27]
1978 European Karate Union Juvillier, MichelMichel Juvillier Win, 1 round KO
1978 European Karate Union Lang, OrlandoOrlando Lang Win, 1 round TKO
1978 World All Style Leibman, EmileEmile Leibman Win, 1 round KO
1978 World All Style Nollet, CyrilleCyrille Nollet Win, 1 round TKO
1979 World All Style Robaeys, AndreAndre Robaeys Win, 1 round KO
1979 World All Style Piniarski, JacquesJacques Piniarski Win, 1 round KO
1979 World All Style Risberg, RolfRolf Risberg Win, 1 round KO
1979 November World Full Contact Bergman, ShermanSherman Bergman Win, 1 round KO[25][26]
1979 November World Full Contact Diaz, Gilberto (Gil)Gilberto (Gil) Diaz Win, 1 round TKO
1979 November World Full Contact Teugels, PatrickPatrick Teugels Loss, 2 round decision
1980 March European Professional Benamou, Mustapha-AhmadMustapha-Ahmad Benamou Win, 1 round KO
1980 March European Professional Muhammad, Bekim-MoussaBekim-Moussa Muhammad Win, 1 round TKO
1980 March European Professional Heming, Micheal J.Micheal J. Heming Win, 2 round TKO [8]
1980 March Professional Karate Assoc. Verlugels, GeorgesGeorges Verlugels Win, 2 round KO [28]
1980 European Professional Kovac, AndresAndres Kovac Win, 2 round KO
1980 Forest Nationals (Brussels) Teugels, PatrickPatrick Teugels Win, 1 round TKO

if anyone from the "movie" world could come in a get a win or at least have a good fight i would think its him. as long as he can train as hard as he needs to, stays off the coke, and no one throws quicklime in his eyes.

jody
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I grew up on that goofy shit:)I used to pretend the post on the porch was the tree in Kickboxer.That being said,no Mr. Time Cop,No!

sarcastos
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I did some research and JCVD appears to be a legit fighter. It seems he was the European Middleweight Karate champ and went 18-2 in Full Contact matches. All of his wins were by KO most in the first round.

This is could be a intresting bout.

Jean-Claude Van Damme - Biography (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000241/bio)

I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone brought this up, everyone thinks JCVD is only a movie fighter. I've known for ages about his pro fights and i think his coming out of a retirement is AWESOME. let's just hope he hasn't Mercered up over the years.

Otomosix
09-16-2009, 11:34 PM
So Van Damme will be 49 and a half when this fight takes place. . .
Does anyone think there should be a mid life crisis weight class at this point?
All of these middle-aged martial artists are climbing out of the woodwork for a piece of the MMA pie.
Also to put it into perspective, JCVD retired from competitive martial arts in 1980.

Chuck Norris at 70> JCVD at 50

Umm...no. Even back in the day of Walker, Texas Ranger, it was obvious Chuck wasn't doing half of his own fight scenes (you can easily tell whenever his character does any sort of fancy kick or quick movement).
And yeah, JCVD is old but Ron Van Clief was 51 when he participated in UFC 1. Maybe it is a mid-life crisis and maybe it's not. But with his pedigree of martial arts experience, who cares?

Kfox
09-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Umm...no. Even back in the day of Walker, Texas Ranger, it was obvious Chuck wasn't doing half of his own fight scenes (you can easily tell whenever his character does any sort of fancy kick or quick movement).
And yeah, JCVD is old but Ron Van Clief was 51 when he participated in UFC 1. Maybe it is a mid-life crisis and maybe it's not. But with his pedigree of martial arts experience, who cares?

Fight scenes?

Do some research man, Chuck Norris is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more highly decorated in the SAME disciplines as JCVD.

Seriously your only point is fight scenes? Norris is the first black belt in WESTERN HEMISPHERE. lol at your ignorance.

Otomosix
09-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Fight scenes?

Do some research man, Chuck Norris is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more highly decorated in the SAME disciplines as JCVD.

Seriously your only point is fight scenes? Norris is the first black belt in WESTERN HEMISPHERE. lol at your ignorance.

You totally missed my point, priyatel. I was responding to your "Chuck Norris @ 70 > JCVD @ 50" remark. I assumed that everyone on the planet with a pulse already knew Chuck Norris was a world-class competitor back in the 1960's before he started doing movies and TV shows. My point was that he is way more out of shape than JCVD probably is (partially because of age and partially because he stopped doing simple things like his own fight scenes in craptastic shows like Walker, Texas Ranger).

So please get a grip and THINK about what you're actually responding to before you start accusing others of being ignorant. But then again...what can I expect from someone who thinks a 70-year old Chuck Norris trumps a 50-year old JCVD...

Kfox
09-17-2009, 04:01 AM
You totally missed my point, priyatel. I was responding to your "Chuck Norris @ 70 > JCVD @ 50" remark. I assumed that everyone on the planet with a pulse already knew Chuck Norris was a world-class competitor back in the 1960's before he started doing movies and TV shows. My point was that he is way more out of shape than JCVD probably is (partially because of age and partially because he stopped doing simple things like his own fight scenes in craptastic shows like Walker, Texas Ranger).

So please get a grip and THINK about what you're actually responding to before you start accusing others of being ignorant. But then again...what can I expect from someone who thinks a 70-year old Chuck Norris trumps a 50-year old JCVD...

saddest part is you make an assumptions over a joke in real life context.

Ramma
09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
im surprised none of you are aware that jcvd was very active in kickboxing early in his career and most of his fights ended by 1 round ko. Im sure if mma had been as huge then as it is now he would have stuck with that as opposed to making shitty direct to bargin bin movies.

I am aware that he fought very early on in his life, not even his career. The problem is that it will be 30 years... yes, 30 years... since the last time he fought.

Those were amateur bouts of 30 years ago. A lot has changed in 30 years... included the level of competition and, you know, the state of his body. Those were also karate bouts. This is kickboxing.

Tenacious_Thunder
09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
lol this very might be ligit.........
If this actually happens, i see a thing like when pride offered Rampage more money to lose than to win to sakuraba, that same thing to Somluck

lilfella84
10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
He did fight years ago check his wiki out they have pics and his pro record from belgium he was actually a decent kickboxer

beau420
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Chuck may have trained under different disciplines, but his professional fights I have seen were all Karate on points system and some were non contact. But now looking over his entire fight record I see that he fought a lot more than I thought.....I wasn't even alive at the time. And I still am not a fan of his World Combat League, and having to see Cecil Peoples as ref....makes it more aggravating.

JCVD fought a lot less, and his last movie, called JCVD, that tells me that he has or is still going through a mid life crisis....movie was alright...it honestly, could have been a real story...not something I would have expected from JC. Got to respect him for trying....I am sure he will get more viewers than a Jose Canseco fight. It would be cool if he fought another actor. The movie Kickboxer has to be one of the movies I have watched the most....still have a copy of it on Beta....I had no clue Michel Qissi (Tong Po) was his real life friend.

Either way...for nostalgia sake....War JCVD....winner by doing the splits and upercutting his opponent in the nads...Ref sees it gives him the win because it is his special move. I want to see him pose and scream after each punch or kick he throws while he groans and stares off into the distance, not even looking at his opponent.

bizh8ed
11-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Next I was the see Steven Segal vs JCVD. For the title of most cheesiest movies. I just saw Segal on A&E doing a COPS like show.

MuAyThAiFiGhTeR2
11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
if your talking about Segal movies then he takes the cake no problem...Segal will break your neck

kickbox
11-25-2010, 10:59 PM
JCVD via street fighter leg upper cut.