PDA

View Full Version : Jermain Taylor calls out Calzaghe and want's to retire??

Punk Ass
11-19-2006, 07:32 AM
LAS VEGAS, United States (AFP) - Unbeaten World Boxing Council middleweight champion Jermain Taylor plans to move into the super middleweight ranks next year and is aiming for a showdown with unbeaten Briton Joe Calzaghe.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Sunday that Taylor wants to move up in weight class next year before planning to retire by August of 2009.

Taylor will make the last defense of his crown December 9 against Uganda's Kassim Ouma in Taylor's hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas. He told the newspaper that making weight at the 160-pound limit has become much tougher.

"It's all but impossible for me to do it now," said Taylor.

Taylor, 25-0 with one draw, is hoping for a chance to avenge his friend Jeff Lacy's loss at the hands of International Boxing Federation super middleweight champion Calzaghe, 34. The unbeaten British southpaw is 42-0 with 31 knockouts.

"Calzaghe is a fight I would love because he's supposed to be the man there and those are the guys I want," Taylor said.

Taylor, 28, said he plans to retire at age 30. His 30th birthday is August 11, 2008.

"Boxing is a job, that's all. What's the point of sticking around?" Taylor said. "To get extra, extra rich? I'm already rich, richer than I ever thought, so I don't need to be any richer. I'm going to get out and never look back."

What the hell is going on with these boxers these days? It seems to be all about the money. What the hell happend to the love of the sweet science? Every great boxer wants to retire early :confusedsmilie:

JimmyMoore
11-19-2006, 07:36 AM
WHY the fuck is everybody acting like they are gonna retire!?

Punk Ass
11-19-2006, 07:49 AM
WHY the fuck is everybody acting like they are gonna retire!?

I have no idea but this is bullshit. Boxing will really start to take a dive if the biggest drawing fighters start to all retire at 30. WTF!!!!!:angrrry:

Luis Cruz
11-19-2006, 11:38 PM
This is insane! As young as they are, Taylor saying 3 years, Floyd saying after Oscar??!! Both in their primes and Taylor will definately be prime in '09 that's only 3 freakin' year?! I hate to say it cause i like Taylor but what the hell happened to the real warriors of this sport? Must we really just watching boxing from 147lbs and down because above that it's lacking some serious shit.

icemanct
11-20-2006, 12:06 AM
pssssssssssh all for the money.they can kiss my ass they're not true champs you have to do what b hop and roy jones did to become one of the greatest or a true champion.pbf and jt are pussies thats bullshit if you retire at age 30 in your prime.mma is doing better then boxing cause they have guys who are willing to compete and and fight their heart out each and everytime they step into the ring or octagon.mma guys retire when they are past their prime and have done everything they can to become the best alla randy couture alla ken shamrock etc.

Afro
11-20-2006, 02:08 AM
pssssssssssh all for the money.they can kiss my ass they're not true champs you have to do what b hop and roy jones did to become one of the greatest or a true champion.pbf and jt are pussies thats bullshit if you retire at age 30 in your prime.mma is doing better then boxing cause they have guys who are willing to compete and and fight their heart out each and everytime they step into the ring or octagon.mma guys retire when they are past their prime and have done everything they can to become the best alla randy couture alla ken shamrock etc.
your basing this off of 2 boxers..

icemanct
11-20-2006, 02:37 AM
your basing this off of 2 boxers..mma > boxing.nuff said

Afro
11-20-2006, 02:43 AM
mma > boxing.nuff said
then stay in the MMA forum

BTW, The Pacqiauo fight was the best fight on Saturday.

icemanct
11-20-2006, 02:54 AM
then stay in the MMA forum

BTW, The Pacqiauo fight was the best fight on Saturday.didnt pacqiauo destry him in 3 rounds?

Afro
11-20-2006, 02:55 AM
didnt pacqiauo destry him in 3 rounds?
yes but it was still an awesome fight.. of course a 12 round war woulda been nice, but from round 1 to the 3rd round neither of them skipped a beat, and Paciquao destroyed him, the counter punching was nice.. and Pac was just a blaze.

icemanct
11-20-2006, 02:58 AM
yes but it was still an awesome fight.. of course a 12 round war woulda been nice, but from round 1 to the 3rd round neither of them skipped a beat, and Paciquao destroyed him, the counter punching was nice.. and Pac was just a blaze.sets it up for my boy marco antonio barrera to beat pac man

Afro
11-20-2006, 03:00 AM
sets it up for my boy marco antonio barrera to beat pac man
WOW ur the 2nd person out of like 100 ppl that gave an opinion on that fight that thinks Barrera will beat pacman lol, we'll see about that i'd love to see the fight but Pacman is too good.

icemanct
11-20-2006, 03:00 AM
im sure you heard pacquioa is no longer with golden boy so this will make it a good fight

icemanct
11-20-2006, 03:04 AM
WOW ur the 2nd person out of like 100 ppl that gave an opinion on that fight that thinks Barrera will beat pacman lol, we'll see about that i'd love to see the fight but Pacman is too good.well im biased for barrera cause hes one of my favorite boxers and hes mexican like me

Salvy_Mic
11-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I can't help but see this fight go the same as the first fight. Pacquiao's got such amazing speed in relation with the huge power he has in both hands. Barrera's best chance is too outfight him like he did to Rocky Juarez in their second fight, but Pacquiao's the kind of guy who takes jabs, laughs, and gets inside to deal damage.

Anyway, the fight I most want to see is a rematch between Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. Highly controversial and exciting first match ended in a draw, and I hear Pacquiao wants this fight more than the Barrera fight. But if Pac is able to put a Marquez notch on his gunbelt, than for my money, Pacquiao is the most deserving fighter on earth to call himself the pound for pound best in the world. He could very well call lay claim to that, because I think 3 KO wins over Barrera and Morales, plus a near win against Marquez, on top of his other credentials, looks very good against Mayweather's perfect record.

Luis Cruz
11-20-2006, 05:57 AM
I think Pac's wild style just frustrates Barrera enough to throw him off his game and drop a decision in the rematch. But if he can stay focused and actually use his great boxing skills, i think he can pull it out, he just can't let Pac get to him with his wild and crazy punches he throw. Maybe use effective countering off of that and he'll be ok. I expect Oscar to do everything to help Barrera be ready as i know he'll be looking for some revenge for Pac dropping him to go back with Arum.